OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scopes Fogging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scopes Fogging
    Posted: December/18/2010 at 21:13
Every scope I look at...says "anti-fog" or some other marketing that means they are not supposed to fog up.

In defense of the scope, I was hunting a nasty day today...rain off and on...36 degrees with up and down to 39 and down to 34...but my Nikon Team Primos scope kept fogging up...there were more than a few times where if a deer had come out, I wouldn't have been able to shoot; scope was too fogged up.

The fogging was on the exterior lenses and not on the interior.

Anybody got any suggestions how to stop this? Other than the Elite Series with Rainguard?

I see that Nikon sells anti-fogging wipes...
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 21:37
Uhhh. Use Nikon anti-fogging wipes.Bucky

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2010 at 05:38
Also, there is a product called Parker's Perfect that works pretty well.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2010 at 08:46
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Uhhh. Use Nikon anti-fogging wipes.Bucky

haha! that was funny and I knew it was coming...

Have to get some...they've got to be cheaper than a new Bushnell Elite 4200...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2010 at 21:22
When scope manufacturers say their scopes are "fog free," this means on the inside.  They are purged with dry, inert gas to prevent condensation on the inside.  There is no way to totally prevent fogging on the outside lens surfaces, however.  This is simply the result of rapid temperature changes causing condensation.  It happens to all optics.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 10:19
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

When scope manufacturers say their scopes are "fog free," this means on the inside.  They are purged with dry, inert gas to prevent condensation on the inside.  There is no way to totally prevent fogging on the outside lens surfaces, however.  This is simply the result of rapid temperature changes causing condensation.  It happens to all optics.  
Absolutely true...there is no defying the laws of physics. A scientific explanation, along with the best route for avoiding external fogging is located at:

Terry Lamb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic