OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris or Vortex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxschreck88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris or Vortex
    Posted: December/17/2010 at 19:51

I need a new scope for my AR, I can't decide between the Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 or the Vortex 2-7x32, both are priced very well withe Vortex being alot less but the Burris seems a bit sturdier, what should I do?

If you can smell em , you need a longer barrel.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 20:02
Depend on how you use your AR if you are really hard on it I'd go Vortex due to their warranty. I have a 2-7 Vortex viper BDC that I like a lot on a .243 but it is a tough choice. It might be a harder choice for me if we were comparing a slightly higher power with illumination like this one as I really like an illuminated reticle and 3-12 is a pretty nice power range :
Burris 3-12x50 Euro Diamond 30mm Rifle Scope Burris 3-12x50 Euro Diamond 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200915
  • Matte
  • German 3P#4 LRS
  • 30mm
  • Hunter Knobs
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • Normally $729.95
$349.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 21:56
Originally posted by maxschreck88 maxschreck88 wrote:

I need a new scope for my AR, I can't decide between the Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 or the Vortex 2-7x32, both are priced very well withe Vortex being alot less but the Burris seems a bit sturdier, what should I do?

i can promise you that the vortex in question can handle anything your ar will throw at it. ive had mine on a .375 H&H, no trouble there.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
maxschreck88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxschreck88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 22:58

Is there any way to range or compensate with that German 3p#4 lighted reticle on the Burris, say out to 500 yards ?

If you can smell em , you need a longer barrel.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 07:38
Originally posted by maxschreck88 maxschreck88 wrote:

Is there any way to range or compensate with that German 3p#4 lighted reticle on the Burris, say out to 500 yards ?

negative
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 12:51
I really, really like the little viper tweener, so much so that I bought 3 of them.

But, imho, the Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 is clearly superior in optics, and also better in mechanicals when I compare them side by side at the range.  I don't find the comparison really close. I would guess that most eyes would see a significant difference.

I still like the form factor of the Viper better for most of my brush rifles. But I am thinking of putting the Burris on a dangerous game rifle, where I feel its weight and bulk are not an issue. I think it is a natural for this purpose.

As a caveat, the Burris warranty and CS are good, but they typically don't replace a scope with accidental damage, while Vortex, in general, will.
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 08:15
Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

I really, really like the little viper tweener, so much so that I bought 3 of them.

But, imho, the Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 is clearly superior in optics, and also better in mechanicals when I compare them side by side at the range.  I don't find the comparison really close. I would guess that most eyes would see a significant difference.

I still like the form factor of the Viper better for most of my brush rifles. But I am thinking of putting the Burris on a dangerous game rifle, where I feel its weight and bulk are not an issue. I think it is a natural for this purpose.

As a caveat, the Burris warranty and CS are good, but they typically don't replace a scope with accidental damage, while Vortex  WILL.

Fixed it
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 15:30
i have both.  it's not a comparison of equals.  the burris is far superior in glass, as in 'far'.  the viper has edge distortion albiet minor and at $170 is a grrrreat buy.  the solidity of the burris appears much better.  for my AR 6.5 grendel the burris 1.5-6 is  deserving of this  scope.  for my 6.5x55 swede that is seldom shot the viper is suited.  i also have a cz 550 in win 270 with a manlicher stock and 20" short barrel, think MOUNTAIN RIFLE, and the viper would be perfect for it, but it has a scope.  btw;  unless my scope has a BDC reticle use MPBR at 250 yards and you'll be a happy hunter.
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 17:58
If you use the SWFA 2009 Scope Scale as a reference point, then the Vortex Viper might be the better buy.  The Viper is a higher rated scope than the Burris Euro Diamond and it costs quite a bit less.  The Euro Diamond was rated on par with the Weaver Grand Slam, which is reportedly the same glass as the Nitrex TR One.  I do not have a Euro Diamond so I cannot speak from experience.

Here is the scope scale in case you're interested: 

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-scope-scale-discussion-thread-2009_topic16515_page1.html?KW=2009+scope+scale
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 19:53
Leatherwood CMR 1x4. I own two VVs 2x7 but for the AR I'd chose the CMR hands down. Have no experience with the Burris.
gcp
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 02:11
Originally posted by cruft cruft wrote:

i have both.  it's not a comparison of equals.  the burris is far superior in glass, as in 'far'.  the viper has edge distortion albiet minor and at $170 is a grrrreat buy.  the solidity of the burris appears much better.  for my AR 6.5 grendel the burris 1.5-6 is  deserving of this  scope.  for my 6.5x55 swede that is seldom shot the viper is suited.  i also have a cz 550 in win 270 with a manlicher stock and 20" short barrel, think MOUNTAIN RIFLE, and the viper would be perfect for it, but it has a scope.  btw;  unless my scope has a BDC reticle use MPBR at 250 yards and you'll be a happy hunter.
Might be something wrong with my eyes,... but try as I might, I cant see any edge distortion in my viper..
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 05:04
that edge distortion is driving me nuts.  took it out again to check if i could still see it.  well it's there and like a sore tooth.  will call vortex and ask if it just an artifact due to the low cost.  I'm an optometrist so maybe over sensitive to ocular shortcomings.  if remember will get back here with their answer.Loco
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 07:34
 GOOD idea,cruft.  I've got 2 and see no distortion.  PLEEZE remember to update us!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 14:59

that edge distortion is driving me nuts.  took it out again to check if i could still see it.  well it's there and like a sore tooth.  will call vortex and ask if it just an artifact due to the low cost.  I'm an optometrist so maybe over sensitive to ocular shortcomings.  if remember will get back here with their answer.Loco

Yes, call us so we can look at it. I do have one question and please dont take this the wrong way, Are you comparing it to spotting scopes or even bino's?

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 18:32
no, just other scopes.  going to try some more before pressing the red button.  paul sent an email.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:44
I see a little distortion at the very edge of the field on 2X on  my Viper.  It disappears at 3x as the field narrows.
-Matt
J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2010 at 00:03
I'm looking HARD at both of these scopes. Viper looks HARD to beat at closeout pricing! 
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2010 at 05:07

Paul said send it back.  good CS.  Will when can get to post office.  Probably my problem as always using mid  upper level scopes and probably too sensitive. Loco

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2010 at 08:03

Hey,it won't hurt to have it checked out.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 07:59

Paul said send it back.  good CS.  Will when can get to post office.  Probably my problem as always using mid  upper level scopes and probably too sensitive. Loco

Cruft,
     I sent this to you in a pm also, but just in case I figured I would post it here also.   I am guessing that since you said, "Paul said send it back" that you are in Canada. It would be much quicker for you to send it directly to us. Let me know if you have any questions.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic