OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bijou Creek Custom 338 Lapua

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bijou Creek Custom 338 Lapua
    Posted: December/24/2010 at 14:19
I mounted the Ellis Optics 4-16x50 scope and boresighted last night.  The target below does not show the first round... "why?" you might ask.  Because the first round didn't hit anything until it hit the hill backstop.  I did some "cipherin'" and figured where I MIGHT have to shoot to get on target... lucky guess.  From there, I zeroed in the order shown on the target.  100 yard zero, but I don't like it.  I'll probably go to a 300 yard zero once I get to the 500 yard range.  Ammo is some "special" stuff I came across.  CNC turned solid brass with BC of almost 1, 230grain, loaded to 3040fps.  I can hardly wait to try some of the 300 grain stuff.

This rifle is a dream shooter...  action is slick as greased silicon, everything about it FEELS good, balance is amazing.  

For those who have not met Kassandra:

McMillan A5 stock, Stiller TAC338 action, Rock Creek 30 inch barrel with custom Bijou Creek muzzle brake.  Built by Mike Cuypers of Bijou Creek.  He makes some AWESOME dangerous game rifles.

I forgot to state that all shots were taken using Caldwell Dual Lead Sled.  

Edited by Kickboxer - December/24/2010 at 14:33
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 14:51
If they are the Bullets I think they can be pushed to 3300 easy...

I have shot the 165's to 3800...

DO they come in black Boxes???  (vs. WHITE boxes)
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2010 at 09:48
I answered this Christmas Eve, but had a power failure just as I pushed "send".  We have quite a few power failures up here.  We're at nearly '60's level power technology, now.

I was handed 38 loose rounds in a WalMart sack.  No box... just said "have fun with these, Merry Christmas".  I never ask questions on those...

I still have 20 rounds left.  

If you have any suggestions on good hunting rounds, I would appreciate it.  I don't have anything suitable for hunting with this rifle.  From my experience so far, these would pass through a deer like a hot knife throgh butter, not much "impact" or KD-factor.  Head shots would work, I guess... not my style for deer hunting, though.  

Since this is a "tight bore" .338, I need bullets that are right at .001 under.

Any suggestions you have, I request and welcome.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 21:11
I suspect you have Lost River Ballistics bullet there.

I have a box of them, but I will probably keep them and never load them.  They just look cool and the company is long out of business.

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 21:48
If your girls ever get to meet I am there...

If humanly possible...

ILya NICE and I Mean NICE OPTICS (not limited to glass) good mechanics and all...

Dan-

So any chance you have taken her out for another venture. 

I have to think of some names now...
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 14:53
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

If humanly possible...

ILya NICE and I Mean NICE OPTICS (not limited to glass) good mechanics and all...

Dan-

That would be an honor to be able to meet you, shake your hand, talk face to face.  I really hope we can all get together.  I'm working long term schedules this week.  Will send you and ILya some times when I get it finalized. 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 15:37
I do not have a proper named picked out yet I need help.

Yours seems to be very fitting...

If I kept up with the "K" I would need help.

I came across the concept and the word KOAN that does have a special meaning to me.

so maybe Koana???

"Koan(a)" or "kung-fu an-tu" is a principle (although Budhist and I am the furthest from) to which I believe that would be fitting of a rifle that is used in war that could tell many open ended stories to which we do not know the answer to.

"The purpose of kōans for a Zen practitioner is to become aware of the difference between himself, his mind, and his beliefs, which influence how he sees the world; and, ultimately, to help him realize his true nature. Once a Zen practitioner becomes aware of his mind as an independent form, the kōan makes sense and the teaching point is realized." 

The above was very hard for me to do but ultimately had to be achieved in order to "Soldier" or be a part of a UNIT or TEAM.  Then after certain things was again hard to achieve or not be in constant struggle with.

I have approached this thinking with my Judeo-Christian logic.

In other brief simple words,  "It is hard to kill a fly and not be heard before a fly falls far from the finger while the eye is on him and his stick does the work, the fly does not chose to be seen or heard but his mere presence is in essence the reason for the sticks being".

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/04/2011 at 15:43
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 17:41

If humanly possible...

Dan-

That is one of the scopes I was testing.  I am about to return it to the rightful owner.  While it is a nice scope, it would not be my pick for this rifle.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 17:50

I do not have a proper named picked out yet I need help.

Yours seems to be very fitting...

If I kept up with the "K" I would need help.

I came across the concept and the word KOAN that does have a special meaning to me.

so maybe Koana???

"Koan(a)" or "kung-fu an-tu" is a principle (although Budhist and I am the furthest from) to which I believe that would be fitting of a rifle that is used in war that could tell many open ended stories to which we do not know the answer to.

"The purpose of kōans for a Zen practitioner is to become aware of the difference between himself, his mind, and his beliefs, which influence how he sees the world; and, ultimately, to help him realize his true nature. Once a Zen practitioner becomes aware of his mind as an independent form, the kōan makes sense and the teaching point is realized." 

The above was very hard for me to do but ultimately had to be achieved in order to "Soldier" or be a part of a UNIT or TEAM.  Then after certain things was again hard to achieve or not be in constant struggle with.

I have approached this thinking with my Judeo-Christian logic.

In other brief simple words,  "It is hard to kill a fly and not be heard before a fly falls far from the finger while the eye is on him and his stick does the work, the fly does not chose to be seen or heard but his mere presence is in essence the reason for the sticks being".

That is a nice name.

I might name my next rifle too, although I need to decide on the name.  Perhaps, "Kohen" since I come from a long line of Kohens on my father's side.

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 18:15
Alright what is your pick for your scope???

KB-

How would you say the recoil was?

With an effective muzzle brake I tell people around a low recoil 00 12ga...

No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 18:25

KB-

I am working on what the pick would be.  Not sure yet.

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 18:28
VERY-VERY-VERY INTERESTED...

WHAT WOULD BE THE PICKS FOR THESE RANGES

1-350

350-500

500-750

750-1000

1000-1500

1500-2000

No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 18:36

KB-

I like the name choice...

Recoil is much less than a 12ga, but only fired 230gr bullet and not a heavy load, so far.  I've only fired from "bench" with the Lead Sled and standing.  Reacquisition is nearly instantaneous from standing.  It's a mild "push" that allows you to just kind of "settle" back into the next shot.  Pretty amazing rifle.  Nothing like any of the .338's I've fired before.  I suspect a combination of stock angle, muzzle brake, overall weight and weight distribution in a well balanced package.  I think you'll like it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic