OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T. Hewett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope opinions
    Posted: December/11/2010 at 11:33
I want to buy a scope. I want target turrets, mil-dot reticle, 500 dollars or less and variable power for shooting deer in bean fields out to 600 yards.  Any reccomendations would be appreciated.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 12:10
you dont want much do youBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 12:20
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13285.aspx

I think the turrets under caps are finger adjustable someone else will chime in I am sure. Been thinking about getting one myself.

Edited by 308 Sav - December/11/2010 at 12:26
Gerald Baker
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 12:37
+1 on the Viper
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 12:44
In that price range, you will be limited in several ways. If you want a scope with decent tracking and elevation range, you will compromise magnification range. In other words, all the scopes I can think of that are decent between 0-600 yards are $850 and over. If you can temper your expectations somewhat - and be realistic about taking humane shots - then the SS 3-9X42 meets all those requirements out to 400 yards (for $100 more).

Beyond that range, getting reliable results on a target requires an investment of time and resources. Is your rifle capable? Is your ammunition high quality? Do you have a way to measure inputs for ballistic calculations, e.g. muzzle velocity, barometric pressure, and temperature? Are you able to establish exact ranges for verifying your dope?
Reaction time is a factor...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 13:27
At that amount you want  to spend I would suggest checking out the SWFA sample list,best prices around!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 14:28

Might look at the Falcon Menace.

http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-5-25x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P47575.aspx

I have the 4-14 and like it a lot.

They don't have the warranty backing that the Vortex has, but for your application it should last a lifetime. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 18:47
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Might look at the Falcon Menace.

I'd think twice because going with the Falcon. You might want to check the forums for the reliability stories there. I really don't think they are up with the big boys on quality.

On the other hand, the OP has a tall request list for a Mil Dot. I would put the Vortex suggested above way ahead of the Falcon. I would also put the SS 3x9 FFP in play. It can be had for $540 with a coupon.

Edited by WestOfPecos - December/11/2010 at 18:50
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 20:04
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 20:32

I hear ya Pecos. If he was wanting a scope he could take to the range 3 times a week I wouldn't of suggested a Falcon. Sounds like it's going on a deer rifle that will see less than a box of shells per year. "Exactly what my Falcon sits on" For that purpose, I can say I'm very pleased with mine. 2 years and no issues so far on a .30-06 bolt gun.

A 5 year warranty gives you 5 years to save up for a replacement. "80-100 bucks a year, little more than a buck a week in a coffee can will do Big Smile"

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 20:57
This is the best I can think of. No target turrets, but Zeiss can retrofit them for you. It's $60 a knob to do it though. Would be a great scope for what you want to do though.

Another option at $400. 1/8 MOA target knobs. Good magnification range for the purpose, and mil-dot.

Edited by trigger29 - December/11/2010 at 20:59

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 13:04
I already answered the same question in the tactical column there is no need to post both places when asking the same question.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Toad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 14:36
Nikon Buckmasters 6-18 comes to mind. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic