OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FN Scar 17s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FN Scar 17s
    Posted: December/19/2010 at 21:55
Any suggestions for an optic for the Scar Heavy?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 06:33
Whats the purpose and budget?
Faze13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 11:25
I was looking at the Acog TRIJICON TA01NSN 4x32 ACOG,..but most seem to be calibrated for .223 and I'm not sure if you can use it on the .308
This particular model has the hard irons on top of the scope itself and may suit both CQ's and longrande shooting. I'm in the U.S. Coast Guard and we don't really ever use Optics on our Rifles.
Price wise,...of course money is always an issue for most of us,...but I spent almost 3k on the rifle, so guess it would really be pointless to attach a crappy scope on this monster.
It seems after ready a little that the fiber optics in the Acog's are the way to go. Most Services in combat are talking highly of these.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 11:52
Trijicon makes some great stuff.  Take a look at the Accupoints as well a 1-4 might be just the ticket.
Faze13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 14:38
Will do, thanks !!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 15:36
There is an ACOG (3X) on the sample list, .308 reticle, that'd be the way to go.

www.samplelist.com

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Faze13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 12:55
Do you think it would make much of a difference to use an ACOG calibrated for .223 on the .308 ?
Reason being, i have 2 other .223's without optics and it would be sweet to swap out from time to time. The TA01NSN 4x32 Acog with hard irons on top looks very appealing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 13:02
As with any BDC, it ain't real till you put it on the gun and put rounds down range.  As it is a fixed power optic, it is fairly easy to work out drop for any round, just put down rounds at specified ranges and see where they fall on the reticle.

Sure, it is entirely doable.

BUT, you MUST shoot all distances on a known distance range to verify point of impact.
Faze13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 13:12
Alright,...sounds like a plan. It's a tough choice as there are so many options and once you drop about 8 bills on optics, there's no going back until you decide to sell it or not. I did like the Acog you suggested on SampleList. I had it in the shopping cart, but the flip covers seem to bother me a little. I'd rather have the iron sites on top for both options.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 13:33
The .308 reticle is sold, just checked the site.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - December/22/2010 at 09:10
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 15:21
if you really wanna spend, how about a 6x acog ;)
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 15:40
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Also, note that ACOGs allow for co-witnessing the irons via a channel in the base.

Those would have to be some crazy low irons.  Not your typical AR type irons.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 15:42
I had a 3x ACOG on my AR for a while.  it was a great scope, but the FOV is pretty small and in the end I wanted a variable.  So I sold it and bought a 1-4x Accupoint.  I like it a lot better. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Faze13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 21:31
It sold alright,...To me !!! LOL !! Decided to get it after all. I wanted to stick with the .308 calibration. Thanks for the advice. 3 days waiting now.
Faze13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 21:36
I think I may pick up a Nikon Monarch now for my Rock River M4 .223

Heard for the money they are pretty good. Not sure which power selection to get though. Think a 4-16x42 is too much? :) Or should I look into a Leupold 1-4 x20 or something close?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic