OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 42FL Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 42FL Binoculars
    Posted: May/27/2004 at 12:03

Has anyone tried or heard about these new Fluorite glass binoculars?  Fluorite glass can be expensive to use in binoculars, but it should reduce color fringing.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2004 at 10:32

I am not familiar with these particular binos.  But, binos equipped with this glass will typically outperform standard binos of equal quality in pretty much every category.  The only downside that I am aware of is that if everything else is equal, the glass adds a fair amount of weight compared to a standard set of binos.  Probably not enough that it will ever be an issue to the average person.  Incidentally, the best deal that I know of for such equipped binos are the relatively new offerings from Pentax (a lot of bang for the buck).

ranburr

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2004 at 15:41

It is the first and only binocular to ever use fluorite lenses as far as I know.  This technology has been used in spotting scopes for some time.  It will be a big benefit to bird watchers but not worth the money and weight for hunters (IMO).

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2004 at 17:53

Chris, maybe I am mistaken but isn't florite and ED glass the same thing?  If they are I know that Pentax and Minox both offer binos with ED glass.  Please educate me on this matter.  And where can I get a look at these Zeiss binos?  I did not see them on the Zeiss website.  Thanks.

ranburr 

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2004 at 12:03

Fluorite, ED, achromatic and apochromatic were all designed to correct a major defect in refractor telescopes: chromatic aberration*.  In early years making the telescope longer or increasing its focal length would help, but through the years technology got better and so did optics.  First was achromatic or Dollond doublet named after the inventor and the fact that it used two lenses sandwiched together, but it only fixed two parts of the color spectrum.  Apochromatic came next and by using three different densities of glass together in one element it could produce an image almost free of lateral color.  Early apochromatic units had light loss and internal reflection so magnesium fluoride coatings were developed and all but corrected the problems.  A major discovery was made while developing the magnesium fluoride coating.  A crystal named calcium fluoride was found to have unbelievable optical qualities and if lenses could be made from this crystal not only would they produce a better image but apochromatic systems could be made using less elements making them lighter, less complicated and a little less expensive to make.  Problem was getting pure fluorite crystals in sizes large enough to do anything with and for years only pieces large enough to make microscope objective were found.  It was not until the 1990’s that crystal large enough was discovered to make some astronomical telescopes.  ED glass or Extra Low Dispersion glass was developed during this same time period as an alternative to the hard to find fluoride crystal.  Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and Kowa all used to use ED glass in their super high end spotting scopes and have all since switched to fluoride in recent years as the crystal has become more readily available.  Fluoride lenses produce a much brighter and higher contrast image.

*chromatic aberration – caused by lens not focusing different wavelengths of light onto the exact same focal plane (the focal length for different wavelengths is different). The amount of chromatic aberration depends on the dispersion of the glass.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2004 at 20:09

Thanks for the info.  Is the true floride glass any heavier than ED glass?  Do you guys stock these binos? If so, how much?  Are there any specs and pictures posted on the net?  Thanks.

ranburr

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2004 at 14:58

Not sure on the actual weight difference of the glass alone.  The new Zeiss AOS glass is lighter because it does not use lead but not sure about this glass.  We will stock them when they are available later this year.  No prices are specs have been made available to us yet.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2004 at 23:24

These look like they just might put Zeiss back on top!

Zeiss Binoculars 10x42 T* FL

Binoculars - Specifications:

Field of View 330 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief -- mm
Close Focus 7 ft.
Weight 27 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 6.8 x -- in.
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Nitrogen Purged

Zeiss takes premium optics to the next level with the Zeiss Binoculars T*FL. With Zeiss proprietary T* multi-coatings, phase corrected Abbe-Koenig prisms, and special flouride element objective lenses, the Zeiss T*FL Binoculars offer extremely high edge sharpness and unsurpassed resolution, contrast and color. Flouride objective lenses also eliminate any color fringing from the Zeiss T*FL binoculars, even in low light conditions. The housing consists of magnesium reinforced by glass-fiber material, yielding a very durable and lightweight housing. The Zeiss Binoculars T*FL are waterproof and nitrogen-purged, and feature retractable eyecups for comfortable viewing and rubber armoring for a pleasant firm grip.

How Much and when will you have them?

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2004 at 22:42
Ranburr, I saw a short take in the in the July issue issue of Shooting Times where Zeiss stated that the FL series will be available in 7x42, 8x42 and 10x42. Retail prices slated to be $1449.99,1499.99 and 1549.99. Due to what Zeiss states as the use of a " thin lens objective design" they will weigh between 26.3-27.3 ounces! According to Zeiss, they will be available in June of this year. Just thought you would like to know. Take care Ranburr.
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2004 at 11:53
In some ways Zeiss is still on top for binoculars (I really like their scopes too).  The birders state that the Zeiss Victory II is the brightest binocular on the market now (betterview.com).  I have read statements that the Zeiss is brighter than the Swarovski EL, Leica Trinovid, and Nikon LX.  However the birders like the Nikon and Swarovski due to better color reproduction.  The Nikons really are just too heavy and not as "ergonomic" as the Swarovski.  Zeiss is also very popular for African hunters (binoculars and rifle scopes), or at least the ones I have talked to. 
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2004 at 16:34
I see more professional hunters and guides using 10x40 Classic Zeiss over any other brand or model.  That particular model has got to be the most widely used and revered binocular ever made.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2004 at 14:13
524520   7x42 FL T* 26.6 oz. $1349.00 
524521   8x42 FL T* 27.3 oz. $1399.00 
524522 10x42 FL T* 27.0 oz. $1449.00

Zeiss is shipping them this month in limited numbers and will have a steady supply by September.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2004 at 23:00

Thanks to Roy and Chris for the info.  I am really anxious to get a look at these things. 

ranburr

SAKO 75 SS View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO 75 SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2004 at 15:42
Has any one seen any info when Zeiss might be introducing a 56mm objective Victory FL? I own a pair of the Zeiss Victory 8X56 T* P* and I am pondering if the 56mm Victory FL's would serve me any better for hunting if Zeiss were to introduce them? I use these binoculars for hunting and they are pretty important to me because we have a strict managment program for 8 point bucks or better and 16 inch antler spread. The fine for a mistaken kill is $300 per buck. Thanks for the infor on the Zeiss Victorys and FL's!
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 16:33
No mention yet.  The normal M.O. is to launch new products in the most popular configuration....then if it is successful the line gets expanded.  So if we all buy at least four pair each then they should be announcing the 56's at S.H.O.T. next year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic