OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris 8X56 vs Zen-Ray line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris 8X56 vs Zen-Ray line
    Posted: December/21/2010 at 10:01

I want the best binos in the $200 range.  I use the binos for hunting in GA.  Sometimes in the woods and sometimes in open fields usually less than 200 yards.  I want binos mainly for low light situations at dusk.  I also plan to go out west to hunt elk, mule deer and I want the binos to be flexible enough for use there as well.  I know I have a lot of wants for a $200 pair of binos. 

I had decided on the Zen-Ray ZRS HD 8X42 due to all the good comments from this forum, but today the Burris Signature Select 8X56 for $199 was sent to my email.  Now I am leaning toward the Burris.  Can I have some suggestions from ya'll.  Thanks, Gary.
castlebravo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castlebravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 11:15
Well, the Burris Signature Selects weigh 36 ounces, vs 23 ounces for the Zen-Rays.

The exit pupil on the Burris 8x56's is 7mm, vs 5.2mm for the Zen-Rays, so the Burris's should perform better in low-light.

I haven't looked through the Burris binos, but I do have a pair of Zen-Ray 8x42 ZRS HD's.  I feel they compare favorably to Monarch ATBs and Monarch X's.  They are good binos.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 11:24
The ZRS is just about the best binocular in its price range I've ever used.  You really have an apples to oranges comparison.  You don't say how you need to use them.  If stand hunting and low light is your deal, the Burris are probably the best.  There is no more compact x42 binocular than the ZRS, so if you are hiking with them around your neck, the ZRS would be the way to go. 

I don't have a lot of experience with the Burris Signature glass, and have not seen an 8x56 at all.  The x42 Burris always seemed like good glass.

Edited by Klamath - December/21/2010 at 11:25
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 14:57
Originally posted by gprince gprince wrote:

I want the best binos in the $200 range. 
 I want binos mainly for low light situations at dusk. 

Gary,

Part of the fun of using binoculars is being able to test them, and return them, if they do not live up to your wants or expectations.
If it were me, I'd give the Burris 8x56mm a test drive, but, only if the seller has a Very Good Return Policy.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Big Grin 
It's what we call "A Learing Experience".

gprince View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 20:11
I am leaning towards the Burris Signature Select 8X56, due the the nearly $300 price drop.

Klamath,

I will use the binos hunting from a stand most of the time.

Since I don't have anywhere near me to take a look through the Burris, I am looking for opinions from anyone who has a pair of Burris binos.  Preferably the signature select.

Thanks for the help.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 21:07
Here is what the owner, Chris Farris has to say about the Burris about half way down the page. Better hurry, though.
http://www.opticstalk.com/major-savings-on-discontinued-close-out-burris_topic26571_page1.html
Doug
Tankbuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tankbuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 01:33

I have the same question, was going to order the ZEN-RAY ZRS HD , but the Burris 8x56 look pretty good. Do the Burris 8x56 have the same nice high internal build as the ZEN's?

gprince View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 10:46
Thanks for the replies.  I decided to purchase the Burris 8X56 and I am pleased so far.  I did not have the benefit of testing the Zen Ray, so I cannot compare the two. 

My main purpose for getting the larger objective was for light gathering in low light conditions.  Mission accomplished!  I last hunted about a week ago in the evening and I lost track of time.  I was in the stand 20 - 25 min after legal shooting time because I could still see with the binos.  There was a quarter moon out that night which helped.  Once I noticed the time, I left.  It is not my intent to hunt past legal shooting hours.

They are very clear.  In one of my stands, as the sun went down, I had trouble seeing one of the corners of the field through my old/cheap binos.  With the Burris, I had not such problem.  The center is more clear than the outer edge of the glass also.

I am not an expert in optics, but these are some of the best binos I have looked through.  My bil has some Steiner Predators which are very clear, but I have not spent a lot of time looking through them and I have not had time to compare them.  I may do that this weekend.

My one complaint is the center focus.  I don't know if this is true on all of the Burris 8X56 binos, but the center focus dial is tight on the edges, but in the center it is very loose.  If anyone else has experience with these, is this the norm or is there an adjustment I could make to make the center focus dial more consistent from left to right or visa versa.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking at the Burris 8X56.

jjyoung View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 19:48
I also bought a pair of the Burris 8x56 binos.  I have not had any issues with the focus dial.  It is very smooth and only gets a little stiffer when hunting in 0 F weather.  I am very pleased with the binos and they have already helped me shoot a coyote in the three times I have used them.  I hunt coyotes at night on frozen lakes and marsh and they enable me to scan the marshy shorelines looking for coyotes coming into the call.  Before I started using the binocs, the coyotes were able to get very close before I could spot them.  Now I can spot them almost 800yds away depending on the terrain.  This enables me to turn my body if I have to in order to get ready for the shot.  I feel this has really leveled the playing field in terms of a person's and coyotes night vision. I am sold on these binos for night time use.  
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 22:44
gprince,
By wanting the focus dial to be more balanced from left to right, do you mean the image isn't  the same on both tubes of the binocular? You focus the left tube and then balance out the right tube by adjusting the right eye piece until the right side is focused the same as the left side. Maybe I misunderstood your statement, but this would correct what I think you're saying. If I'm wrong, just excuse me, as I'm a grandpa now!
I got these 8 X 56 Burris also and I like them.Excellent
Black Bear Road
gprince View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 07:26
No, the focus is not the issue, it is the mechanical dial that is not smooth when I focus.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by gprince gprince wrote:

No, the focus is not the issue, it is the mechanical dial that is not smooth when I focus.
That does not sound like it is right.  It will probably not get better with time either.  Give Burris support a call and see what they say.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

BinoBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinoBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 21:56
I bought the Burris 8x56 and love them!  I think they are a spectacular deal at $200.  Here is a link to my review on another forum:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189484
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 19:34
Are they sold out, or can I not find them?
BinoBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinoBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 09:14
They must have just sold out.  The link worked a couple of days ago.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 10:42
Maybe Chris will get some more arriving soon (please?)...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 16:44
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

Are they sold out, or can I not find them?
Since SWAF is sold out, (I bought 2) I hope it would not be inappropriate to suggest you look (quickly) at a certain big on line auction sight??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic