OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ballistic Reticles vs Hunting Turrets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcostabile20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ballistic Reticles vs Hunting Turrets
    Posted: December/27/2010 at 11:23
I am in the market for a new scope (currently own Meopta Meostar 3-10x50) and need some help in choosing between a ballistic reticle or adjustable turrets.  I have always owned a scope that has the caps that have to be screwed off to adjust for elevation and windage.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Kickboxer - December/27/2010 at 20:37
workingmanGary View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workingmanGary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 16:51
Personally I think all these ballistic reticles are a bit of a fad. How many shots do you take over 200 yards. If lts alot maybe you should just walk up closer. Dont worry you are far enough away that they wont spook.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 16:59
Depending on where you live, you may take a lot of shots over 200 yards. Out on the plains there are places where the deer will stand in the wide open, because there are no trees for miles. It's not always so easy to just walk closer. I use a ballistic reticle on one rifle, and dial shots in on another. Which one you use is not as important as knowing the system inside and out. Put your time in shooting at any ranges you would shoot at game at. Don't just punch numbers into a ballistic calculator, and assume that's where a bullet will go. You need to find your limit where you have a high probability of making a clean shot on game. I limit myself to 500 yards, but practice pretty regularly past 700.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 17:42
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Depending on where you live, you may take a lot of shots over 200 yards. Out on the plains there are places where the deer will stand in the wide open, because there are no trees for miles. It's not always so easy to just walk closer. I use a ballistic reticle on one rifle, and dial shots in on another. Which one you use is not as important as knowing the system inside and out. Put your time in shooting at any ranges you would shoot at game at. Don't just punch numbers into a ballistic calculator, and assume that's where a bullet will go. You need to find your limit where you have a high probability of making a clean shot on game. I limit myself to 500 yards, but practice pretty regularly past 700.
Agreed, except for ground squirrels, for those I shoot out to the limits of my main caliber (a 204 Ruger).
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 20:21
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I agree with trigger.  I use both on multiple rifles.  Use depends on the situation, but nothing beats knowing your gun and where it shoots.  I too practice regularly out well past 700 yards in different conditions.  The practice will pay off more than just buying either a BDC or Turrets and hoping they are right on.  Practice, Practice, Practice!!!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 20:36
For most calibers, a max. point blank range zero would handle your shooting needs out to 300 yards except for angled shots over 30 degrees. A ballistic reticle will work well for a particular load shot in a narrow range of atmospheric conditions and at angles less than 30 degrees. Otherwise, if you really want to shoot out to long distances you need to know muzzle velocity, temperature, barometric pressure, accurate distance to the target and slope angle. In other words, you'll need target turrets and the ability (gear) to measure those variables and a ballistics calculator.
Reaction time is a factor...
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 13:46
I have Nikon's BDC reticle on a couple of my Monarch's.  They serve as valuable reference points for me after understanding how they apply to my load at the range, but I've only had the need to use that information once on a real hunt. 

Vast majority of my shots are within the MPBR of my load.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 16:38
Why not get both? For reasonable ranges and fast shots you can use the bdc aiming points, for those long distance hard shots, you could dial it in. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic