OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

260 reloaders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 260 reloaders
    Posted: December/15/2010 at 09:55
Have a 260 on the way, will buy a few boxes to break in and test accuracy, then start reloading my own stuff.

Any favorite recipes?

Any components known not to be worth wasting time on?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 15:50
What did you buy Jeff?

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 16:06
AR10(T) upper in .260.

Should be fun.

I know 2011 should be a good year for the 260 (it is rumored Lapua will announce at SHOT that they are launching 260 brass in 2011.)  With good reloading components out there already, the only thing missing at the moment is good (260) brass.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 16:19
Should be a heck of a tack driver RC.  I have been debating on a bolt 260.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 16:25
260s sound sweet.  Same drop as a 300 WM with 190 grain bullets but without the recoil.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 18:15
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

AR10(T) upper in .260.
 the only thing missing at the moment is good (260) brass.
That's the pi$$er about that cartridge.  The same goes for another good cartridge, the 6mm Remington.  For the 260, I've heard the only folks that make it is Remington.

Jim
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 19:15
Remington brass in the 260 is a really really really good thing.  Not 1 single thing wrong with it.
RL-22 and heavy bullets kicks butt at 1K yards.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 19:55
Congratulations on the new upper I hope it exceeds your expectations.  .260 Rem is one of those cartridges that really should be more popular.  The .243 has been quite popular and the 7mm08 has started being more popular in the last couple years but the 6.5mm bullets seem to do really well at long range and have just enough left to do some good when they get there.
Sounds FUN Excellent

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 20:47
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

Remington brass in the 260 is a really really really good thing.  Not 1 single thing wrong with it.
Nothing the matter with Remington brass as long as one is willing to spend the time to prep the cases for optimum accuracy. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 07:53
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

y concern regarding brass stems from many reports that Remington brass is often out of spec (too long or short, flash holes not centered) and Norma brass being very soft and sometimes out of spec.  I see that many are resizing various cases to work, 243 Lapua seems to be near the top of that list.

All this is second-hand at best, I'll play around with it and see what works best.  As i said, this is an AR, so I am not expecting 1/4MOA precision from this gun, I'll be happy with 3/4MOA.

Thanks for the info, will have results up soon.

Dammit, now I need a new scope!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 08:05
Nother henny?Wink
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 19:09
RC,
I have personal experience with the 260 rem cartridge as well as the 260 rem bras.
Only thing I ever did to the brass was FL size the case when new, and 1 time prep the flash hole by deburring.
Best group of any rifle I've ever owned was shot with rem brass in the 260 and at 1k yards in comps the bullets were hard pressed to be anywhere but the X ring.

Over about 40-42 years of this I've found that most brands of brass work Ok, some rifles have a preference, but min case work is all that's really required.  Common sense in this area will go much farther than gadgetry.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 20:33
I like the 140 grain bullets in my .260 the best. I favor the 140 SBT from Sierra. They hold up well.
I have always kept a boat load of H4831 around, along with 4350 and 4064. The 4831 might surprise you, though. I would never use it in my .308. This is for hunting and your needs might be different RC, especially in a gas gun. I have used he 4831 in both an M1 Garand and a BAR. So, it might be a bit slow but I didn't have problems there either.
I also like the Remy brass, as Mike already mentioned.

Doug
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 20:44
I know you hunt porkers and I think your stick will be nice for the task. I think the heavier bullets are the ticket for penetration. I hammered this buck in the woods off Lake Superior two seasons ago. The shot broke the left front shoulder and exited behind the ribs on the right side. That round was a 140 grain Core-Lokt

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 20:46
thank god im not the only one here who isnt affraid to kill a dink. luv ya doug!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 20:50
I just couldn't pass on an easy shot from my new .260 Remy M7, care of my bro, coyote95.

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 20:52
thats pretty good for factory ammo, you could easily kill a yote or a deer or a hog @300 with that gun
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 22:08
Sako and Sako Tikka both make a 6.5x55 Swede instead of the 260... Ive had that Swede Rifle in the back of my mind for a long time.. Now reaqding this thread, Im thinking the 260 would be just as good , maybe better for long range......

By the way Boots, Ive killed a bunch of Bucks in my 54 years and most of them have been DINKS,,,Roll on Floor Laughing

One excuse is they are more tasty than an real old rank Buck that can barely see ya..Thats all it is though, an excuse... I just have no patience, I was born to pull that trigger..Smoking
I wish I had Marks Buck in my cross hairs right now .. Bucky

Im looking forward to seeing your AR in 260 Jeff, You have some real nice rigs.....I wish I had your knowledge..........
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 22:18
There are some pretty good articles out there comparing the 6.5x55 to the 260 Remington.  They're pretty darn close.  I've thought about adding a 260 caliber to my target line up.  Between the 6mm & 6.5mm they're good tack-drivers.

mpk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 00:42
I have a sako 85 .260 that is my go-to deer rifle. Nosler brass, Barnes 120 gr ttsx, 45 gr H4350, thats all. 

mpk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic