OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Compressed Varget loads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compressed Varget loads
    Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:06
Does anyone here actually use the listed loads that are compressed? If so have you had any trouble out of them?
Gerald Baker
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:21
I have used a few compressed varget loads in 223 with no issues
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 19:35
ive used them in my .375H&H and both of us are still here. course i only shot them in the cold of winter too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 20:14
most target loads for 308 in the 168 thru 190 range are compressed. no problems, used byalot shooters
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 20:41
At present I use a separate crimp die. Would I need to adjust my seating die to do the crimp to keep the bullet from moving forward?
Gerald Baker
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 20:52
what are you shooting the varget out of??? is it for your savage??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 20:59
Yes. The Savage .308. It is a bolt gun so I have room. I just do not know if the compressed powder will make the bullet creep before I get to the crimp die. I do prefer the crimp done on the separate die. It is easier for me to control the crimp.
Gerald Baker
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 21:01
i dont crimp anything unless its semi auto. i dont even crimp my .375H&H. i dont think crimping will bother anything, and depending on you seating depth it may not have any bearing on anything at all.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 21:08
I used to not crimp and started to check on some things. My groups actually got tighter. Now that is probably attributed to increased pressure, which could be achieved by a little more powder or closser to the lands. Or I just started shooting better.

I was just curious about the compressed load if crimping was more important. With a compressed load, would it make actual bullet seating depth more consistent by the time it is fired and the remaining rounds under recoil in the blind mag. I never noticed consistency issues in my un-crimped that were not compressed. 

Edited by 308 Sav - December/13/2010 at 21:09
Gerald Baker
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 21:54
Out of curiosity, are you always loading pretty much at the same time after resizing, e.g. an hour later or two days later? Some shooters have experienced inconsistency among loads that were loaded after different wait times.

I don't crimp any of my .308 bolt loads and load Varget to 45.5 grains, which is pretty close to a compressed load in Lapua brass and using an OAL of 2.81. I haven't had any rounds ever change seating depth in the magazine or otherwise. You might find you get more consistent results with a bushing or collet die since you're not pulling a resizing ball back through the neck (at least if you substitute the smaller decaping pin retainer). To an extent, bushing dies also allow for fine-tuning neck tension based on the size of the bushing you select. Combined with a high quality seater, they make for pretty good results.
Reaction time is a factor...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 09:28

compressed loads show up more in reloading military surplus brass like LC etc. ,where the internal volume  is less than commercial brass. Also the case neck tension is usually higher, unless adjusted by a reloading trick or two. Compressed loads will "settle" just as they do when using a drop tube, when left over time, also settle by placing a finger of the top and gently tapping the corner of the rim on a loading bench. If your not chronographing your load for ES, SD you really have no way of knowing what the inconsistency is. When ignition occurs the bullet is lodged into the lands and for a brief instance comes to a stop, this does almost the same thing as a crimp. If you crimping the event will happen twice. The only caliber/cartridge that I've worked with that outright needed a crimp was the 454 socom. Another way to look at-- if they aren't creeping when you shooting they certainly are not going to move before crimping.

I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 10:30
Mine are compressed also. No problems at all.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 17:42
Thanks guys. Looks like I just need to not worry about it and do my normal thing.
Gerald Baker
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 07:32
Originally posted by 308 Sav 308 Sav wrote:

Thanks guys. Looks like I just need to not worry about it and do my normal thing.

after you load a few check to see if the bullet runs out the next day or so, if the neck is not as tight as it needs to be it CAN happen sometimes but it's not an everyday thing. Just double check to be safe.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 08:01
308, to ease your mind a bit, try loading a round and separate it using your bullet puller. It takes quite a bit of force to unseat the bullet. They are in there pretty tight crimped or not.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 08:14
I use a Lee Collet Neck sizer, and they provide very little neck tension. In heavily compressed loads of Retumbo in my .300 Wby, I've found the bullet pushing out sometimes. Since then I've sanded the mandrel in my neck sizer down .002" to provide a little more neck tension. I've not had a problem since.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic