OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed Rimfire Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed Rimfire Scope
    Posted: December/24/2010 at 08:54
Looking for a fixed power (4x or 6x), inexpensive scope for a Remington 552 Speedmaster.  Main use will be for playing around at the range and introducing my kids to shooting.  Maybe a little squirrel hunting in the future.  Does not have to be a dedicated "rimfire" scope (whatever that means).  $150 tops.  Guess I'll need some rings do.

Any ideas?

Steve
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 09:47
I would suggest the Weaver 4X. It is a great glass for the money. It uses the same fully multi-coated lenses as Weaver's big game scopes and the reticle is quite usable for hunting and target. http://swfa.com/Weaver-4x28-Classic-Rimfire-Rifle-Scope-P599.aspx
I use low powered big game scopes and rimfires too. Parallax is not a problem with any 4X on a .22 if you choose that route. There are many more options in 4X, but the Weaver is still tops for a .22.
Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 16:19
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I would suggest the Weaver 4X. It is a great glass for the money. It uses the same fully multi-coated lenses as Weaver's big game scopes and the reticle is quite usable for hunting and target. http://swfa.com/Weaver-4x28-Classic-Rimfire-Rifle-Scope-P599.aspx
I use low powered big game scopes and rimfires too. Parallax is not a problem with any 4X on a .22 if you choose that route. There are many more options in 4X, but the Weaver is still tops for a .22.

A most excellent recommendation.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 21:24
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

+100! I own 2 of them!
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2010 at 09:58
That weaver would be a great choice for sure! another one I have had great results with is the burris rimfire.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2010 at 17:19
The Nikon Prostaff 4x can be had for abt $90 and does a very good job, beyond its price. I find it close to the Weaver 2-7 in optics, but don't have a Weaver 4x to compare it to.
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2010 at 20:38
I just put a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 4x on my 10/22 and it is excellent for the $89.95 I paid for it. The "free" rings that come with it are charlie romeo alpha papa however, so I would plan on buying some better rings. Fortunately, just about every ring out there qualifies as better.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2010 at 20:54
Originally posted by onfinal onfinal wrote:

The "free" rings that come with it are charlie romeo alpha papa however, so I would plan on buying some better rings. Fortunately, just about every ring out there qualifies as better.

I recommend getting some Warne rimfire rings with whatever scope you're getting too.
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2010 at 05:41
I'm a very happy owner of the Nikon 4x32 rimfire, and I use it for exactly the purposes you mentioned.  I thought it was a bargain for $109, and now they're going for < $90.

I also have a Vortex Crossfire 4x32 rimfire, & it seems to be nearly identical to the Nikon in optics & performance, though it make be a skosh bigger.

FC
Hubby11 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 04:56
Thanks for the advice.  The Weaver is looking good.  I'll also consider the Vortex since I have one of theirs already (a Viper) and like Vortex's CS.  "Course the best CS is the one you never have to use, I don't know a thing about Weaver's.  Less important with a $100 scope IMO.

Thanks again,
Steve
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 17:09
That Weaver is a damn nice scope. I bought my father-in-law one of the Nikon's and he likes it, but optically, it's not as clear as the Weaver. I'd avoid the Crossfire line from Vortex. 
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 19:51
I have had a Crossfire for well over a year. I have beat it pretty hard on a Webley Patriot springer and it has held up, unlike the mounts. The optics aren't the best and I don't expect them to be for the money. But, reliable it has been.
Doug
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 20:09
Fixed or variable on that Crossfire Tahqua? I bought 2 of the $99 sale price variables and one failed after about a dozen shots on a .17HM2 bolt gun. The second one is mounted up but haven't had time to test it out yet.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 20:16
That's the one I have and I have seen that a few of you guys have had problems. I consider it a test. Unfortunately it is a heavy scope and won't sit still on the mounts I've tried on that pathetic little 3/8" dovetail. The pins have jumped right over the cross slots.
I'm going back to the drawing board. Or, I'll try it on another heavy springer, my RWS 350 Magnum.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic