OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone tried Vortex Nomad 20-60x60?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagerDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tried Vortex Nomad 20-60x60?
    Posted: December/23/2010 at 01:40
I know Vortex has a reputation for great value.  How does image quality compare to the leupold compacts?  I really think I wanted an angled scope.

Current use is just seeing bullet holes to 200 yds., but looking for a scope with a bit more capability.  Price limit is $500, but less is even better if i don't have to sacrifice much quality.
JagerDog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagerDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 01:46
Also wondering how the angled Leupold Sequoia stacks up.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 07:39
When i asked a few guys at SWFA a while back about a sub $500 spotting scope the nomad was the one they recommend at the time.  I ended up not getting it but I'm sure that if I did get a spotter i'd look first at Vortex
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 09:03
I had the Nomad (straight).  I was pretty disappointed to tell the truth.  It isn't the sharpest scope out there, and suffered from low contrast.  Vortex used to make a 15-45X60 called the Stokes Sandpiper.  It was a pretty nice scope in that price range.  I don't know if you could find one now.

I also briefly had a Leupold Sequoia when they were first released.  That was a poor spotter.

In the $500 range these are some often recommended angled scopes:

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-20-60x80-Legend-Ultra-HD-Spotting-Scope-P13135.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-20-60x80-Skyline-Spotting-Scope-P10874.aspx

Celestron Regal ED 16-48X65 can be found on the net at around $400.

The only one I've used much is the Skyline, and I thought it was pretty capable.  Nothing to be found but praise for the Regal ED series.  I might end up checking one out.

-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic