OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New AR-15 Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 18:22
Hmmm... Andrew, your inspiring me to do the same!!! I'm gonna shut up, listen, and learn now... Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 18:28
Yeah, not sure I can just throw budget out the window.  I am just getting ideas.  I am really only looking for a gun that will shoot decently at 300 yards for coyotes. Although I already have a 22-250 that shoots great.  Would like to build a fun AR for it as well though.

After looking at the cost of a piston system, that is out the window.  It isn't worth that much to me.  I won't worry about getting the bolt with the barrel since it sounds like any of them should work fine.

I like the looks of the White Oak barrels, and they are definitely much less than some of the barrels I had been looking at, and in some respects really not that much more than some of the standard barrels you can get.

About the only other thing I really care about is a better trigger than the standard factory stuff.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 18:29
As for the triggers its hard to beat the ease of instilation and the function of the timneys
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 18:39
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

About the only other thing I really care about is a better trigger than the standard factory stuff.

You have several really good trigger assemblies to choose from too... Wilson, Timney, AR Gold, Geisselle, Jewell, Chip McCormick just to name a few.

I have the AR Gold and have been thrilled with it.  Best AR trigger I've tried so far.  It also has the shortest reset of any AR trigger I've shot.  I haven't tried the new Wilson yet, but a couple OT members have it and like it.  Like the AR Gold, Chip McCormick, and Timney, it is a fully contained unit inside a housing so you only have one part to install.  The AR Gold, and I believe the Wilson as well, also includes a secondary "intercepting sear" for safety in the event the rifle gets jarred and inadvertently trips the primary sear.  All you have to do to install one of the fully contained units is slide it in place, position the safety selector bar, install 2 pins, and check for function.  Then adjust pull weight if it's not already set to your liking. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 18:44
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

ar's are head spaced by definition, that is the collet on the chamber side is time to provide the headspacing and if the bolt is in spec it will head space. 

"Collet?"  Not sure what you are referring to.  Proper headspacing depends on the bolt head and chamber being in spec.  If they are, and the bolt head cams to closed position behind the locking lug abutments, it's properly headspaced.  If they aren't, it ain't.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 19:41
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/
This one is a whiteoak upper complete with 18 in spc barrel and midlength gas tube with quad rails and quad rail gas block.  I would suggest either a flip up type front gas block or a rail type gas block to get the front sight out of the way of optics. I like the quad rails and the 18 in with smith vortex gives you  velocity better than the 16 in but without it being a bulky feel there is a big difference in the feel of this compared to my service rifle match A2 style carry handle also a white oak armory rifle. I really prefer the collapsable stock.  The Gazelle trigger would be nice but they are spendy so I only have one.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 21:23
just referring to the barrel extension, the locking lugs are not machined into the barrel on an ar. barrel extensions (collets) are fitted on the barrels for replacement of the barrel on the upper in the field so they don't need head spacing, part of the orginal design. assuming eveything is in spec. RRA triggers aren't that bad. Lots of choices in this area. Decide if you like one stage or two stage.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 22:12
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

just referring to the barrel extension

Gotcha.
Ted

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 09:19
I am on my second del-ton barrel and the accuracy in them is pretty good.  With them you can get a lightweight profile barrel which makes for a nice light AR.  I have one on the AR I use the most and it makes a big diff in carrying it all day. 

But if you consider one of their barrels, you might as well go with the whole rifle kit.  My dads AR and one I assembled for a buddy are these del-ton kits.  They are well made and are very reliable. 

Yo can get a whole kit starting at $465 everything minus the lower http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm  YOu can customize them to pretty much however you want as well. 

Edited by supertool73 - December/13/2010 at 09:20
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 23:33
Are you guys using the single stage or two stage triggers?

I have looks at some of the different kits, and can't seem to find on that is just the way I want it, so I will probably just get all the stuff I want and put it together.  At least I can say I did it all that way Big Smile

Honestly some of the reason I am doing this is to build the whole thing the way I want it, not get a kit to do it (although I am not totally opposed to a kit if it would save some money, but it doesn't look like it by the time I customize it).  Just a challenge I want I guess.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 06:26
single I am not fond of two stages
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 08:40
I have a couple Timney tiggers.  They are pretty good.  I don't like 2 stage as well either.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 09:35
prefer two stage triggers here, especially in bolts, Hueber, TRG ---- best there are. A two stage in an ar is somewhat different, the first part of the take up is shorter, and you learn to hold the shot longer, (hold the trigger until the set,release forward) its just like shooting a Glock , you learn not to let the trigger move too far forward, the reset becomes part of the next shot, rather than the last part of the just now shot.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 10:24
Ar triggers - the best choice is Geissele  triggers they make different models consider this one for a carry gun
If it was a target gun one of the really light triggers like this:
The Rock River match triggers are pretty good but not up to the quality of these and when you buy a lower complete from rock river they only charge $50 more to put the match trigger in the lower complete so its a deal if you get it that way but at full cost no way.
I would have Whiteoak armory build the complete upper to your specs or if you want a non standard caliber http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/WSSM%20page.htm   Get a
good parts kit like a Rock river or at least a DPMS and get the Wolff spring kit
the springs come labled as to what they are and they are best quality.
Do yourself a favor and put a one point sling attachment on when you put on the stock and use molly grease on threads between the reciever and the Buffer tube that supports the stock.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 11:07
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Ar triggers - the best choice is Geissele  triggers they make different models consider this one for a carry gun

Once you try some of the newest self-contained (single drop-in cartridge) trigger units, I think your opinion will change because the self-contained units don't rely on the pin location tolerance issues of the lower.  With the self contained trigger units, the trigger pins are used solely to hold the trigger housing in the lower, so the designer is free to totally reengineer the trigger and sear geometry.  The result is few of the inherent limitations of the mil spec trigger parts that hold back the potential of the trigger pull.
Ted

SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 14:11
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Are you guys using the single stage or two stage triggers?

I have looks at some of the different kits, and can't seem to find on that is just the way I want it, so I will probably just get all the stuff I want and put it together.  At least I can say I did it all that way Big Smile

Honestly some of the reason I am doing this is to build the whole thing the way I want it, not get a kit to do it (although I am not totally opposed to a kit if it would save some money, but it doesn't look like it by the time I customize it).  Just a challenge I want I guess.  

I have both single and 2-stage JARD triggers.  If I am at the bench for groups only, I like the 2-stage.  The JARD is very clean.  In a dog town I like the single.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 23:15
The only experience I really have is with single stage triggers.  I have a Timney trigger in my 270 and love that trigger and feel.  I am not sure what is in my 300 WM, but I know it isn't stock.  I bought it used and then worked on the custom trigger even more to get the weight down and love that one as well.  I have been eyeballing the timney drop in for the AR.  Not sure what weight though. 

I would like to play with a 2 stage to see what they feel like.

Wes, definitely going to put on a one point sling attachment on.  Had one on my other AR and loved it.

Dale, haven't shot Glocks much at all.  Never cared for the feel of them as much as my 1911s, but I have a friend that has several I can go shoot to get that feel.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 23:21
And I am still trying to decide between a 16 or 18 in barrel.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 23:40

The 18 will increase your range a little. 16 is better for entry style setup. Just get 2 uppers. One of each.  Bucky

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 23:43
This is probably the most informative thread I've ever read on the AR...almost makes me want one...almost. Seems like a bewildering array of choices in that world. And I thought the Rem. 700 was bad. Good luck on your build, Drew. 
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic