OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2 Questions. Short ER scopes + ring mounting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Questions. Short ER scopes + ring mounting
    Posted: December/25/2010 at 23:25
   Hello guys.  I will say I've been a long, long time lurker and always enjoyed the forum.  Never joined because I really couldn't offer anything!   

First I'll explain my situation, then I have two questions.

I've got a Wasr 10/63, runs good, and I got lucky in the accuracy department ;) Iron sights and a good scope, it'll do 3" or a bit better at a hundred yards, so in my opinion, it's worth scoping ;)

I got a Weaver 1-3X scope and installed it awhile ago.  Well two months and 600 rounds later, the scope is kaploof.    With the Weaver it groups roughly 4  inches at 50 yards or 8 inches at 100 yards, with iron sights, or an ancient B&L 2.5-8, it will go into 1.5" groups and 3" group.  So I KNOW it's the scope. 

First question:   What are some short eye-relief scopes?    I've been looking at the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4, Nikon Monarch African 1-4X and Leupold 1.5-5X's.      The Leupolds seem too long of an eye relief, while the Bushnell would be "okay". Maybe?   Has anyone mounted these on an AK before?

Second question:    I don't know, as I've never seen it done (So therefore, there must be a reason).  

Can a scope be mounted with the rings ONLY behind the adjustment turrets?   Especially if it's a one-piece tube, short (9.5" or shorter), and (if there's room) three rings between the rear bell and the turrets.       An AK doesn't kick hardly at all, however I don't know if the turrets would still have to be supported front & back.

I would appreciate the knowladge, as I am truly stuck (on both of these questions!) and don't want to drop $300-$400 on a scope, only to have it not fit.  

Thank you!

Grant.
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 21:16
    Any ideas on the rings?    I can't find a thing anywhere on them.  If I could double-ring, Eye relief wouldn't be a big deal.

I did get one response comparing the recoil of a double-ringed (behind the turret) scope, to bouncing a ruler off a table, which I am inclined to agree with...

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 21:33
What about putting a compact ACOG like a TA442 in La Rue RCO mount onto your rail.  Im figuring your base ataches to the reciever on the left side and gives you a rail on top. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 19:26
I do not quite understand why you are looking for a scope with short eyerelief.  With the side-to-weaver mount you should have enough mounting flexibility.  If not, you do not necessarily need short eyerelief.  YOU need a short combination of eyerelief, eyepiece size and turret position.

Aside from getting another V3 (which is generally a pretty durable little scope),  try:

Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32
Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 or FFII Tac30 1-4x24
Swift Premier 1.5-4.5x32

If you want to spend a bit more money Meopta 1-4x22 might fit the bill.

ILya
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 14:45
  Thanks for the responses.   After the New Year, I'll be contacting Weaver warrenty for a RMA number and see what they do.     I'm willing to give the Weaver a 2nd chance.  Most reviews are good, so I am hoping I got a lemon.

Quote  With the side-to-weaver mount you should have enough mounting flexibility.  If not, you do not necessarily need short eyerelief.  YOU need a short combination of eyerelief, eyepiece size and turret position.
  I agree, that's the problem.

Most scopes I've seen (Nikon, Bushnell and Trijicon Accupoint) the front and rear mount sections are 2", the same as the Weaver, however the scopes are about 1" longer and have an extra .5" to .75" more eye relief, which I figured would push the scope back too far.

It's times like this I wish our local stores carried something other than  3-9X and 4-16X scopes Whacko  It'd be nice to look at the scopes in-person before smacking down $200 up to $450-$500+ dollars.  If you don't like it, you always take a loss, through restocking fees or personal sales.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic