OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

holster?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: holster?
    Posted: December/27/2010 at 12:26
what kind of holster do you guys recommend for a springfield xd?? i was thinking of getting a blackhawk serpa. let me know
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 12:47
What type of carry?
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 12:58
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:12
Originally posted by LRSMike LRSMike wrote:

What type of carry?

outside wasteband or something like that, im on the fluffy side.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:16
I carry my Glock everyday, concealed, in a plain jane Comp-Tac paddle holster.
I love 'em!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:22
what keeps the pistol locked in??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:26
How much are you looking to spend? I have several Alessi CQC-S models and they are excellent and expensive.
They hold the gun close to the body and the fit does not require active retention.
Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:27
i dont really want to spend a ton, less than $100 preferred, and $50 would be great if at all possible.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:37
A friend has been carrying his SIG 226 in a Sherpa for several months now and likes it a lot. It was under $70.
I think it will be a bit bulky under light clothing come summer, though.
Doug
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:40
I like the blackhawk serpa....that sucker won't come out unless you want it to, and is still very easy to release and get used to, almost natural, not the best concealed carry holster though, kinda bulky.
Just bought this for my service XD
http://www.afmo.com/BlackHawk_3_Slot_Leather_Pancake_Holster_p/bpg_4200pancakeholster.htm
It's ok, bought it because my friend had the galco and sent it back saying it didn't fit worth a hoot and wound up with this one, which he loves.  Cozy and broke in fast, only been packing it for about a month...the one drawback would be the slide hangs out of the bottom about 1/4", but is not a big deal to me at this point.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:40
i dont know how much i would carry it at work, if at all. some of the businesses we frequent for dirt and rock dont allow guns. mostly just for traveling or evening trips to town for groceries etc. would get worn a lot in the fall and winter.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:49
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

what keeps the pistol locked in??

Theres two "set screws" to tighten or loosen tension to your liking.
I've wore mine around job sites, climbing in and out of equipment, working, running, jumping, and have NEVER, EVER had my firearm come close to falling out, BUT....I can draw my sidearm VERY easily, if and when I need to.
Comp-Tac is a workin' man's holster. Wink

I'm 100% sold on Comp-Tac, but I'm sure there are others that would suit you.      
I've owned several types and makes. Safariland makes nice gear. I used one when I carried 1911's, because they were lined.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:54
thanks for the info mark, as you know we work around similar situations. thats good to know that you feel confident with it in all aspects.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 14:08
I too love Comp-Tac!!  Bandito
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 15:43
The Serpa is a good holster.  Or just the regular blackhawk CQC if you don't want active retention. 

I have both Serpas and CQCs for my XDs and 1911.  They come with the paddle or belt attachment, they don't stretch like leather.  Weather or water don't affect them, they are molded to the gun well. 

I have tried Wilson Combat, Galco, Bianchi, Blade Tech, Comp tac, Fobus, and sevearl others and like the Serpa's and CQCs the best. 

The price for them is great as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 15:46
That Blackhawk Serpa is proven. I used it to carry in Iraq, but not concealed. If you generally wear loose clothing it shouldn't have a problem, and mine has never come out unless I wanted it. I also had the plate for carry upon my gear, so movement from hip to chest was very quick. I have the DeSantis Pro Stealth, IWB, and I love it with my XDm 3.8. I wear t shirts with it and its still concealed without a problem. Since I'm a slightly smaller guy 5'9" 170, I wear mine lower back, but I can see it being used on a hip, depending how tight pants are. That is my one and a half cents.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 15:52
Originally posted by Voodoo6 Voodoo6 wrote:

I too love Comp-Tac!!  Bandito

Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 16:03
Just don't plan on using the one that comes with the XD.  They really suck.  Bucky
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 16:03
Serpa is tough to conceal, especially for you big guys.

My advice in holsters is always the same: unless you want everyone to know what you are carrying and where, spend the money to get something that fits you and the gun. 
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 16:24
I have a Simply Rugged for my 1911...and like it mucho goodo. It wasn't overly expensive either. Give Rob Leahy a call. Nice guy.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/

Edited by bugsNbows - December/27/2010 at 16:26
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic