OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Rapid Z800 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Rapid Z800 question
    Posted: December/17/2010 at 23:05

I own a Zeiss 4-16x50 FL Victory it has a rapid Z800,what I would like to do is use on my Rem 5r in .308.I know the rapid Z1000 is made for the .308.I called Zeiss & they said the only other ret. I could change it too is a #60[not my cup of tea]I tried the numbers on the Zeiss site but that didn't help!

I shoot bench but only out to 400yds & I want to hunt with this scope!Any help would be appreciated....Thanks
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 09:19
As with any BDC ret it is set up for a generic load and bullet.

if you go to
http://exbalapplications.com/ZeissWeb/(S(gkhdfi3p4zhyjyzbuos5di55))/ZeissLoginForm.aspx

Then input your load data it will give you the yardage for your reference points. It also gives you a button to click for optimized power.A nice feature that will that will tell you what power your hashes hit closest to even yardage increments.

You just need to find where each hash hits with your load.

Using it i found it worked well for the 308.

Edited by 308 Sav - December/18/2010 at 09:32
Gerald Baker
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 11:29
Thanks for the info Gerald,I'll look it up as soon as I get some time.The wife ,daughters & grand-kids get crazy this time of the year!

P.S.
  Have a safe & happy holiday.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 11:38
The most important part is verify with your load on actual yardage at the range.

Verify.
Verify.
Verify.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 15:52
The Rapid Z reticles are increasingly accurate if you do your final zeroing at 400 yards (using the 400 crosshair of course) as Zeiss recommends.

It is also essential to make sure you have the scope on the exact power the calculator lists to match the drops.  I made my own witness marks on the scope to make it fast and reliable to do in the field.

When the reticle is tuned correctly, it is amazingly effective.
-Matt
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 16:00
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The Rapid Z reticles are increasingly accurate if you do your final zeroing at 400 yards (using the 400 crosshair of course) as Zeiss recommends.

It is also essential to make sure you have the scope on the exact power the calculator lists to match the drops.  I made my own witness marks on the scope to make it fast and reliable to do in the field.

When the reticle is tuned correctly, it is amazingly effective.
+1

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The most important part is verify with your load on actual yardage at the range.

Verify.
Verify.
Verify.

+2!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
ahjema View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahjema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 14:30
I was looking at the RAPID Z 800 Reticle and it looks very effective, great heads up on ticking the scope so you know where to set your range.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 20:46
One other suggestion I would make would be to know what the BDC marks represent at the lowest power of the scope because in low light you may need to dial power down to brighten the image and knowing which hash mark corresponds to 300 or 400 yds at lowest power could come in real handy.   With a second focal plane scope the reticle always appears to remain the same size however the field of view  appears to grow wider as you reduce power from high to low.  Just like field of view changes the same change occurs between the hash marks that are used for BDC so the question becomes what does the hash mark represent at lowest power or at brightest power (6x42 or 7x 50) or at the recommended power (use Zeiss website to determine) or at maximum power of the scope. Each will be different.  Obviously the lowest power and the highest power are easy spots to find where the recommended power may be a little tricky to duplicate repeatedly which makes the suggestion above to add marks very useful.   So we know that the hash marks of the BDC will alway mean something but the trick is to work with it enought to know what they will mean.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 22:04
Thanks to all for the help,have safe & healthy holidays.

Ernie.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic