OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell night vision monoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell night vision monoculars
    Posted: December/15/2010 at 10:34

How good are these?  Are there any better in the same price range?  Here is my situation.  I am going pig hunting down in GA where you can legally hunt pigs at night with a spot light.  I am wanting to be able to use the night vision to spot the hogs in the fields and then stalk up close enough to hit them with the light and then shoot.  I am not wanting the night vision to use for shooting, just spotting.  I just need to be able to spot heat sources out in the middle of agricultural fields.  I don't need detailed outlines of the pigs, just heat source blobs is fine.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 10:35
If all your after is blobs they might work
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 10:35
an ND3 would be better IMO
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 11:06
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 11:40
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

an ND3 would be better IMO
Excellent
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 12:08
The larger ND5 might work good as well.  With the cheaper NV stuff you really don't get much.  I've seen some that a flashlight with green film over it would have been better.  If you think you'll get into it very much maybe look at the Pulsar 550 digital night/day scope or the Elcan digihunter.  both would be advantageous to you if you plan to do much night hog hunting.

Pulsar Digisight N550 Riflescope
Pulsar Digisight N550 Riflescope
Stock # - PL76311
  • Matte
  • Multiple Selectable Reticles (Customizable Reticles)
  • Digital
  • Night Vision
$1,399.95 
Elcan DigitalHunter Day/Night Riflescope
Elcan DigitalHunter Day/Night Riflescope
Stock # - ELDHDN
  • Matte
  • Multiple Selectable Reticles (Customizable Reticles)
  • Digital
  • Electronic Ballistics Compsensation
  • Automatic Video Capture
  • Low Light Imagery (Black & White)
  • Long Eye Relief
$1,379.95 

Rancid may still have a ligthly used Pulsar for sale.  http://opticstalk.com/for-sale-pulsar-n550-digisight_topic26450.html
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 13:02
Unfortunately, I don have the money for a real NV scope.  I did a little research on the ND3 and I have a few concerns.  Allot of people have complained about the fact it does not work wellif at all  in temps under 50 degrees.  Someone said they called Laser Genetics and told them about it.  Laser Genetics said they were aware of the problem and suggested wrapping a hand warmer around it.  My other concern is that I would be mounting it to a scope with a 30mm tube which would require me to buy a 30mm mount seperately.  Does SWFA carry those?
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 13:28
OK, I found they have a sub-zero version and a 30 mm scope mountinng kit which swfa carries both of them.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 14:34
I didn't use mine much in cold temps but I did throw mine in the freezer just for **** and giggles and after 5 hours I pulled it out and popped a warm battery in and it worked fine.
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 16:32
OK, I just can't justify $300 for the nd3 and the 30mm bracket for something I may just do one time.  What about a tactical flashlight like a CREE with around 300 lumens and a green filter?  If I can get a descent one for $100, I could justify buying a flashlight that I can use for other things beside hunting.  Any suggestions for a good tactical flashlight in my price range?
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 21:53
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 10:34
Since we're on the topic of Night Vision...

Could someone please explain the relative differences between NV optics of Generations I-III?  What will I see with one that I won't see with the other?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic