OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX L

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voight24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX L
    Posted: December/07/2005 at 08:34

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_VX-L.htm

Here is the answer to "In 2006 we will eclipse all you know about riflesopes"

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2005 at 08:41
Now, I really like Leupold, but this looks like a gimmick to me.  It's good that you can mount the scope lower, but you've still got a scope that's a lot bigger and heavier than you need.  At first glance I'd put this in the illuminated reticle category, also known as the useless as tits on a boar hog category.
voight24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voight24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2005 at 08:58
Chuck Hawks (big leo lover) even says that they are just trying to make what will sell. Marketing is what drives the big obj lens nothing else.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2005 at 14:02

If that is their big suprise, it is going to be a long year in OR.

ranburr

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2005 at 16:25

Gimmick nothing more.  Yeah it can be mounted low for a 50mm objective still has too much weight in my opinion for a hunting rifle.  I like the comments about how Leupold is just making a product for which people are buying.  LOL  Most people I know dont use 50mm bells.

Many shooters want a good quality scope at a decent price.  Leupold didnt need to invent the eclipse, didnt need to change a thing except their price.  Lower the prices on the VXIII line to compete with the scopes of the same general optical quality and more people will buy them. 

I checked the store here for a basic 3-9 type of hunting scopes that I think will compete or in some cases exceed  optical quality to the VXIII line, look at the price difference.

Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40  - $469.95

Nikon Monarch 3-9x40  - $299.95

Pentax Lightseeker 3-9x43  -$438.95

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 - $249.95

Zeiss Conquest - 3-9x40 - $449.95

Burris Signatue Select  3-9x40  $376.95

Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10x40  $398.95

VXL Eclipse 3.5-10x50  $699.95   --Sorry, I'll save the weight and the money and stick to the Zeiss Conquest or the Kahels 3-9x42 which is a $100 cheaper.   

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2005 at 21:30

I really want to buy American and want to love Leupold...

Price ain't a main concern but build and glass is my first priority. Why can't they just copy a Zeiss or S&B and go buy, make, whatever the right glass and spend the energy in coatings?

SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2005 at 04:03
yo uhave to realize that some scopes, like S&B, are handmade. they literally are made by trained craftsmen and people spend years doing an apprenticeship learning how to do it. Leupold is more of an automated company, more concerned with quantity. leupold probably makes more scopes in am onth, than S&B makes in a year
voight24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voight24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2005 at 08:30

Sako I think are you trying to say leupold is low quality????

Now I own vari-x III's and I just purchased a Zeiss Conquest, the conquest is by far better glass. But when I go on my annual trip to Canada for whitetail hunting in remote ruggad terrain the Vari-x will be there, they are built like a tank, I hope the Conquest is the same but this is not been proven. I have dropped the vari x 24' from a tree and had no problem. One of my hunting partners had a gun come off his pull rope and had the scope(vari x III) land on a rock on the ocular end , pushed the scope through the rings. Remounted scope, scope zeroed he is still useing (has bent housing on Eyepiece)

They are high quality units just not the best glass for the price range.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2005 at 09:05
I certainly hope this is some kind of joke.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2005 at 11:07
There's nothing at all wrong with the VX III series, and I prefer them on lots of my rifles.  I just think this VX L thing won't be around long.  I wish they had spent that money in some other way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic