OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

opinions of Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4x32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: opinions of Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4x32
    Posted: December/12/2010 at 15:17
I just got my first rimfire rifle, a Ruger 10/22, and I'm looking for an inexpensive but decent scope for it for plinking, maybe the opportune squirrel, but no serious competitions or anything like that. Would the Nikon Prostaff 4x32 rimfire scope ($89.95 with rings at SWFA) be money well spent?

I know one could spend more money for a Weaver or Leupold rimfire scope, but seems to me the above would work just fine for my needs.

Any reason(s) this Nikon wouldn't be a good deal?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 15:26
Yes, I have the 4x32 (silver) in question and have slayed a few unlucky squirrels with it. 
I like it.

I also have the 2-7x Weaver and prefer it to the Prostaff, but either will suffice.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 16:39

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 23:40

I use the 2-7 Prostaff on my 12 gauge slug gun and it performed well this year taking a deer with it.

"Never rub another man's rhubarb!!"
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 10:06
I don't like the Prostaff series but the 4x is the exception for me. It is compact and clearer than its price would imply. A good choice imho. You can't beat the price:-)
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 10:55
I spent more for my ProStaff 4x32, and I still think it was a bargain.

It's just one of those scopes that seems about perfect at doing exactly what I want to do with it.  It seems to be many times better an optic than the $30 blister pack rimfire scopes.

If you're partial to Vortex, their 4x32 rimfire seems to me to be the equal (if not the twin) of the ProStaff.  I do think it's a few pennies more, however.

FC

Chrome223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrome223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 01:36
I had good luck with one.  Its an effective and efficient scope for the money, and didn't give me any issues in a few thousand rounds.

agksimon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agksimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 20:57
I have a 2X7 ProStaff on my 10/22 and it works perfectly.  I bought it from a dealer friend of mine who said he has sold about 800 of them in the last few years and never once had one come back.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 21:08

The prostaff will work fine for what you want it to do.

Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 18:51
I really considering all these for my henry 22 and my ruger 10/22.
 Are the Leupold rimfires worth 100+ extra? How does the Nikon compare against the rest the slightly more expensive scope, such as the sightron SI 3-9x32, Weaver classic 4x or 2-7, vortex crossfire,, vortex diamond back?

They all seem  to very similary in length for the most part. Weight is different,  Vortex diamondback  tipping the scales over 14oz. Leupold being almost half that at 7.5oz. Nikon website does not list the weight.

You might want to consider the new nikon 3-9x40 it supposed to have a bdc reticles calibrated to 22lr.
 Which would be the best optically? True these are not going to be a comparable with premium scopes but i think we all want to avoid, dark cheap glass. Best bang for the buck.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 17:07
Stork is right on the money. Nikon will be coming out with the Prostaff 3-9x40 Rimfire BDC 150 very soon. As many folks as I have had ask me about this scope I imagine it should be quite a hit. Made for those of us that love shooting 22's and really want to reach out there accurately. I have an old 10/22 with a Prostaff 3-9 with a BDC reticle and using Nikon's Spot On ballistic Program I have been able to accurately hit a 10in. steel plate at 150 yards 5:5 times. Of course a rare no wind W. Tx day too. 100 yards is easy on a 8 inch pie plate too. 
Check out Spot On at Nikonhunting.com, click Spot On, register,it's free and check out all the possibilities.
Bart
Nikon Pro STaff
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 18:15
Yea I'm really thinking about  getting one for my Henry 22 or Ruger 10/22 carbine.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic