OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is I stoopid? EGW Base...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is I stoopid? EGW Base...
    Posted: December/23/2010 at 22:56
Ok, finally got around to mounting the EGW on my savage 10fcp.  Put it on the other day, havent had time to look at it since.  Went down tonight to adjust the bolt, and it was locked tight....

Im thinking to myself, did one of the screws for the base actually go through and hit it?  Ive never looked to see if those are through holes or not.  Anyways, it came with 3 screws that were the same length, and one a bit shorter.  Now, I have put on a few bases, but had a lot of rifles with integrated bases...but I have always put the shortest screw furthest to the front.

So I backed out the front screw of the base, still locked.  Backed out second screw, freed up the bolt.  Switched the shortest screw to 2nd position.  Is it always like that?  Am I just slow for never noticing those were not blind holes?

That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 01:40
I guess I got lucky. I have the same base on a model 11. I didn't notice any difference in the length of the screws when I mounted it, and never had any problems. I would just chalk it up to experience. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 01:49
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

Am I just slow for never noticing those were not blind holes?

I probably put it all down to not reading the instructions...you wouldn't be the first person to not read the instructions.

John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 09:08
The 2nd screw is usually shorter because that is where the locking lug is in the action, so it needs to be shorter to allow it to move and one has to be filed down a bit.  Sometimes they send screws all the same.  Sounds like you got the right ones, just put them in the wrong order. 

Edited by supertool73 - December/24/2010 at 10:03
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 09:17
This is a Cooper rifle, but you can see where the screws go in. 

Edited by supertool73 - December/24/2010 at 09:17
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 10:00
Dont think the base came with instructions....

Also, spent time always putting shortest screw forward....Glad to know I can stop doing that, and it is ok.  Was surprised it would be a through hole though, would think they would drill it all the way through just for that reason.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 10:02
All of them are drilled through.  The front one just does not seem that way because it hits the threaded part of the barrel.

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 10:27
That cut-away pic is awesome. It is amazing what they can do with a water-jet!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic