OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The "Counter Sniper" 10 by 40 by 56 with 35 mm tub
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The "Counter Sniper" 10 by 40 by 56 with 35 mm tub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawpaw1926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "Counter Sniper" 10 by 40 by 56 with 35 mm tub
    Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:04

I am new to the board and I am considering the above scope for my rock River .308.  I am considering the above scope for my new AR 10 by Rock River.  Does anyone on the board have experience with this scope in terms of quality, durability etc as I understand the U. S. military uses this equipment. Thx

JET
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:11
US Military does not use this scope.

It is a certified piece of crap.  The people behind this brand are con artists, plain and simple.

If you want to waste your money, there are far more enjoyable ways of doing it.

ILya
pawpaw1926 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawpaw1926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:14
That i why I am asking this board as I know nothing of this scope.  A friend of mine suggested it as it can be purchased for $519.95 new.  The website of the mfg retail this gun for $3995.00 sounded to goo to be true.
JET
pawpaw1926 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawpaw1926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:15
What glass would you recommend for the LAR .308 by Rock River?
JET
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

US Military does not use this scope.

It is a certified piece of crap.  The people behind this brand are con artists, plain and simple.

If you want to waste your money, there are far more enjoyable ways of doing it.

ILya

That is putting VERY mildly!!

What are you planning on doing with your 308 and ranges you intend to shoot at? It is hard to suggest a scope if one does not know what it's intended use is.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:34
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
This is the best choice in that price range.  Koshkin is absolutely correct avoid that scope like the plague.
I would mount with La Rue mount.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:40
I second the recommendation of the variable Super Sniper.  Kick-ass scope.

As far as the mounts go, there are a lot of nice ones out there.  Lately, I have been able to spend a fair amount of time with Aadland Mounts:

If you do not need the QD levers, these are the way to go.  I am beyond impressed.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:49

Aadland looks very solid.  I use La Rue more because I like where it places the scope in relation to the charging handle.  I have some Armalite ones and Badger Ordnance laying on the bench and while they are good mounts I dont like the position of the scope as well as the forward position, but Im using a collapsable stock so I can use it to adjust eye relief.  Still the Aadland looks very solid Im sure I would like it.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/30/2010 at 13:50

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:52
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Aadland looks very solid.  I use La Rue more because I like where it places the scope in relation to the charging handle.  I have some Armalite ones and Badger Ordnance laying on the bench and while they are good mounts I dont like the position of the scope as well as the forward position, but Im using a collapsable stock so I can use it to adjust eye relief.  Still the Aadland looks very solid Im sure I would like it.

I own one Aadmount and have played with seven additional ones (I am wrapping up with another big comparison).  I am sufficiently impressed to buy a couple of additional 30mm ones and one more 34mm to keep and use for future scope testing.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 16:53
CounterSniper is something of an industry joke, it is truly shameful that people pay $500+ thinking they are getting a $3000+ optic only to getting suitable for airsoft or a nerf gun.

The SS3-9 is a great scope, tehre are several other options as well.  What is your budget and intended target?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 17:04

Welcome  

If you do some looking at other forums you'll see that it's not just us that are down on Counter Sniper. I've gone as far as to email the Sportsman's guide and ask them to quit putting them in their catalogs. 

You can do A LOT better for less money. You can do TONS better for the same money.

What are you planning on doing with the Rock River .308?

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 18:00
If it seems to be to good to be true,99% of the time it is Whacko
Welcome to the OT!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 19:38
Go with a Super Sniper... At least you will be purchasing a brand that is used by the military.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 19:41
The "Counter" in the name should mean that it be smashed on the counter...with the manufacturer's fingers in between.
Reaction time is a factor...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 00:05
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

The "Counter" in the name should mean that it be smashed on the counter...with the manufacturer's fingers in between.

Laugh
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 11:27
This brand reminds me of those guys who try to sell you sound systems out of the back of their vans in parking lots.  They put a MSRP sticker on it of $3000 knowing full well they will take as low as anything you offer, probably even $100.  But they fool people into making their offer first, as most people assume anything around $500 some even $1000 that is is still a "GREAT DEALLLL"!!1
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 12:39
These do quite well at gun shows, I bet; less informed folk think it is a great deal on a military issued scope.

It is pure crap.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 13:11
I actually read their site for a few seconds yesterday to get a good laugh. Worked quite well.

Edited by Chris Farris II - January/13/2011 at 13:17
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 13:58
They claim that their scopes are "Bertrillium-Zantitium™ multicoated".

Fine!

Just WHERE are those elements in the periodic table? Loco

Must be some kind of "Super-Unobtainium"! Whacko
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic