OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 93 17HMR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 93 17HMR
    Posted: December/15/2010 at 08:23
Just getting around to posting this.  Picked this up last week from Dicks Sporting Goods.  They had a heck of a good deal on them.  Put a Redfield 3-9x40 on there just to test it out and man do I like this little rimfire.  at 50yds with the 20gr gamepoints from winchester i had 10 shots in a hole about the size of a dime.  It was fun.  I also pegged a Crow at over 140+yds with it.  One moment there was a crow anoying me and eating my pecans and the next there was an explosion of black feathers.  It was coolBucky.   I am gonna put a 3-9 SS on this thing and I have a new stock ordered from Boyds' as well.  I'll get some pictures up of the transformation over x-mas. 
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 08:30
.17 .17 .17 Excellent

There is something extremely satisfying about shooting a crow.  They are tough to get in close on with a shotgun.  Fun as heck to go to a peanut farm and blast away at them. 

Edited by scooter65 - December/15/2010 at 08:32
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 08:42

Yessir! I love mine. Am pretty deadly with it out to 300 yards. Get to 400 though, and the SD wind takes over. Hits become about 50%, but it sure is fun!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 08:52

I am gonna try stretching it as far as I can once I get it all changed over.

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 09:31
Wind raises hell with those 17 gr. bullets. according to my notes, the last time I tried 400 yards, I dialed in 19 moa of windage

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 09:35
I can imagine.  Mine seemed to group the 20gr better than the 17gr but that was only at 50yds when i was messing around.  Then again I doubt 3gr's will change much either
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 22:04
The speed cuts the effect of the wind. You may be surprised if the lighter bullets may do better in wind out to 100 yds. Hornady has a new 15.5 Gr that is said to be really fast.  Yippee
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 22:36
Sounds like fun G!Bucky

Im glad I finally got to see your Lightening Ford sitting there in the background too!.. I knew you had one somewhere, Im glad I finally got to see it. LOL!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 06:35
This lightning Jules?Wink
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 08:21
Looks just about as fast as my Chevy........Devil

By the way the only list the velocity of the 15.5gr. bullets at 2525. I'v chronoed my 17gr. coming out almost 2600, and have found them for $9.17 a box.

Edited by trigger29 - December/17/2010 at 08:29

The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 06:17
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Picked this up last week from Dicks Sporting Goods.

A friend from work brought back a Dicks catalog when he came back from holidays...I can't believe how cheap your guns are over there!!!

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I have a new stock ordered from Boyds' as well.

Just make sure you get the right stock! I read somewhere that the 93 and 17 series stocks are different to the Mark II series stocks even though the receivers are the same. Supposedly the stocks are inletted differently in the magazine area. Can you confirm/refute that one?

John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 07:44

All i can tell you is they have stocks for a 93 and stocks for a MKII so i assume they are different

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 08:07
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Sounds like fun G!Bucky

Im glad I finally got to see your Lightening Ford sitting there in the background too!.. I knew you had one somewhere, Im glad I finally got to see it. LOL!

Not much to see there Jules...it is a Ford ya know! WinkBig Grin
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 08:07
BTW, that is a nice little rifle you got there G. Good plinking gun. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 06:42

What yall think of the change?
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 07:04
I like the new stock better than the old.Excellent
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 07:19
Yeah i just gotta get some decent rings and she'll be good to go. 
jsnspck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsnspck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 14:07
Just bought a savage 93R17 TR, wondering what rings you were going to use.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2011 at 14:13
Burris. I bought 30mm vs 1"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic