OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

German #1 post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon in Germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: German #1 post
    Posted: December/04/2005 at 01:43

I am an American living in Germany where scope prices are criminal.  I have a Leupold VX-II with the German #1, lots of Germans use Leupold because it is cheaper when compared to the Euro brands.

The post type reticle was common in Weavers in the old El Paso days, and even Redfield of Denver had post reticles.  The old Scope Chief had the nifty command post reticle,  Why is it only Leupold has the option of #1 post reticles?  I suspect it is not by customer demand (in the US) I think it is because of the huge market here in Germany and Europe.

And please do not reply with the fact some US makers have the German #4 styles, they are a waste of time.

How can the US producers, Like Meade and Bushnell, and the true US scopes, Burris and Sightron be swayed to market the #1 like Leupold does?

I can't lose any weight, I tried jogging - I keep running into restaurants!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2005 at 19:42
I doubt if there will be. For some reason, there seems to be a misconception Euros know more about building scopes than Americans, but even worse that they know what we need in scopes (at least what I need). Post type scopes are good for rapid sight acquistion, but no more so than dots or various type of circles. But they are terrible for range estimation. This problem has been somewhat solved by ACOG which allows hold over under the Chevron, (a type of german post)' If a Euro market developed for an american scope with a German post, that has got to be some kind of irony.
Jon in Germany View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon in Germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 08:44

Hey Dale,

Well there is a huge American market for US based scopes here in Germany.  The typical hunter/shooter in Germany are rich.  Average blue collar types hunting and owning weapons here is a newer thing, that started in the last decade.  It is a VERY LONG explaination, so I will write about it later if anyone is interested.

And you are very correct when you wrote the Europeans think they know optics!!!!!!!

But the rich automaticly buy Zeiss, Khales, Swaro and so on.  They are EXPECTED to do so, it is a statius symbol.  The majority of these men are of senior citizen age, who do not change in their ways.  In fact it is beyond a true (read as 'rich') hunters dignity to zero his rifle, a part of the package when they but a hunting rifle, is to have the mounts and optics mounted, and zeroed by the selling gunsmith, who does get a hefty fee for this.

I have hunted with a man who is a land rights holder for 900 hectars of prime hunting land.  In the 12 years I have been hunting with him, he has never even taken the caps off of his scope to adjust it.  When he said his scope was 'broken' he paied to have the scope 'fixed' which translated to mean his gunsmith re-zeroed the scope to the new brand of ammo he switched to.

The lower waged persons that I am more familiar with for hunting, and belong to a gun club with, use Bushnell Banner & Trophy, Simmons Pro Hunter and even the dreaded Tasco.  The Tascos sold under another name here (FYI is called Luger Optik GmbH), are expensive, a version of the China made World Class 3-9x will cost over €100  (about $125 US).

The guys I shoot with here save up for several months for Leupols VX-I's here, which start out at €295 from the only authorized dealer here for Leupold (called Henke  ref:www.henke-online.de). Nikon is also catching on a 3-9x Monarch is €459.

But except for the Leupold, all the others are just range scopes, because of the lack of #1 post reticles.  Although most hunting here, the shot will be less than 100 meters.  In fact my longest shot here was 200 meters, for insurance and safety most hunting areas do not allow shots longer than 100 meters.

Because of the younger shooters and hunters with very limited funds, the US based optics are very popular here, and they all ask why don't the companies put in the #1.  For the hunters like me, they all find the #4 useless for boar and fox at night, we hunt from about 23:00 to 04:00 for fox and boar, and nothing can replace the value of the #1.  Illuminated reticles go from being legal to illegal, so most serious hunters don't mess with them.

I hunted here strictly on the German side, and was not a part of US Forces, so I had to do all the BS the Germans have to, including paying the outraegous prices.  The companies would make a killing with a #1 post in some scopes, especially Bushnell.

Whew, kind of rambeling, sorry................................Jon

I can't lose any weight, I tried jogging - I keep running into restaurants!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic