OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

compact spotting scope for hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compact spotting scope for hunting
    Posted: December/17/2010 at 19:52
im just looking for a compact spotting scope for hunting. see distances out to 300 yards clearly and im a happy fellar. also something i can use at the range for up to 200 yard shooting. 

try to keep it $300 or under
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 19:59
$350 at most
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 12:01
The Burris compact spotters should work for your needs, and they are well under your budget.

http://swfa.com/Burris-12-24x50-Landmark-Compact-Spotter-P3646.aspx
-Matt
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 12:26
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-Elite-Spotting-Scopes-C448.aspx 
you might be able to shop this one ,for your price range.  had one in a fixed 22x which i liked alot. usually gets good reviews and are well liked.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 17:37
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-Elite-Spotting-Scopes-C448.aspx 
you might be able to shop this one ,for your price range.  had one in a fixed 22x which i liked alot. usually gets good reviews and are well liked.

You're one lucky guy if you can find a 22x (which is only offered as an option with the 20-60x80) Elite for under $350.   The basic scope itself costs almost $770 and the optional 22x eyepiece is additional $125.

The $400 15-45x60 Elite is not nearly the same quality of scope, though it's pretty good in its own right.  No 22x eyepiece option though.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 17:41
Originally posted by outlawskinnyd outlawskinnyd wrote:

im just looking for a compact spotting scope for hunting. see distances out to 300 yards clearly and im a happy fellar. also something i can use at the range for up to 200 yard shooting. 

try to keep it $300 or under

Originally posted by outlawskinnyd outlawskinnyd wrote:

$350 at most

Make one more little jump to $400 and you can get a 15-30x50 Leupold Golden Ring.  It's a very nice spotting scope.

The 10-20X40 Leupold Golden Ring is within your $350 budget, but it may be a bit small for your uses.  I had one once and I really liked it.  It was great for backpacking.  I only got rid of it because Leupold came out with the slightly larger 50mm model I mentioned first and I wanted the upgrade.
JagerDog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagerDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 00:10
I've been curious about a couple of these:

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-Legend-Ultra-HD-Spotting-Scopes-C451.aspx
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 10:33
guess i should have spelled it out, bushnell elite 15-45x60 $384.95 and you could shop this one.IMO  SWFA has a great 110% price guarantee. i had this scope in a 22x60 fixed and liked it alot imo
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 10:51

guess i should have spelled it out, bushnell elite 15-45x60 $384.95...  i had this scope in a 22x60 fixed and liked it alot imo

Not trying to be argumentative here but, I'm intrigued by this scope you owned.  The 60mm Elite (originally sold under the Bausch and Lomb badge) has always been marketed with a non-removable/non-changeable 15-45x eyepiece. I was unaware there was ever a fixed magnification version.  Are you sure you didn't own a B&L Premier?  That was an earlier scope that was essentially a 60mm version of the 80mm Elite. It had interchangeable eyepieces and there was a 22x fixed-mag option.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 12:23
yes it was a B&L 22x60 elite,always read bushnell was same scope and i believe the 22x fixed was put to rest before name change. by the way would like to thank you on your review of the bushnell 20-60x80 elite.  it help me in choosing the bushnell , i like it alot.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 12:27
Yep lucznik, another one of those goodies my brother sells at a great price. I had used that scope before and it was real nice.
The 20-60x80 is outstanding, though. We used that up on Lake Superior and five moons and the eye on Jupiter were clearly visible.
Doug
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 14:24

yes it was a B&L 22x60 elite,always read bushnell was same scope and i believe the 22x fixed was put to rest before name change. by the way would like to thank you on your review of the bushnell 20-60x80 elite.  it help me in choosing the bushnell , i like it alot.

Well, that's cool.  You know what they say; learn something everyday.  I would love to have been able to try out a 22x60 Elite.   Do you know if they were phase-correction coated?

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Yep lucznik, another one of those goodies my brother sells at a great price. I had used that scope before and it was real nice.
The 20-60x80 is outstanding, though. We used that up on Lake Superior and five moons and the eye on Jupiter were clearly visible.
Your brother sells those does he?  Very interesting.

Edited by lucznik - December/22/2010 at 14:24
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 18:49
He just uses things and parts with them. I have been benefited a few times. Nothing like commercial sales, though, just my brother selling to friends and family. He usually contacts me firstCool
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic