OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Monarch vs razor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch vs razor
    Posted: December/20/2010 at 13:21
 Anyone done any comparisons between the Nikon Monarch and Vortex razor scopes?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 14:04
they arent' in teh same league the Razor is far superior
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 15:03
The vipor is more in line with the monarch.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 15:05
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

The vipor is more in line with the monarch.

good call jeff!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 15:08
Monarch Bowto Razor
-Matt
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 15:37
Monarch is nowhere near as good.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 22:50

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

LMMFAO!!!  Elite

We are in the presence of true genius.

Few things on these boards are both profoud and  humorous.  I've read this probably several hundred times before it struck me in all its glory.  If you don't recognize it, it's Rancid's sig line.

I may carve that out of a piece of oak with a coping saw, put an oil finish on it and then use some Brownell's Steel Bed to bind it to my door at work so every student coming into my office sees it, especially my statistics students.

I applaud you sir...Bravo, Bravo!

Edited by Magnumdood - December/20/2010 at 22:51
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 10:12
Just curious. I know some people slam the Monarch Binoculars. But I have to say that the pair I own is very clear and I consider them a lot of "bang for my buck".
 I own a Viper scope and while it is pretty good for the money, it is not close to a Monarch. Hence the question about the Razor.
 BTW Bitterroot, have you got a chance to look thru the new Zen Ray spotting scope? Would like to hear your views comparing it to your Razor. 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 10:37
It is not accurate to compare a scope to bair of binoculars to a scope or spotter.  We were assuming that you wanted a comparison on rifle scopes.  On the other hand the Razor bino will eat the Monarchs lunch.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 14:12
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

It is not accurate to compare a scope to bair of binoculars to a scope or spotter.  We were assuming that you wanted a comparison on rifle scopes.  On the other hand the Razor bino will eat the Monarchs lunch.

I am wanting a comparison of the two rifle scopes. The reference to the Monarch binoculars? I was told by several different people on this board that I was making a bad decision to purchase the Monarch binoculars back when i bought them.  and they were wrong. Excellant quality for the money.
 I bought a Viper scope this year when Vortex reduced the price. And it is OK. Nothing to write home about. Next year i am planning on making another scope purchase and was curious about the Razors. I have friends that have Monarchs, so I know what to expect there. And I am not ruling out a Conquest. And since I have almost no chance of looking thru different scopes, I rely heavily on internet boards such as this one.
 And BTW, if money was not an issue, the decision on what optics to buy would be easy. It would start with a Z and cost beau-ceau bucks. The reality of the situation is that money is a factor. 
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 14:12
I did actually find a stocking dealer with all the Viper line in a neat display (this guy always seems to get what's hot, after its not).

Anyway, there they were, on a neat little plastic Vortex display.
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 14:35
the problem i have with the monarch is that when lookin through the glass the sight picture is surrounded by the thick black ring from the eye piece.

when i look through my leupold vx2 or my friends weaver classic (which i am about to make a post on bc its so good its stupid) i see the sight picture and around the sight picture i see a very nice thin black outline that represents the rifle scope im looking through. i get a nice big sight picture as a result. when i look through my monarch i see the sight picture but around it is so thick that i actually see less of a sight picture then i do the leupold. the weaver is a 38mm obj and i see about a little more than i do my 40mm monarch. its very annoying to me. i mean ive tried a conquest which has the rubber eye piece and its no obtrusive the way nikon did it.

as far as monarch's glass is concerned its good...its no where near what everyone makes it out to be though. i got the ucc for $199 and is that scope worth $199, yes. is the monarch 2.5-10 worth over $300, hell no.

ive never tried the viper before, i have a strike fire and i love it. if i was choosing between a monarch and a viper, i would gamble and go for the viper over the monarch. i have enough confidence that vortex did the right thing. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 14:36
tompac,

To respond I will have to go a little off-topic from your OP.  I hope that's OK.

The only Razor riflescopes currently available are the 5-20X50 and 1-4.  They are both top-tier scopes and in a totally different price bracket than the Monarch riflescopes.  Compared directly, the Razors are much better scopes, and should be, given the expense.

It seems you have come to your own conclusion regarding the Viper riflescopes vs. Monarch riflescopes debate.  My opinion is that they are close competitors with the Vipers winning on value and warranty.

I am glad you like your Monarch binoculars.  I haven't looked through any in about a year, just because there are so many good options in the price range now.  I remember the last Monarchs I looked through (ATB 8X42) being kind of soft, showing field curvature, and having an extremely narrow field of view.  They also readily showed CA, although I am quite sensitive to it.  If I remember right the FOV was the same through the 8X42 Monarch as my 10X42 Meoptas.  If they have improved lately, maybe I should take another look.

I would be interested in doing a side-by-side comparison of the Zen Ray spotter and my Razor HD.  Perhaps I will see if it would be possible to Test Drive.
-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 14:43
and if you wanna dive into binoculars, i looked through the monarchs and the redfields, walked outside and looked through the redfields and monarch, breathed on the front of the lens (the way someone does when trying to clean their glasses, you know to fog em up) and looked through both...

i got the redfield's. and saved $225 in the process...there was no difference...

i will admitt that this forum is a vortex fanboy forum. in almost every post i see vortex as a suggestion. at first i thought this was bad...then i realized everyone who is reccommending them actually owns them. 

its a crap shoot. i think the bushnell elite is better than monarch. id take the elite over vortex viper. but that isnt in the equation here. and inbetween the two that are, id go viper.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 14:49
Vortex Fanboy ...

That should be an Optics Talk Group.  Then replace Optics Grasshopper with Leupold Addict.

Bucky

-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 15:02
hahaha

i think its less fanboy now and more that its just a good scope.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 15:27
Originally posted by outlawskinnyd outlawskinnyd wrote:

i will admitt that this forum is a vortex fanboy forum. in almost every post i see vortex as a suggestion. at first i thought this was bad...then i realized everyone who is reccommending them actually owns them. 

Thats what happens when you own the best scopes in the $100, $200, and $300 price range.  you can argue that with the $400+ vipers there are other options like zeiss and elite, but you really can't in the 1,2,3 bill range.  (crossfire, diamondback, clearanced vipers).
tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 16:17
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

tompac,

To respond I will have to go a little off-topic from your OP.  I hope that's OK.

The only Razor riflescopes currently available are the 5-20X50 and 1-4.  They are both top-tier scopes and in a totally different price bracket than the Monarch riflescopes.  Compared directly, the Razors are much better scopes, and should be, given the expense.

It seems you have come to your own conclusion regarding the Viper riflescopes vs. Monarch riflescopes debate.  My opinion is that they are close competitors with the Vipers winning on value and warranty.

I am glad you like your Monarch binoculars.  I haven't looked through any in about a year, just because there are so many good options in the price range now.  I remember the last Monarchs I looked through (ATB 8X42) being kind of soft, showing field curvature, and having an extremely narrow field of view.  They also readily showed CA, although I am quite sensitive to it.  If I remember right the FOV was the same through the 8X42 Monarch as my 10X42 Meoptas.  If they have improved lately, maybe I should take another look.

I would be interested in doing a side-by-side comparison of the Zen Ray spotter and my Razor HD.  Perhaps I will see if it would be possible to Test Drive.

Bitterroots, thanks for your response. I have enjoyed reading your reviews here. Not sure what scope I will end up buying next year. I bought the 2-7x 32mm Viper this year and it is an ok scope. Put it on a new-to- me 110 in .308. Probably will  transfer it to my old Ruger 44 carbine that currently has a cheapo Bushnell on it. I do want a bigger objective for the .308. I have an older Elite 4000 on my Marlin 444 and even though optics have improved a lot since that scope was made, it is good enough that I will look at the Elite 4200. Anyway, going to keep an open mind. The biggest problem I have, and this goes for buying any optics, is other than Mack's in Stuttgart and Sports Academy in Lttle Rock, there is nowhere to go look thru different brands. And even those stores generaaly just carry a couple of different cheap scopes or binoculars, a couple in the mid range, and usually a couple of Alphas. And spotting scopes???? Usually a very cheap model and one of the Leopolds. So I depend a LOT  on reviews of people like yourself.
 Intend on buying a spotter next year. Be my first. And you have sold me on the Razor. Only thing is, it will be my first spotter and I am not willing to drop 1600.00 right now. Probably will wind up purchaseing The Celestron Regal 80. Not Alpha glass by any means, but the lady over at competitor really liked this scope. Good glass for the money. more or less put it optically with the Pentax PF80. I AM going to go ahead and buy a good tri-pod.
 Anyway, keep the reviews and ideas coming!!!!!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 16:20
Originally posted by outlawskinnyd outlawskinnyd wrote:

its a crap shoot. i think the bushnell elite is better than monarch. id take the elite over vortex viper. but that isnt in the equation here. and inbetween the two that are, id go viper.

one of the reasons we recommend Vortex so much is the value they where when they were marked down so much.  You will likely see after all them have been sold and they go back to regular prices they won't be as recommended as they are now.  In fact if you go back to when the markdown happened you will find thats when the recommendations started flying, it was the best value out there.  The glass is on par with the Elite 4200's but they have a better customer service reputation to back them.  Calling this forum a vortex fanboy forum may rub some peopel the wrong way..... just saying
tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 16:27
[

I am baseing my opinion on the Monarch Binoculars simply on how clear they are and the detail I can see useing them.  I  have several locust trees around my deerstand, going out to over 100 yards. And I can very clearly identify individual thorns with the Monarchs. All that said, the guys I hunt with use REALLY cheapo glass, so the Monarchs probably look better to me and my pards simply because we don't have anything better to compare them too. A LOT of people tried to guide me to the Zen Rays, but until they have been out for awhile and established a track record I was not willing to buy them. I took a chance with the VORTEX Viper scope because of the discounted price and apparent customer support by Vortex. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic