OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope around $150 for .25-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope around $150 for .25-06
    Posted: December/28/2010 at 10:26
I know this has probably been done to death but I need a few recommendations on a what a good scope in the $150 price range would be for a 24" barreled .25-06.

The rifle will be used mostly for whitetails in hay fields but will see secondary duty as a mulie/pronghorn rig. It will also be used sparingly as a coyote control rifle (only about 2-3 times a year) and may get taken on a cow elk meat hunt (in open country) every once in a great while.

I know it would be better to spend more money, but that budget is pretty strict as I recently found out my youngest daughter has an extremely rare and incurable disease that will have my family paying large medical bills for her care. Part of what she needs, though, is good, lean protein and that's why I'm putting this rig together.

I'd like recommendations on both configuration and make/model.

I like the looks of the Nikon ProStaff, Vortex Crossfire, Pentax Pioneer, Bushnell Trophy and Banner, Burris Timberland, Sightron S1 and Mueller APV scopes. Any thoughts on these or others would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by seattlesetters - December/28/2010 at 10:27
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 10:51
You are in luck as currently there are some very nice deals on the Burris line of scopes . I would think the 3-9x40 fullfield II which is avaliable in the traditional gloss finish for $119 would be a very nice scope for your rifle, and should make life hard for those deer and pronghorn.Just go to the burris page on thSWFA and it should show there. I have one of the orignal Pentax pioneers ( Not pioneer II) that I like very well and it is very similar to the Burris. Ok I understand they are the same scope. I don't believe the pioneer II currently avaliable is quite the same. Either way I would choose the Burris over either if for no other reason than the CS avaliable.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 11:01
  First off,I'm really sorry to hear of your daughter's dilemma. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. 

If you can do with a scope in the 2x to 7x range,which I believe you can,take a look at this one. These were at one time close to $300. I've got 2 myself.  BUT hurry as SWFA didn't have many(if any)left. 

Vortex Viper Rifle Scopes

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02BDC
  • Close-Out Special, 50% OFF
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
  • 100 to 400 yards Bullet drop precisely calculated to compensate for the elliptic drop of a 50, 55 & 62 grain .223 bullet
Specifications
Weight (oz): 13

Dead-Hold BDC

Length (in): 11.3
Eye Relief (in): 4 - 3.7
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 46.7 - 13.4
Exit Pupil (mm): --
MOA: 1/4
Lens Coating: XR Coating
Warranty: Unlimited Transferable Warranty
< ="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1">

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope

$169.95 

Related Products

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 11:02
Sorry to hear about your daughter.  Hope the best for her.  The discounted Burris FFII 3-9 would be a good deal.  Buddy has one and has worked very well for deer hunting.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 11:12
  The Burris that's being recommended is another GOOD choice.  They've been around along time and have a good rep.

By the way,I DEFINITELY like your choice of cartridge!  Excellent

Edited by 300S&W - December/28/2010 at 11:16
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 11:29
Thanks for the replies so far, and the thoughts for my daughter.

I'm looking at 3-9x as a minimum and wouldn't mind going to 12x on the higher end for the coyotes and speed goats.

does anyone have anything to say about the lower-priced scopes mentioned above? I may not act right away so grabbing a sale item may not be possible. Thanks!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 12:02
I have a crossfire 6-24.  Have it on a .22-250 for p-dogs.  It is fine for that application.  I would not/do not want it on a deer/muley rifle.  The lower priced scopes have lots of magnification but they don't have better glass.  Field of view narrows with more magnification as well.  I have taken deer over 300yds and when checking to see where my scope magnification was set, I realized it was on 6x.  I shoot a .270 so ballistically, not much different than your .25-06.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 12:33
  As SD Dog points out your better off going with a lower magnification scope of a higher quality.  One thing I've found out is that when not having much to spend on a scope it's best to stay with the basics and not go too high in magnification.
  As far as not getting one right away. No problem. Just let us know when your ready. There are always deals out there offering a higher quality scope for the same money you'd pay for an entry level one. 
  Almost forgot.  Until your ready,save up as much money as is possible.  A few extra dollars can make a big difference.

Edited by 300S&W - December/28/2010 at 12:36
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

As SD Dog points out your better off going with a lower magnification scope of a higher quality.  One thing I've found out is that when not having much to spend on a scope it's best to stay with the basics and not go too high in magnification.
  As far as not getting one right away. No problem. Just let us know when your ready. There are always deals out there offering a higher quality scope for the same money you'd pay for an entry level one. 
  Almost forgot.  Until your ready,save up as much money as is possible.  A few extra dollars can make a big difference.

Agree.  Buy once and be happy, even if it means waiting.  Nothing worse than a bad fitting compromise.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 13:05
ive got a vortex viper 2x7 on my .375H&H and i love it.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 14:45
 The Burris fullfield 3X9 @$119 is your best choice IMHO!! I have several and they would work well. If you ever hunt on horse back it will fit the scabbard very well. I'm not into large scopes, higher powered scopes for big game. Maybe a 3X10 at most. More gadgets create more chances to be in the wrong mode at the wrong time. Animals  appear where they want to, not always where you expect them too.
Black Bear Road
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 16:57

sorry to hear about your daughter. my prayers are with your family, and I hope all turns out well. since you are pretty sure you want at least 3-9, I would go with the burris ff2.  I have several of them and never had a minutes trouble with any of them. the burris timberline is also a good choice. as for the other scopes on your list the bushnell trophy and the nikon prostaff are decent scopes, and I have a mueller sport dot that I like very much. the rest of them I cant speak for, but have heard good things about the pioneer and the S1.  If you think you would be ok with a 2-7 I would go with the vortex viper in a heart beat. that is an awesome piece of glass for the money!

rsbible View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsbible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 20:51
I'd consider the Redfield 3-9X40.  It has very good glass and is backed by Leupold.  In my opinion that's tough to beat for $150.  Besides...I have one on a .270 and think its a great value.  Optical quality is as good as the Sightron, Leopold, or Burris scopes I already own.  The only complaint I have is that the adjustment knob is a bit mushy but nothing I can't live with.  Good luck!
Mannheim Bob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 17:10
 I would vote for one of the Redfields.  I have a 2-7x36 that I had on my Marlin 308MX, and I have a 4-12 on my Savage Edge .223.  Both are great, American-made scopes for the $.

The Burris Fullfield II is a good scope too, for that price.  Made by US tooling in the Philipines, my dad has a 3-9 on his .243 Model 70.

I think either would satisfy.  My money stays in US products, when it can.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 17:29
Redfield ... good choice,

Burris ... good choice,

Vortex Viper ... best choice here.
-Matt
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 18:25

If 3-9 is your preference, I think you'll have a hard time besting the FFII at $120.00.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 21:26
+1 Vortex
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 09:14
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Redfield ... good choice,

Burris ... good choice,

Vortex Viper ... best choice here.
Fully Agree
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic