OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger Ranch scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheperd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger Ranch scope
    Posted: December/03/2005 at 21:47

I'm needing in put for a Ruger Ranch scope.

I'm aware of the accuracy issues with this weapon.  But I think it fits my needs of a tough work gun to carry around on the tractor and 5 wheeler.  I'm in timber country and a 250 yd shot would be very long.Probably 150 yds. ave.

Targets on the farm would be crows, fox and an occassional coyote.

Need a tough scope as this is a working gun, not a bench rest weapon.  Also be used as a walking stalker.

It will be used when it is too hot, too cold to wet or too dark to work.

Thus---, I think what I'm looking for is a low mag. variable scope w/ illuminated reticle, maybe range estimater due to the varying target size, that will spend more of its life traveling than shooting for hours.

Also wide field of view would be nice when trying to find a walking target in the timber and brush.

Lastely, I don't want to spend more on the scope than the rifle.

I will thank you in advance. The site is very good, my needs are a little different than the average.

The Sheperd

Sheperd
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2005 at 06:18

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/941L9/schmidt_bender_1.5 -6x42_illuminated_30mm_riflescope.htm

If your going to get a lit reticle, get the best...IMHO. The best illuminated reticle is made by S&B.

On the other hand, have you considered an Aimpoint or Eotech red dot scope, Sir?

You mentioned needing a scope that will take a beating, shoot accurately out to 150 yards, and spend more time traveling than shooting. No magnifacation on these, but the more I use them, the more I love them. And 150 yard shots on coyotes or crows is no problem.

When I first read your post, I was thinking you would be a good candidate for a fixed power, NON-illuminated reticle scope.

Very tough, fairly inexpensive, etc. Several scope makers out there. Do you have a budget in mind?? That's the REAL question.......

Welcome aboard!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2005 at 19:46
Any scope of at least 6x would be about the max. the accuracy of the Rugers are capable of. Personally I would go with a 2x7 Vll Leo.
sheperd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheperd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2005 at 20:16

Warren,

Thanks --- I'll be looking in the $200-$250 range actual price not list. 

While trying to look  your suggestions I ran across some huge bench type scopes discounted at www.overstock.com

Sheperd

Sheperd
sheperd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheperd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2005 at 20:28

Dale,

That is in the range I've been thinking of. Checked on a Burris 1.75  -5  /  Simmons 2.8--10  /  Pentax 1.75 --  6.These are the right ball park.Have to compare other stuff like field of view, brightness for low light times, lite reticle ? hold over marks? ( maybe I don't need the last w/ a .223 at under 250 yds).

The Sheperd

Sheperd
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2005 at 12:58

2x7 bushnell 3200?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

esldude View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 13:58

Well for around $250 hard to beat the Weaver Grand Slam right here at swfa.

A 4.75x 40mm for $229 would be good. I don't much like variables in walking stalking rifles.

If you need variable the GS in 3-9x for $249 is another choice.  Though these don't have illumination.

A Bushnell 3200 1.5-4.5x 32 mm with firefly reticle for $218 is worth considering.

The 3200 3-9x 40mm with firefly is only a few dollars more.

sheperd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheperd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 19:12
Reg EmmertOnline
Total posts: 6
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post

Lots of good input. A few new ones to check since I was last on. Made a spread sheet w/ 10 criteria. Actually cost was not the highest priority. Find there are a great many options on finding a purchase price. I concentrated more on form and function. Would like your thoughts on some of my picks as to the fit on a Ruger Ranch and how tough they are from user experience. Looked at air rifle scope, shotgun scopes (compacts)and regular rifle scopes. I'm basically comitted to a variable, due to the varability in target size ( Magpies to coyotes). Other than the magpies, crows and ravens hassiling free roaming farm birds, the other problem critters are only around ( when I see them or their tracks) is low light conditions.
As of last weeks spread sheet, I will the top options. In no particular order.
Simmons Aetec 2.8x10
Simmons Prodiamond 1.5x5 ( shot gun)
Muller multi shot 2x7 ( shot gun)
Pentax Light Seeker 1.75 x6
Pentax White tail unlimited 2x5
Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5x5
Burris Fullfield II 1.75x5
Burris Signiture Select 1.5x6
Burris Signiture Safari 1.75x5
Leupold VX III 1.5x5
Leo VH 2x7

Reg Emmert