OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Muzzle Loader Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmeyen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muzzle Loader Scope
    Posted: December/24/2010 at 08:52
I am currently shooting a T/C Omega with the trigger pull set at 3 lbs topped off with a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 BDC 250 Omega scope.  I use 150 grains of pyrodex (3 pellets), and a 250 grain T/C Shockwave or 250 grain Barnes bullet.  I would like a scope with more magnification for longer shots (like a 3 X 12 or 4.5 X 14) .  I am thinking about going with a mil-dot scope.  What scope would you recommend?
JAM
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 09:56
That depends on price range.  I hunt a lot with a Encore musket and I had good success with the same combo you are running BDC Omega scope but i felt like the glass on that scope was really not up to speed. I have been using a fixed 6x leupold FX3 heavy duplex as a temporary fix and using the finger adjustable knobs to dial in correction. I ordered in two scopes a Trijicon 5-20x50 green illuminated mil dot and  one of the on sale Burris 3-12x50 so I will probably put the Burris on it and play with that for a while I think it will be a really solid scope and I will just have to figure out what the BDC lines represent which is pretty easy to do just zero the center x at 100 and aim at the center at 200 and see where on the reticle the bullet hole corresponds to then work at other distances.   Hard to beat the deal on this Burris.

Burris 3-12x50 Euro Diamond  

If you really want more power and want to go to mil dot  when the Vortex Viper PST s come out in a month or two I would use one of those. http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-Rifle-Scopes-C2860.aspx  or a Sightron SIII but those options will cost you double what the Burris above would.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 08:40
I hunt with an Encore topped with a Trijicon 1.25-4x24. I can't imagine any ethical shot with a muzzleloader much beyond 300 yards, and that's pushing it. Not that you can't hit the target, the energy just isn't there to insure a clean kill EVERY time and the bullet drop is huge. My point is that the scope you have seems more than enough. Just my opinion tho.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 10:38
I use a Leupold 2.5-8 on  my Encores ...Seems like plenty of scope magnification for any ethical shot a muzzleloader is capable of .. what range are you looking to shoot to require greater magnification than 9X ?
Chiefs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chiefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 12:57
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

That depends on price range.  I hunt a lot with a Encore musket and I had good success with the same combo you are running BDC Omega scope but i felt like the glass on that scope was really not up to speed. I have been using a fixed 6x leupold FX3 heavy duplex as a temporary fix and using the finger adjustable knobs to dial in correction. I ordered in two scopes a Trijicon 5-20x50 green illuminated mil dot and  one of the on sale Burris 3-12x50 so I will probably put the Burris on it and play with that for a while I think it will be a really solid scope and I will just have to figure out what the BDC lines represent which is pretty easy to do just zero the center x at 100 and aim at the center at 200 and see where on the reticle the bullet hole corresponds to then work at other distances.   Hard to beat the deal on this Burris.

Burris 3-12x50 Euro Diamond  

If you really want more power and want to go to mil dot  when the Vortex Viper PST s come out in a month or two I would use one of those. http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-Rifle-Scopes-C2860.aspx  or a Sightron SIII but those options will cost you double what the Burris above would.
I went with the Leupold Ultimate Slam, seems good
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic