OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope around $400 range

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best scope around $400 range
    Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:16
HI evrybody new here first post. I have been looking at a bunch of reviews on here, I am going to put a scope on a 300 rum. I am lookin at vortex viper 6.5-20x44 30mm tube side focus sightron bigsky bushnell 4200  minox. Is there an advantage of the 30mm tube versus 1"
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:21
The only advantages are a more durable tube(depending how it is constructed) and more overall adjustment range.

Scott

FYI- I would go with the Viper :)
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:28
I would get a 30mm for sure on a larger caliber like that.  So that rules out the Sightron Big SKy.  Also the 6-24x 4200 only has 50 MOA of elevation where the Viper has around 70ish. 

I think the Viper is the best choice.

I would get the 50mm over the 44mm though.  That extra size will give you a little more exit pupil which will give you a better image at the higher powers and won't be quite as picky with eye placement at those higher powers. 

I have the Viper 6.5-20x50mm, and above 16x it is very picky about eye placement so the 44 would even be worse. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mosdawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:36

Thanks for the replys I ll check that 50 out.What size mounts can u use with the 50 will med work or do u have to go to high.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:37
On my 223 WSSM  with heavy barrel I have a EGW mount and super low TPS rings and still have room.  Granted EGW bases are taller than most, but it at least gives you an idea.

Edited by supertool73 - December/16/2010 at 09:38
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:39
Since you are putting it on a 300rum I would go with the 50mm as it has a little more eye relief. Any rings that are .92 or higher from top of base to scope centerline are high enough.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:42
Originally posted by Scott_at_Vortex Scott_at_Vortex wrote:

Since you are putting it on a 300rum I would go with the 50mm as it has a little more eye relief. Any rings that are .92 or higher from top of base to scope centerline are high enough.

Scott

Eww, I did not even think of that.  3.3 inches of eye relief is not very much especially on a 300 rum.  That might pose a big problem.  The 4200 only has 3.5 so not much improvement there.  It will somewhat depend upon your shooting position and technique but that is getting pretty short IMO. 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:51
We had one a 50bmg for a few years and it never kissed anyone, but a real light 300rum with out a break could be dangerous with any scope, does your have a break?

Scott

Edited by Scott_at_Vortex - December/16/2010 at 10:03
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
mosdawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 09:57
no it s a sendero sf  its not real light it has about a 26" fluted  barrel
mosdawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 10:01
Hey scott im also thinking about getting a diamondback for my slug gun marlin 512 slugmaster whats the  eye relief like on it.
mosdawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 10:06
Would it be better to get the bdc or v plex with a custom turret.What range does the custom turrets go out to.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 10:08
Originally posted by mosdawg mosdawg wrote:

Hey scott im also thinking about getting a diamondback for my slug gun marlin 512 slugmaster whats the  eye relief like on it.
  There is plenty, but you can find the 2-7 Vipers right now for the same price as a diamondback, I would go with the Viper just for piece of mind if you are going to be running those hard hitting 200fps 300gr sabots it is a more durable scope. There is no hidden message there its just my opinion that if you can get a more durable scope(Viper) for the same price or even less, its probably not a bad idea.

Scott

Edited by Scott_at_Vortex - December/16/2010 at 10:56
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 10:16
I like the vortex scopes they have a good waranty.  What is the right scope for your hunting needs depends on how you hunt if you stalk game and have to shoot quickly 6x at the low end may be more than you want but if you hunt frome a stand it would be just fine. One suggestion though a balistic reticle on a high max power scope is only true at the highest power of the scope. I might select the mil dot reticle because you can use that for known hold over by running a balistic chart with drop in mils plus you can use the mil dots for rangfinding of known size targets.
If you can tollerate a fixed power scope the new fixed power 6x42 Super Sniper is a really tough scope and you can dial in correction with the target tactical knobs. Depending on price range the Sale priced Vortex Viper 2-7 BDC is also a fine choice for a hunting gun cause the max power 7 still gives a fairly bright veiw in low light high power scopes look darker in low light than lower power scopes that have the same size objective. With that 2-7 on 7x your BDC will be true and useable in low light.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 12:36
Originally posted by Scott_at_Vortex Scott_at_Vortex wrote:

Originally posted by mosdawg mosdawg wrote:

There is plenty, but you can find the 2-7 Vipers right now for the same price as a diamondback, I would go with the Viper just for piece of mind if you are going to be running those hard hitting 200fps 300gr sabots it is a more durable scope. There is no hidden message there its just my opinion that if you can get a more durable scope(Viper) for the same price or even less, its probably not a bad idea.

Scott

Hey Scott,
What are the main differences in the Diamondback assembly vs Viper that make it more durable?
I know they don't have the ED glass of the Vipers, and the turrets are more of a Nikon Buckmaster style than the target turrets of the Viper (which I love,BTW!),but I'm not sure of the other differences. Is it reticle attachment or how the lenses are assembled in the tube?
thanks!

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 13:33
Monster eye relief on a scope for a 300 rum Sendero will not be essential with good shooting form.  The weight of my 300 rum Sendero tames down the recoil to a manageable level, and without a brake.

I think the viper is a good match for that rifle.  I have a Mark 4 6.5-20X50 on mine, and like it a lot, but I am considering swapping out to a 4-16X50 Viper PST when they are available.
-Matt
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 13:37
Til you shoot up hill that one time.  Wink

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 14:31
Ouch
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 15:25
Laugh Above
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 17:20
im sure you guys know this but its impossible to tell the difference in light transmission between a 40mm lens and a 50mm lens. your eyes cant tell the difference, noones can. 

on paper, yeah a 50mm lens will give you more light transmission, eventhough a scope doesnt really even transmitt light, but the human eye cant tell the difference. are you shooting further than 400 yards? because 8x (even 6x) is great for 400 yards. and you can get a great scope thats 3-9 even 3-10 for less then the price of a scope that 6-20. 

again this is just my opinion.

if 400 is your price cap id say zeiss, minox, leupold all are great great choices. i also love the bushnell elite
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 17:34
Who said anything about light transmission?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic