OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My Springfield XDM 40 3.8 Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Springfield XDM 40 3.8 Review
    Posted: December/20/2010 at 17:44
As some of you know i recently picked up a Springfield XDM .40 3.8 version last week. I was able to put 50 rounds (my wife and dad shot a few of those) through it Sunday afternoon. The weather was gorgeous for this time of year. Mid 30's very little wind and sunny. 

My dad also picked up a Glock 23 and i'll put my observations of it in parts of the review as well.

Feel/Ergonomics: A+

This pistol (for me) is hands down the best polymer on the market in terms of Ergonomics. I've tested it out against Glock, FN's, S&W M&P's, Sig 226/229's, HK USP etc. The HK would be a close 2nd and the M&P right there as well.  This pistol employs a 1911 grip style and aggressive pattern on the grip itself. Sticks in a bare hand very well. I have yet to test it out with a glove but will do so shortly. Overall it feels like it was custom fit for my hand. Mag release is located in a great location and minimal movement is needed to employ it during reload (i have medium/large sized hands) Comes with 3 backstraps. The medium one was installed and that's what i tested with. Have yet to try out the thin or thickest back strap. Compared to my dad's Glock 23, it's not even comparable ergonomics wise. And i'm not a Glock basher, it's just the way it is in this department.

Operation: A-

Another very high mark for this pistol from my observations. Everything works very smoothly. The Mag release is firm but responsive. It won't release by brushing up against it. The mags release and enter extremely smoothly. I don't really want to dock a point for it, but the Glock 23 mags lock in with less force (not by much). No rattle when moving the pistol around for test purposes. Slide is real smooth with very minimal grit going back.  I'm sure it will only get better as the springs get broken in. Slide stop is slightly larger that the Glock (which i like) and it is responsive to thumb pressure. One of the best stops i tested out. Would be a wash between the XDM and G23. Both were nice. No manuel safety to worry about.

Trigger: B

Very solid out of the box trigger. I handled a bunch of different Xdm's from different stores and i really got lucky with mine. It probably has the nicest trigger out of the handful i tried. It's technically a SA trigger and there is slight take up before you get tension. Very minimal grit but again, compared to other triggers it's still in the top tier. I'd say mine breaks right around 5.5-6 lbs without testing it. For initial pull it beats the Glock23 in my book as the G23 is a heavier trigger pull and grittier. However, the G23 has a slight edge in reset travel. That's where the Xdm loses a point here. It's still good, i'm simply stating that there are better triggers when i comes to reset. I feel i can be very accurate even with the bare bones stock trigger.

From 30 ft (10 yards)  (10 shots closest to middle are mine)

The 10 shots closest to the middle are mine from the first go around. My wife took 4 shots on this target, the bottom 3 and top center. 60 year old Mom even shot once Big Grin (to the far right in red). My wife did very well on other target which i don't have a pic of (damnit!), i think she's got some hidden talent there! I'm pretty happy with the results. Having no prior shooting experience with this pistol i think it has the potential to be damn accurate. 8-10 are all inside a 2 inch box. Left and right/Up and down is pretty well spot on. Just need to keep getting better with trigger control and the groups will tighten.

Recoil: A (compared to G23)

I've read reports that the 40 is a snappy round and some people don't like it that much. With this pistol, nonsense. It comes in at 28 oz with empty mag and over 2 lbs fully loaded. I found the recoil very manageable and follow up shots were quick and level. I was very surprised to see how well the gun came back to target on each follow up shot. My dad admitted the same. The G23 gave my dad some problems pinching his trigger finger on reset. I noticed this a little bit but the thing that bothered me was the middle finger on my right hand getting rubbed bad by the trigger guard on his G23 which i've read about on numerous sites. The lighter nature of the glock also makes it a tougher gun to control on follow up shots in comparison to the XDm. There is a solid 7 oz weight difference with empty mag, and even more so fully loaded because the Xdm has greater firepower at 16-13.

Reliability: So far A+

So far went through a box of PMC Bronze FMJ without a hitch. Ate it up and spit it out. Only 50 rounds in, so we'll see how she does at 500+ but i have no reason to worry thus far.

Take down/Cleaning: A+

Absolute breeze. One one the, if not the easiest of the polymer pistols. Rotate slide takedown lever and ease slide forward. No need to touch the trigger, it's that simple. Put it back together after 10 mins cleaning and lubing and lock slide back, rotate lever back down and she's done.

Overall Impressions: A

Couldn't be happier with it so far. It feels amazing, shoots straight. Has been 100& reliable thus far and i'd absolutely recommend this pistol to anyone looking at it as a potential buy.

The wife was excited because she got the brass flying out of the picture above. It is a pretty sweet picture.Big Grin

Edited by shooter07 - December/20/2010 at 18:03
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 20:25
I'm going to see what pics are left on the camera and throw a few more up tomorrow for OT viewing pleasure! 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 06:42
Very well written.  A+Excellent
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 06:48
Thanks G. Glad to do it Big Smile
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 08:12
nice job, wish i would have been there to try it out!Excellent
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 08:50
Nice write-up Paul!  Sounds alot like my perceptions on teh indoor range's rental 45ACP XDm I tried and I'm sure it had a butt load of pills down it's throat!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 08:53
Thanks Hunter and Bud....i'm pretty stoked with the purchase as you can tell. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 09:25
I love mine. I have already put about 200 rounds through it, and haven't had a single hitch. I'll agree with you though. I gave mine an A and would of been an A+ but the trigger could be better. I still won't give her up though. I was even on paper at 50 yds, which I think is pretty respectable. If you carry, consider the DeSantis ProStealth holster, it fits it perfectly, and keeps it right where it needs to be, and it's ambidextrous(spelling?) Anyhow, Springfield has a great pistol in the XDm 3.8.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 09:47
Hi Paul,

Im glad you finally got what you wanted and that its living up to your expectations my friend...Good Deal! & Merry Christmas to you......

Jules...........

Edited by JF4545 - December/21/2010 at 09:48
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 17:16
Glad to see your face Jules! Been a while. Hope all is well on the west coast and Christmas goes great for everyone in your family. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 00:39
Awesome write up paul! glad to hear you like the xdm...Excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic