OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

looking for good folding knife under $100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for good folding knife under $100
    Posted: December/29/2010 at 13:57
Hey gues i am in the market for a new pocket knife. I want something with quality steel. something i can get very sharp. I carry a multitool that I use as a primary blade. So I want  a good sharp pocket knife for more precision. Cutting delicate stuff or skinning squirrels etcs.   I have big hands like a big thick handle.
requirements:
good steel: (something like s30v)
prefer  thick heavy duty blades.
3-4" blade. (4" state law max for carry)
pocket clip
drop point style( no tanto)
non serrated

I was looking at something like the Buck CSAR-T (looks good dont know about the quality)

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 21:03
You can find these for close to a C note. http://sogknives.com/store/VL-02.html
They have a drop point and excellent VG-10 steel. I have many SOG knives including an old Field Knife with this steel and it is outstanding.
I bought a friend an X-Ray Vision, similar to mine, as a retirement gift. He lost it and replaced it with this model. It is outstanding as many of the SOG folders and fixed knives I have.
Their customer support is outstanding also. I lost a screw on one of my knives with a pocket clip and called them. They sent me another clip and three screws. Previous to that I called them about the Blackie Collin's hard side scabbard that came with my twenty year old Para-Tool. I was not happy with the too aggressive retention. They sent me a nylon one, gratis. I am a SOG fan for sure, though I own many other brands.

Doug
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 22:05

Might throw this one in the mix. It fits the bill for what you are looking for. 

http://www.agrussell.com/kershaw-junkyard-dog-with-composite-blade/p/KEhhh1725CB/

This one is also a lot of knife but a smidge over your target. It's a very good knife.

http://www.coldsteel.com/americanlawman.html

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 23:50
SOG and Cold Steel both make excellent knives.  I own both, and have never had a reason to complain.

If you want S30V steel, do a Google search of "S30V" which will help you find a website which has a particularly large selection.  Since SWFA does carry a few knives, I'll stick to the rules and not name a competitor.

Edited by Longhunter - December/30/2010 at 00:05
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 08:45
http://www.coyotegods.com/knives.shtml   this is one of the best read's on knives I have found.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/    D2 tool steel knives

Moore Maker, in Matador, TX.
Teepee Flat Road
P.O. Box 665
Matador, TX 79244
(806) 347-2848

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 10:52
Kershaw, blackout is a good knife.  They have a bunch of decent knives for under $100

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 17:10

Didn't realize SWFA sold knives too. Hiding  Sorry.

Urimaginaryfrnd  properly treated D2 tool steel is my blade steel of choice. I've got several fixed blade knives made from it, but as of yet, no folders. I'll look up the maker you suggested. 

That Cold Steel knife is on my short list of must haves. It's a tank of a knife. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 18:00
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://www.coyotegods.com/knives.shtml   this is one of the best read's on knives I have found.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/    D2 tool steel knives

Moore Maker, in Matador, TX.
Teepee Flat Road
P.O. Box 665
Matador, TX 79244
(806) 347-2848

In the field I carry an old lightweight folding "buck knife" with orange handle that I can see if I misplace it in the tall grass. It's decent and has served it's purpose for many years but I wouldn't mind upgrading it someday. Hmmm... maybe the "featherlight hunter" by "Knives of Alaska" (with orange handle).  Bandito

I do have the  "Knives of Alaska" "bush camp combo" (bush and cub bear knives) that we use at the skinning tree, the D2 steel's good stuff.

My grandfather used to carry a small pocket knife while hunting in the field much like the "trapper" in the Moore Maker link.

Edited by mike650 - December/31/2010 at 07:39
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic