OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30-30 Loads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 18:04
The 30-30 seems to like relatively fast powders: 3031,748,H335,H322 I have shot a lot of different bullets in the 30-30 from cast to 190 gr jacketed. I always liked the speer 150 gr flat-nose. I will also tell you that I had some luck with the 110 and 125 gr pointed pullets for varmints and deer respectively, just remember to put one in the chamber and only one in the magazine (Hence a 2 shot limit) and keep your OAL in spec. Also don't try and hot up your loads as the 30-30 case is thinner than say a 30-06 or most high intensity cases. I use light loads of unique for cast bullets. Good cheap shooting.

Edited by powderburn - December/18/2010 at 21:12
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2010 at 10:30
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Why not the lever evolution bullets?  They are sweet in my 45-70.  THey changed my POI by 8 inches at 100 yards vs flat point.  
Ditto with my 30-30, though with the factory loads. Hornady is now offering the LeverEvolution powder along with the bullets, though I haven't been able to procure any of the powder yet. The difference in performance is astounding, and the performance on whitetails has been phenomenal. Can't wait to get some of this powder and reload these, it truly does transform the old 30-30.
Terry Lamb
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 07:25
 +1 on that combo,TL.  I talked to a friend Sat night who uses those bullets in his .30-30,.35 Rem,and .45-70.  He said that powder is now not due out until 011 sometime.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 07:40
i'm looking forward to finding a decent load for it.  Hoping factory stuff will do for now but we will see.
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 00:00
In my Marlin 336, pre-safety, microgroove, 2.5x Bushnell Banner, I use Win. 748, Win cases, Win primer. I'm running at the top end of things as it is a hunting load. I have worked the load up w/ 170 Nos. Part. & Speer 'Hot Core'. I would say the Speer has a bit of an edge in accuracy. Accuracy is quite fine w/ either pill. In the close cover I hunt in, this load is more than adequate to the occasion.
Some years ago I worked up a load w/ some 144 grn. M80 types usind IMR3031. Max loads seemed a little intense. But I was looking for a practice load anyway. My notes are upstairs, but IIRCC, 28 or 29 grns. shot very very good. Of course these rounds were single loaded.
As I have a stock of Rem. 150 CoreLokt & BLc powder, I use that for a practice and have that going close to POA w/ the 170 load.
My Marlin shoots pretty good, due in great part to a trigger job done by an old time gunsmith some years ago.
If I need to reach out, I call on other rifles.

HM

Pathfinder 1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 15:11
First: get your self a reloading manual .... You might try Sirerra Bullets 5th edition as it offers comprehensive loading data. An alternative is to check out the Inet and browse Nosler or Hornaday , they will also list recommended powders with bullets but the info is limited. 
Second: Given the nature of what you are seeking, please dont trust and loading data you get from any one individual on the Internet. This is not to say there is someting sisister, but given your apparent inexperience with the 30-30 round, you owe it to yourself to do the research .
Third: Some powders will work better than others. The Sirerra Bullet Reloading Manual will list two recommendations for each hunting bullet, (and only one for match grade bullets). One recommendation is for HUNTING ; the second is for ACCURACY. In some loads this may even be two different powders. That said, these statements alone should motivate you to should research this yourself.  Good luck and stay safe !
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 22:17
If you can find it, Norma N-201 is probably the best powder ever made for the .30-30. It's close in burn rate to IMR 3031, which is pretty good, too. Try that with a Sierra flat- nose hollow point 125 gr. and you'll have a whopper stopper at over 2600fps.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 22:31
How is this going for you SVT???

I know a guy who has used the same 40 or 50 cases over the last 30+ years...
No one
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2011 at 07:38
I haven't loaded a one yet.  My reloading equipment has been boxed up fro the last few months, Moved down to the coast and haven't had a chance to bring it all back out yet.  Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be set back up.  I'm running low on everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic