OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

conquest vs za3 vs vx3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conquest vs za3 vs vx3
    Posted: December/13/2010 at 15:28
between the zeiss conquest 3-9x40 or the minox za 3 3-9x40 (or even za-5 2-10x40) is there that much of a difference in quality? they look exactly the same. i know the zeiss is made in germany assembled here blah blah blah but what about minox? 

im also considering a vx3, i already have a vx2 on a 30-30 old school marlin and a monarch ucc on a predator hunting ar. does the vx3 have anything over the minox or zeiss?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 15:32
a gold ringBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 15:44
Originally posted by outlawskinnyd outlawskinnyd wrote:

does the vx3 have anything over the minox or zeiss?

A warranty that gets used allot more than Conquest's or Minox's.  Other than that, no.  

Lesser quality, it has that over them, does that count?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:12
how many vx3s have you had and for how long? what were the conditions that cause it to break? 

how you feel about leupold is how i feel about nikon. the only difference is good luck getting nikon customer service
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:23

The issues most guys have with the leupolds are that we think for the same money there is better glass to be had instead of a fancy gold decoration on the scope.  I've yet to look at a Leo i thought was worth what the sticker price was, thats just me.  The Conquest and the Minox are both well ahead of the vx3 optically.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 18:31
see my eyes love the leupold. not the vx1. id take a prostaff over a vx1. but id take a redfield over a prostaff so that evens out. but a vx2 my eyes love. 

the price point i can understand. but thats the price of american labor. steve jobs said if the ipad was made in america it would cost 5x what it does now.

i just get weary because in a forum you never know whose writing what. and looking through a scope in the store means nothing. maybe leupold looks the same as other cheaper scopes in the store but what about in the field when its foggy, or when there is low light, or when its raining. thats when my vx2 shines. if i stand in my landlords backyard with a full or 3/4 moon with my leup vx2, monarch and my friends weaver classic (which is a great scope btw) my leupold shows more detail than the other 2. ill set up decoys 40 yards away and be able to see what im looking at better than with the other 2. 

but if you guys have any suggestions please let me know. im open for suggestions. JUST NO VORTEX HAHAHA 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 18:46

see my eyes love the leupold. not the vx1. id take a prostaff over a vx1. but id take a redfield over a prostaff so that evens out. but a vx2 my eyes love. 

the price point i can understand. but thats the price of american labor. steve jobs said if the ipad was made in america it would cost 5x what it does now.

i just get weary because in a forum you never know whose writing what. and looking through a scope in the store means nothing. maybe leupold looks the same as other cheaper scopes in the store but what about in the field when its foggy, or when there is low light, or when its raining. thats when my vx2 shines. if i stand in my landlords backyard with a full or 3/4 moon with my leup vx2, monarch and my friends weaver classic (which is a great scope btw) my leupold shows more detail than the other 2. ill set up decoys 40 yards away and be able to see what im looking at better than with the other 2. 

but if you guys have any suggestions please let me know. im open for suggestions. JUST NO VORTEX HAHAHA 

Just for the record, aside from some cosmetic changes and the knob construction, VX-1 and Redfield are the exact same scope.  Quite literally.  Same lens systems, etc.

As for the rest of your post, if you like Leupold VX-2 that much, more power to you.  To my eyes Minox and Conquest are better.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 19:00
But are the Minox and the Conquest better than the VX3. Where is the answer from those who have all of them. Just curious.

Doug
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 19:01
If your eyes love a VX-2, they'll really love a VX-3 and the Conquest.  Some folks just despise Leupolds (and thats their choice) but they do have some things going for them that others don't.  But, if optics alone is what you're after, I'd take the Conquest over the VX-3.  Don't over look cost.  Looking @ 3.5-10x50 with similiar reticles (HVY Duplex) the Zeiss runs $250.00 more. 

Also, while you may not hear about it very often, Zeiss (as do others) drops a "lemon" out on the market from time-to-time.  And, depending on the issue, it "may" have to go back to Europe to get reapaired.  There's no deneying their glass is a little better, IMO.  

However, if your picky with reticle types and other customized features, I'd go with the Leupold.  Also, for the Leupold line, there are (stark) differences between a VARI-XIII, a VX-III and a VX-3. 

I've never looked thru a Minox so I can't how they compare but they seem to get good reviews here. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 19:06
Thank you tjtjwdad. I don't care either way on the issue. But, it is good to read a reasoned response, regarding Leupold, for a change. 

Edited by tahqua - December/13/2010 at 19:06
Doug
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 19:09
well no compared to the conquest its no match, the conquest wins.

i read the redfield has different lens coatings than the vx1 over at american rifleman.

is the minox the same as the conquest, the scopes itself looks identical
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 19:13

well no compared to the conquest its no match, the conquest wins.

i read the redfield has different lens coatings than the vx1 over at american rifleman.

is the minox the same as the conquest, the scopes itself looks identical

Coatings are the same between Redfield and VX-1 to the best of my knowledge.

Minox and Conquest have nothing in common except both are riflescopes.  When I last compared the two, I though that the Conquest was a somewhat better allround scope, but not by much.  Optically, Minox was a bit better than Conquest in the center of the FOV, but a bit worse at the edges.  The difference was the reticle: I liked Conquest's plex reticle more than Minox'.  Since then Minox came out with #4 reticle which I prefer, so it is likely to be the scope I most recommend in the $400 range (after I look at that reticle at SHOT next month).

Here is the discussion we had on this with the link to my article in the first post:

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 19:57
I don't think it's a slam dunk certainty that Minox ZA3 and Conquest are head and shoulders better than VX3.  I don't believe enough credit is given to the improvements made to the VX3 (as opposed to Vari-X III, or VX-III), and there's too much confusion between it and previous Vari-X/ VX -3/III scopes largely because of L's foolish decision to give it a similar name to previous series.  I think optically, it is very comparable to Conquest and it's reasonably priced for what you get.  I haven't spent any time behind a Minox scope to comment on it one way or the other, but based on others who have, namely Koshkin, I'm assuming it's in the same class as Conquest as well. 

The new VX3 scopes are very good optically and mechanically and represent a good value. 

Edited by RifleDude - December/13/2010 at 19:58
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 20:53
I have a VX-3 2.5-8x36, a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, and a Minox ZA5 3-15x42.

The Zeiss Conquest is very clear across the field, with little CA, flare is well controlled, little distorsion. I find the mechanicals good but not great. It is heavy and bulky compared to the others (15oz, 13.5"). The eyebox is good, with little variation across magnification.

I think that the Minox has a little edge on clarity, a little more flare than the Conquest, little CA, more distorsion on the outside of the field - but it is lighter and more compact, and it has a 5x erector. The mechanicals are OK, a little less well defined than the Conquest, very repeatable. The eyebox is good, although a little critical at 15x.

The VX3 is also very clear, but a touch less clear than the Conquest or the Minox - maybe 1-2 minutes difference at dawn or dusk, no more. Looking at dark undergrowth, the difference with the others is very hard to perceive. There is less distorsion than the Minox, about as much CA and flare (ie very little). It is more compact than either the Conquest of the Minox (11.5oz, 11.75"), and its form factor is really comfortable. The eyebox is good at all magnifications, not critical, with more variation in distance as you change magnification than I would like, but not so much that it is difficult to use. The mechanicals are good - I would rate them better than the Minox, and a touch better than the Zeiss.

I do not have these three scopes in the same "package" since they have different mag ranges. Between the three, I like the VX3 most for brush hunting with a compact rifle. I like the Minox best for long range, plains hunting. I like the Conquest best for mid range hunting at dawn or dusk. but, somehow, I often end up with the VX3 because of how light, compact and easy to deal with it is. And the Minox is a real jewel - it is the closest there is to a Swarovski Z5, but $1,200 cheaper:-) Although I would say the jury is still out on the ZA5 reliability, it is too recent for us to know for sure. But of course, Minox is a legendary company, its CS is excellent, and its warranty it tops.

In the end, I feel that all three scopes belong in the same class. While looking at optics alone may very slightly favor the Conquest (not by much), looking at ergonomics, weight, size etc. makes these 3 scopes pretty much equal, with each one having specific strengths. While Jeff and Ilya, both extremely capable at evaluating scopes, consider that Leupold is often overpriced, I do not feel that this is the case for the VX3, which, is, in my opinion, the best hunting scope that Leupold makes.

Btw, we should really add the SII Big Sky to the equation. I feel that it is in the same class as the other three as well.

As usual, the caveat is - this is how they feel to my eye - I am quite picky about my optics, but I also look at them as hunting tools, not at pure glass instruments. Other opinions may differ:-)

Edited by WestOfPecos - December/13/2010 at 21:35
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 23:18
In my earlier, if I came across that the Conquest was head & shoulders above the VX3, that post it wasn't my intention.  To me they're pretty darn close but with light transmission I'd give the edge to Zeiss but, that could be an optical illusion to my eyes due to color highlights (Zeiss Blues/Greens) and Leupold (Browns/Yellows). 

I was hoping this fall I could do a light transmission (gathering) test at 100 yards or so, but it didn't pan out.  Meanwhile I just do it in my back yard looking in the bushes and other objects 50 yds (or so) away.  Complcating it further is the VX3 is a 8.5-25x50 while the Zeiss is a 6.5-20x50. 

Some things in Zeiss favor (IMO);
- Etch reticles.  Very dark and contrasting.
- Constant eye relief throughout the zoom range.
- Good clarity & resolution from edge-to-edge slightly better than the VX3, IMO.
- Good resolution from edge-to-edge @ max power (thats a nice attribute).
- Good resale value.

Some negative things with the Zeiss (IMO);
- Not very flexible with reticle options and even less so with changing them out.
- May have to go back to Europe for repairs.
- Cost more than the Leupold VX3

Some things in Leupold's favor (IMO);
- Superb Mechanicals, better than Zeiss IMO.
- Reticle choices 2nd to none.
- Plenty of aftermarket accessories.
- Plenty of factory options if you would like to upgrade later (reticles, knobs, finishes, etc...)
- A warranty second to none.
- Good resale value.
- Good clarity & resolution from edge-to-edge but a tad behind Zeiss, IMO.
- Good clarity resolution @ max power but a TAD behind Zeiss.
- To some extent, they will back fit older scopes to todays options.  I.E.  back fit my VARI-XIII scope to accept the post 2004 Alumina Cover, filters and sunshades.
- Cheaper than the Conquest

Some negative things with the Leupold (IMO);
- Confusing model #'s.
- Eye relief isn't constant throughout the entire range (isn't advertised to be either).
- Clarity & resolution is good but just a tad behind the Zeiss.

They're both are good scopes, if possible try to compare the interested models side-by-side.  Let your eye's (and wallet decide).

HTH
mpk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 23:22
I have a VX3 4.5-14 and a Conquest 4.5-14. I ended up using the VX3 on my main hunting rifle this year. I really like the cds turret and the weight and compact size, and the reticle. The conquest may be a little brighter but the vx3 performs very well in low light. I have a feeling that a lot of leupold bashers may not have checked out the vx3, its significantly changed. 
mpk
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 15:47
thank you to all who posted!

wow. im so glad some people came back into the leupold discussion to back it up. 

any of you use sightron's big sky?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 15:52
btw im looking for a 2-8x range with no more than a 40mm glass size because of i want it mounted as low as possible. i really like the idea of leupolds 2.5-8x36. 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 16:08
one other things, hows the weaver super slam compared to the others mentioned? in my price range ive come up with sightron big sky, vx3, minox, conquest and superslam.

PaJack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 09:52
I have VX-III's and Zeiss,I'll take Zeiss any day...Bow
Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic