OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Model 70 Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 70 Trigger
    Posted: December/26/2010 at 21:56
So I am wanting to replace the factory trigger in the Winchester.  Wanted to check with you guys and see what has worked/not worked for you guys.  I was thinking about the Timney, but some of the reviews have me hesitant to order it up.  Any thought's would be helpful and much appreciated at this point..

Oh ya, it's a late 70's model 70 XTR.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 06:16
  I've got both a M70 XTR of that era and a Timney trigger on a S&W (Howa).  That M70 trigger is one of the best factory triggers going.  My suggestion would be for you to first take your rifle to someone who knows them WELL and let them tune it for you. If it doesn't suit you then go with an aftermarket trigger.  Timneys are FINE but there are other options to.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 08:17
I've put Timney's in all my M70's.  My longest time gunsmith, who has now passed away, was a former Marine sniper and his company armorer worked with him... they maintained the Anniston Arsenal for a number of years.  He would only use Timney as a replacement for the M70.  The Winchester Model 70 has a fine trigger, but does not lend itself to "user adjustment".  The problem I've found is that some who claim knowledge of the M70 triggers, really don't.  Then I've wasted time and money.  Slight screw ups can cause major malfunctions.  Adjusted properly, they are just about as good as anything out there.  If you intend to explore trigger weight adjustment, don't want to take it to a gunsmith every time you adjust it, then Timney is a good choice.  There are others.  Rifle Basix has a good rep, lots of people like them.  I've been very pleased with the Timney brand.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 10:30
+1 on Timney Triggers...i've got one on my Ruger Hawkeye and one on my CZ 452 Lux...
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 10:50
Jewell makes an exceptional trigger for M70 as well.  I had one, and it is exactly what you'd expect of Jewell.  Of course, this applies only to the "pre-FN, S.C." M70's currently being made, which have an entirely different trigger than the legacy M70 design.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 12:14
I never had a problem with the factory trigger until I had the rifle cerakoted.....there was a lil mix up, long story short everything got cerakoted not just the cosmetic part of the trigger.  This stuff is tuff as hell, and I'm worried that I might make the gun unsafe just by removing the product from the engagement areas....funny thing is the trigger still is not horrible just a little heavy, and with cerakote on the adjustment rod and nuts, I'm sure I would trash those trying to adjust after polishing.  I might try to make it work and do some work myself,  but there is good chance I will render the trigger unsafe and will have to replace it, just wanted to know my options.....I'll see if I can scrape up enough for the jewell at more than double the price of the timney....still 230 bucks for a good trigger doesn't sound that bad, especially if install is simple with just minor fitting.
Thanks gentlemen.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 12:27
My new custom .338 Lapua Magnum has a Jewell trigger.  Set at 1.0lb it breaks like glass, clean, crisp, as fine a trigger as I've ever been privileged to use.  Certainly not a bad choice.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic