OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it?
    Posted: December/21/2010 at 15:04

See the link below...

I sent an email with the pic attached to SWFA, and Brady posted it at the Texas Hunting Forum on my behalf.  It's generating quite the stir there!

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1941343#Post1941343

So... I thought, "what the hell," I might as well bring the discussion here too!

What say you?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 16:05
Looks like a panther to me
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 16:16
 I honestly can't tell except that comparing it's size to the 55gal feeder I'm guessing it's no house cat. The wife's going to try and "clean up" the lower pic later on and I'll post it.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 17:11
It has the lines of a cougar, but need something to reference the size to.  Compared to the feeder it looks too small for a cougar.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 17:16
Maybe a cougar bred with a house cat.  If that is the case I think it would be called a hougar. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 17:19
Think that would have been called an OUCH.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 17:30
There's a rare wild cat called a jaguarundi that has a dark grey to black color phase that this looks a lot like.  It is known to exist in Central and South America and Mexico and there have supposedly been a few confirmed sightings in deep south TX and parts of NM, but they are endangered and they haven't been known to range this far north.  They are slightly larger than a house cat.  To me,  the critter in the pic looks just like one.  I would say it's just a black house cat, except the cat in the pic looks longer and leaner than a domestic cat to me.  If this is indeed a jaguarundi, then this is an extremely rare event, as the pic was taken not far from the Red River, just south of the Oklahoma border.  From what I've read, deep south TX is the farthest known northern extent of their range in TX and there hasn't been any confirmed reports of jaguarundis anywhere near this far north.

Take a look at the pic of the dark gray phase jaguarundi in this link...

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 17:43
Even if they claim there has never been a confirmed "black panther" in Texas, when I was very young my grandfather and father used to talk about the "sighting" of black panthers all the time and we saw animals that looked just like that on the Neches River banks.  An 8 inch tarantula once jumped on my fathers hand from a tree... he brought it home in a big mason jar.  They don't "grow" in Texas either. 
That looks exactly like the "black panther" we saw.  Maybe a little mangy.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 18:00
  Best she could do:

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 19:16
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Maybe a cougar bred with a house cat.  If that is the case I think it would be called a hougar. 

That is what I refer to as a bobcat.

My first thought was actually a black coyote, but it does have lines more like a cat.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 19:19
It is a kitty cat.  Almost looks like a pink collar on there as well, might just be the pic.

-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 19:44
its got a pretty long tail to be a dog, but the head looks like a dogs head, but the hind end looks like a cat to me.

its confusedBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 23:03

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 23:09
Well its no bobcat from the tail now the next thing to do is have something to determine its size like a yardstick in the same location with the same camera angle.  I have a population of bobcats and one of mine if very dark almost black this is a really young one in the photo above.
DNR swears there are no Cougars in Iowa but several have been killed and Preston put an arrow through one with me watching it happen so some of these preditors are out there and they are very good at not being seen.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Black_jaguar.jpg

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/21/2010 at 23:16

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 10:44
 I don't have a 55gal drum (if that's what that feeder is) to measure across the bottom of.  We could use it for a comparison?
 Also,Jaguars have a color phase known as "melanistic color variation".  Maybe a young one in the Texas pic?

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 13:19
That would make sense, they have jaguars in Arizona and New Mexico.  Not to far to get to Texas.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/es/jaguar_management.shtml
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:21
So Ted how big is your alley cat?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 16:46
I would lean toward it being a juvenile jaguar.  The lines do not look like jaguarundi to me.

ILya
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 23:57
looks like a panther to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic