OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Refurbished Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refurbished Monarch
    Posted: December/14/2010 at 09:08
I wanted to get some thoughts on the refurbished Monarchs on the sample list. I noticed they only have a 90 day warranty but that really doesn't bother me as long as they are put back together right and the quality is still there. Would I be able to tell a difference in a refurbished Monarch and a gently used one? Is there any difference in the waterproofing or glass coating, and are the adjustments as reliable as new.
Thanks for your help.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 09:50
Because of a 90-day warranty, I'd be hard pressed to get a refurbed Nikon.  I've only ever had one scope to fail and it was well past the 90 days.  They're probably just as good as a new one but a scope being a mechanical device and all, can fail.

HTH,

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 17:43
the only reason I haven't purchased a refurbed nikon off the SL is because basically Nikon can say your SOL after 90 days
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 17:48
If Nikon doesn't have any more faith in their own refurbish jobs than 90 days, why should I? There usually isn't that much of a price difference between Sample List and new anyway, so I would never give up the full warranty to save a few dollars on a scope that has already had something wrong with it once.

Leupold, Sightron and probably others offer full warranty on Sample List optics. That answers the question for me.
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 18:19
I bought a 6x42 at regular price in mid 2007 then bought 4 more 6x42's later when they hit the SL in December.  Never had an issue with the three i kept (1 reg-2 refurb).  The other two went to my brother and no problems either that I know of.  I am surprised about the warranty though.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 23:18
Originally posted by 02Silver 02Silver wrote:

I bought a 6x42 at regular price in mid 2007 then bought 4 more 6x42's later when they hit the SL in December.  Never had an issue with the three i kept (1 reg-2 refurb).  The other two went to my brother and no problems either that I know of.  I am surprised about the warranty though.
For your sake I hope none of them do becase if they should (unless Nikon changes their policy) you're stuck with the repair bill or a new scope. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 23:33
I have a Monarch UCC from the sample list 3 years ago. It has sat on 3 rifles without any problems. I just can't decide what its best suited on. One was a 300 win mag while doing a load workup. about 50 rounds without any issues.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 09:02

For your sake I hope none of them do because if they should (unless Nikon changes their policy) you're stuck with the repair bill or a new scope. 

Me too.  They are fixed so maybe that will be less to break.  A lot of performance for the money though.  If I were doing it today with what is available I would buy Vortex probably on that price point.

Edited by 02Silver - December/15/2010 at 09:05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic