OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HELP NEEDED FOR AIRGUN SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higicir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP NEEDED FOR AIRGUN SCOPE
    Posted: December/07/2005 at 06:01

Hi Guys,

I have a 0,177 caliber gamo hunter 440. I am trying to get a decent scope for it. Since I am living outside USA my options are limited. Most of the sellers do not ship airgun scopes outside USA.

I will shoot at ranges maximum 100 yards so I dont need a powerfull scope.

I have two questions.

1- Among my options, I liked Bushnell Sportsman series scopes. 3-9X40 and 4X32 are enough for power. Can I trust these scopes in terms of precision and consistency for warmint hunting and casual plinking. Are they really shockproof considering the recoil of hunter 440 (muzzle velocity of 1000 fps)

2- What other scopes should I consider. My priority is consistency. Power of the scope is irrelevant to me. Until now I spend more than 250 USD for junk. I wish getting the right scope this time.

Thanks for your help

Edited by higicir
esldude View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 14:09

In the past Bushnell only rated those scopes for medium power airguns.  Now they show them for high velocity break barrel airguns.  Not sure if they improved them or what.

I have shot the Gamo, and two people I know with them used the Simmon's Aetec without problems. They used the 3.8-12x which had an AO down to ten yards.  Simmons is coming out with their Master series.  So you might have to look

around for someone that still has the old version of the Aetec.  It is a far better scope optically than the one you asked about as well.

One of those friends with the Gamo had a Bushnell Trophy (6-18x I think) which was broken once.  Bushnell

repaired it.  But it kept slinging grease inside onto the objective lens.  Once he got the Aetec, he had no

problems. 

Edited by esldude
higicir View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higicir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2005 at 07:20
Thanks for the input.
hfxrzw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hfxrzw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2005 at 12:37

Regretfully you didn't mention where you're at.

I've used a Hawke Airmax 4-12X44AO now for about 2.5 years on my Weirauch HW 90, one of the most difficult air rifles to scope (Theoben piston) but no problems sofar. Good product for a great price as far as I'm concerned. Cheers, Rene.

higicir View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higicir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 15:41

Thanks for the input

I live in Turkiye.

I am going to buy RWS one piece scope mount next. If the bushnell scope gets busted I may get a stronger scope. But I do not think gamo 440 will abuse the scope that much. My new gun sure will do that! Diana (RWS) 350 magnum. For the moment I am thniking of using it with open sights. I will resort to your advice if I decide to mount a scope on it.

Thank you all.

Motsky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2006 at 15:54
have you tried e-bay for scopes like swift or  agreat airgun scope that is inexpensive is the simmons 44mag and you can get them under a hundred bucks . i have one on my beeman r-9 tk

Edited by Motsky
higicir View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higicir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2006 at 15:17

I thought about it. but problems at customs may occur. so I quit the idea.

I bought a Bushnell 4X32 for gamo hunter 440. Until now it works fine. I will not scope my RWS 350 for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic