OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schmidt & Bender vs. Zeiss vs. Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwiftKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidt & Bender vs. Zeiss vs. Swarovski
    Posted: December/05/2005 at 17:31

Ok, thinking about putting a new scope on my weatherby, this is what I'm looking at:

1) Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 w/ 30mm tube

2) Zeiss Diavari VM/V 3-12x56 w/ 30mm tube

3) Swarovski Habicht 4-16x50 w/ 30mm tube

All of these scopes are around the same price, w/ the Swarovski being a little bit cheaper.  I am leaning toward the Schmidt & Bender, b/c I don't really need a 56mm scope, and the S&B has a little better twlight factor than the Swarovski, but the Swarovski has a little bigger field of view on the lowest magnification than the S&B.  Anywho, tell me what you think.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 18:23

You could always go with a Zeiss Diavari with a smaller objective lens, No?

I like the S&B, but the Diavari(with a smaller objective) is a superb as well.  

I'd take the Swaro last.

A hunting rifle setup I assume??

Welcome, friend!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 18:32
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 21:18

I have owned products from all three companies mentioned.

I own the a S&B 3-12x42 (Cheaptrick mentioned scope) and S&B PMII in 3-12x50 (34mm Tube) If this is for hiking / hunting my vote would be for the 3-12x42 S&B. If this for long range the 4-16 in the Swaro or S&B would be my pick; giving the S&B my nod.

I too am not a fan of the big 56mm Zeiss Scopes; just because of size. Have you looked at the new Zeiss Scopes just released?

Redfish View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 21:45

When you purchase your scope keep in mind that the objective size affects how the scope is mounted on your weapon.  I just got me a new swaro, and after mounting my first choice (4-12x50) I was not satisfied with the way it mounted on the rifle.  With the high rings It didnt feel good to look through so we had to go with the 3-10x42 mm on standard rings which felt much better when looking through the scope in field conditions.  Did I lose any dim light performance? I dont feel that I did, the 42mm is plenty bright. Just my humble opinion.

I dont think that you are going to make a wrong choice with any of the scopes you listed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2005 at 01:52
Originally posted by noddah noddah wrote:

Have you looked at the new Zeiss Scopes just released?

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/5216619920/zeiss_5-15x42 _davari_vm_v_rifle_scope.htm

This one??

This scope appears to be a RFP reticle scope, which is cool for big game hunting I suppose.

The S&B 3-12x42mm is a great scope!! I owned one too!! 

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2005 at 20:44

I currently own a S&B 3-12x42, Zeiss VM/V 3-12x56, Swarovski 1.5-6x42, Swarovski 2.5-10x42 and I love them all.  They are all very similar optically but very different in size, weight, construction, ect.

I agree with most people and am not a big fan of large objective riflescopes and I prefer 42mm due to being able to mount them lower, more portability, and comparible performance with the larger objective scopes.

However I have to argue this point.  One of the most important things to me is to have a portable scope, that is not too bulky and "resonably" light.  Of the choices mentioned I would go with the Zeiss 3-12x56.  I know many of you will argue that it is more bulky due to the large objective but have you really looked at the scopes mentioned in person.  The Zeiss is much smaller and lighter than any of them.

S&B 4-16x50    it is 15.71" long and weighs 27.6 ozs.

Swaro 4-16x50  it is 14.2 " long and weighs 22.2 ozs.

Zeiss 3-12x56   it is 13.54" long and weighs 17.8 ozs.

Unless this is strictly a beanfield rifle and never meant to be carried, I think that you might regret getting such a large scope.  I own the Zeiss and it is very short, light, and very portable despite the large objective and it is much more versatile.  Just my opinion.  I hope this helps.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2005 at 23:24

All are good, I prefer Zeiss products.  Personally, I would not want any of the above scopes.  They are all too big for my taste.

ranburr

timbercruiser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbercruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2005 at 21:47
I don't understand the problems that many people say they have with the larger (56mm) scopes. I don't notice the height difference at all. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Zeiss 3x12x56 a few months ago and I am as tickled as a twopeckered billy goat.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2005 at 22:15

I find the height difference to be a real pain when it comes to getting a good cheek weld.  I also don't like the extra bulk and weight that come with a larger objective.

ranburr

SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2005 at 04:04
I just bought a S&B KlassiK is 3-12x42 with the 9 reticle and it is phenomenal. I think all scopes are good but i like the S&B flavor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic