OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

5.7 FN Herstal pistol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.7 FN Herstal pistol
    Posted: December/19/2010 at 19:20
This cartridge has been getting my attention.  More I read, more I like.  Haven't had the fortune of shooting one yet. 

Any owners out there?  What are the opinions on it?  Anybody know if some of the other Gun mfg's are going to start producing pistols in this caliber soon?

FN seems to be the only one I can find.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2010 at 19:31
I had one of them for a little while... let a friend talk me into selling it to him, and wish I had kept it. super sweet shooting and very accurate. never had a jam or anything with it. I dont know if anyone else has plans to start making them...but I can tell you I plan to buy another one soon!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 06:36
Not the pistol but I shot he PS90 and liked the round.  
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 07:49
I fondled one not long ago at the local gun shop. I was amazed at how light the damn thing is and it's a full sized auto. I really didn't like it. Was like 21 oz. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 11:15
I was looking strongly at one and love the way they shoot, but was told that ammo might be tough to find in the future. If ammo was not a possible issue I would have one.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 13:12
Ammo was a concern a few years back, when FN almost stopped selling their pistol in the states.

The round is interesting, light recoil, can be quite accurate, it would make a nice plinker, I'd be reluctant to count on it as a fight-stopper.  Then again, you get lots o
 bullets, it is a "field of fire" weapon.

I am not entirely impressed with the build quality, especially given the price.  I almost bought one a few years back (when they were about to stop selling here) but decided against it for ammo scarcity reasons, that problem is now largely gone.

Be aware that there is plenty of ammo around, but that only FN sells it.  If FN decide to pull their support, no one else seems ready to fill that void - and reloading components aren't real common.

These have seen some success so they seem to be around for awhile.

It's not my first choice for anything, but seems like a cool toy.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 13:41
I read where Fioccio (spelling) is making the ammo but it's sold under FN here in the states.  Seems globally accepted and in use by a lot of countries, law enforcement etc... NATO sure pushed it and AS IT was a multi national joint venture to develop the load. 
Probably couldn't stop a zombie in it's (as KB would prefer) tracks BUT would be fun to shoot his fingers and toes with it.  That 1k sticker price is a bit steep.  Need some competition to enter the market.

Edited by scooter65 - December/20/2010 at 13:41
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 15:07

The ammo is similar to the old 22 hornet, there are still  quite a few of those pistols around made by Taurus and a couple of others.

Duce  Big Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic