OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What animal is this???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What animal is this???
    Posted: December/29/2010 at 06:57
I took these pictures on a game farm in South Africa. They are definately not indigenous to Africa. Judging from the colour of the piglets they are of wild origin. We have domestic pigs kept by the locals that look similiar, but their offspring are also black and not striped like these piglets. (the pig's offspring I am talking about).

My guess is that it is the Russian boar ????

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 08:04
looks like a kind of Javalina there al over the south west
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 08:51
Those are just garden variety wild pigs, probably of European origin.  They look exactly like the feral pigs I have by the hundreds on my hunting lease and that are found throughout the southern US.  Piglets typically have stripes like in the pics.  I will upload some pics of the same critter when I get home from work this afternoon.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 08:54
Is that Ed behind those trees?
Doug
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 14:41
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Those are just garden variety wild pigs, probably of European origin.  They look exactly like the feral pigs I have by the hundreds on my hunting lease and that are found throughout the southern US.  Piglets typically have stripes like in the pics.  I will upload some pics of the same critter when I get home from work this afternoon.

My first thought was the same, but the striped piglets are confusing me. We have bushpigs that have striped piglets, but the adult look very different. I also find it strange that the game farmer would keep feral pigs. So my thoughts turned to the Russian boar. On Google pics the Russian boar match.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 14:58

+1. same ones I have by the hundreds on my lease as well.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 15:38
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

My first thought was the same, but the striped piglets are confusing me. We have bushpigs that have striped piglets, but the adult look very different. I also find it strange that the game farmer would keep feral pigs. So my thoughts turned to the Russian boar. On Google pics the Russian boar match.

The feral pigs we have roaming our woods vary between various domestic pigs that escaped farms years ago and became wild, those of the Russian variety, and cross-breeds of same.  All of the piglets I've seen from the solid black, typically "Russian" looking pigs have been light brown with horizontal stripes just like the ones in your pics.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 19:32
Notice the horizontal stripes on some of the piglets.  A purebred European/ Russian wild hog has the striped piglets.  The "domesticated pigs gone wild" are likely to have piglets of multiple color combinations.

These are just a few of the literally hundreds of feral hog pics my trail cams have taken, most of which I've deleted because my place is so infested with them that I see them nearly every time I go hunting.

Edited by RifleDude - December/29/2010 at 19:34
Ted

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 19:42
I've always wanted to do some hog hunting, how much do you charge Ted? Wink
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 20:02
A fifth of fine single malt scotch will do just fine as payment. 

Here's a closeup of a piglet showing the stripes.  I don't discriminate based on size or age; I kill every one of 'em that give me a shot opportunity due to the level of infestation we have... and 'cuz I'm a mean, heartless s.o.b.  I tend to shoot them in the head whenever that shot presents itself to me, hence the shot placement here.  Obviously, a head shot isn't required to quickly dispatch one this tiny, but I was using live targets to test my offhand accuracy that day and this little guy happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Plus, this gives me an opportunity to plug the fine SS 3-9X42.  This one happens to be Mark's scope; I've been borrowing it for awhile. 

Edited by RifleDude - December/29/2010 at 20:04
Ted

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 23:48
Great pics Ted! ... sounds like you have the same situation I do... nearly get ran over by hogs walking to my stand sometimes! Here is a pic of one of ours..
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 00:21
That's a nice sized one, T!  What'd he weigh?

My largest so far was about 380 #, but a buddy of mine killed one a couple years ago that went over 400.
Ted

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 05:32
Thanks for all the responses.

I can only guess that this guy is breeding these pigs for the mostly German and Spanish hunters. They are crazy about shooting pigs and they have all but decimated our warthog population in some areas.

Maybe you can start a German and Spanish hunting concession and make a few $$$ out of shooting this vermin???

Hopefully these pigs do not stay on his farm so that soon we will have some vermin to take care of!!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 07:23
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.

I can only guess that this guy is breeding these pigs for the mostly German and Spanish hunters. They are crazy about shooting pigs and they have all but decimated our warthog population in some areas.

Maybe you can start a German and Spanish hunting concession and make a few $$$ out of shooting this vermin???

Hopefully these pigs do not stay on his farm so that soon we will have some vermin to take care of!!

Yeah, no joke.  I hope this guy realizes what a prolific breeding machine he has on his hands and how destructive they are to property!  If they get outside his game ranch, there's a big problem!

I'm sure the reason he has them is because they are rare and exotic to you guys just as kudu would be here.  If I coulda let others shoot all the hogs I've killed and been paid for it, I could retire today in luxury!!!
Ted

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 10:49
I know a place I'd like to turn some loose. Devil

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 10:54

I hope this guy realizes what a prolific breeding machine he has on his hands and how destructive they are to property! 

Gestation is 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days.  Roughly 114 day.  Average litter size is about 8 piglets, sometimes more, sometimes less.  Once piglets are weaned, a sow will come into heat on average 5 days.  Some cycle quicker, some take a few more days.  With a realatively short gestation period, high litter numbers and ability to quickly breed back, swine are very prolific breeders.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 11:40
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

I hope this guy realizes what a prolific breeding machine he has on his hands and how destructive they are to property! 

Gestation is 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days.  Roughly 114 day.  Average litter size is about 8 piglets, sometimes more, sometimes less.  Once piglets are weaned, a sow will come into heat on average 5 days.  Some cycle quicker, some take a few more days.  With a realatively short gestation period, high litter numbers and ability to quickly breed back, swine are very prolific breeders.

Not to mention the fact they have no predators to control their population except humans.  Nothing else in the woods will throw down with them (except for piglets separated from momma); they are too tough and vicious.  At least, not here; in Africa, they've got some formidable toothy predators that will look at hogs as mere appetizers before the main course.
Ted

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 12:11
Sound like you have a job to do.  What you won't do for mankind.  Epic really.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:07
Looks like a European wild boar especially when you look at the piglets.

Regards Chris
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2010 at 13:18

That's a nice sized one, T!  What'd he weigh?

My largest so far was about 380 #, but a buddy of mine killed one a couple years ago that went over 400.
  Ted, we dont know his exact weight, the only scale we had at the moment was 400# and he bottomed it out! my sons are claiming he was over 500#, but if I had to make an honest guess I'd say he was 450ish. here lately we have been seeing tracks that are honestly twice the size of the ones this one was leaving! I'm hoping I might come across him this weekend
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic