OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

End of an era for Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 15:24
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

After this year Bushnell will no longer offer the Elite 3200 or 4200 series of scopes....at least under those model designations.

They are going to be all lumped into one model just named Elite.

Elite
E4165      4-16x50 Matte, Multi-X Argon, AO, Semi-Target Turrets     
E8320      8-32x40 Matte, Multi-X, Argon, Adj Objective               
E2105      2.5-10x50 Matte, Multi-X, Argon                              
E1224      1.25-4x24 Matte 4A w/Illum, FMC, Argon, 30MM                   
E4164B     4-16x40 Matte, DOA 600 Argon, AO, Semi-Target Turrets     
E6240      6-24x40 Matte, Multi-X, Argon AO, Sunshade, Semi-target Turrets  
E6241      6-24x40 Matte, Mill Dot Argon, AO, Semi-target Turrets     
E3950B     3-9x50 Matte, DOA 600 Argon                                   
E4164      4-16x40 Matte, Multi-X Argon, AO, Semi-Target Turrets     
E2104      Back to Top
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 15:28
so will the glass all be the same now ?  4200 glass or 3200 glass?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:40
and still a Light Optical Works scope I hope ?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 18:58
Interesting development.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 19:31
At first after seeing Chris' last post, I was thinking about the extensive VX3 line up. Then there is some 4x zoom scopes in the Elite mix. This combines some of the VX7 and VX3 power ranges. I would like to see what happens to the Bushnell pricing.
Their scopes have impressed me a lot in the mid-range price bracket. This is interesting to me also.

Doug
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 16:35
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

10x40 Matte Mill Dot, FMC, Argon, Sunshade

Well, there's atleast a change there...the current model doesn't come with a sunshade or able to have one fitted...exactly what I wanted! Big Grin
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 21:33
Chris, any idea if they will still be made in Japan or if they are moving to China????
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 11:31
Both.

All of the ones I listed will be made in Japan.  They will all use 4200 glass with and coatings and feature the new Rainguard HD.  They will all also use a new phase coating and be purged with Argon instead of Nitrogen.

There will be two scopes made in China.  A 3-9x40 and a 3-9x50 both with side parallax, retailing at $199.95 and $299.95.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 14:02
They are all using 4200 glass ? I guess that means the prices will be going up then.  With the 3200/4200 series there were recoil ratings also such as 3200's were tested at 1000 impacts and the 4200's were tested to 10,000 impacts. Are those ratings gone now or is there now one standard ?

Edited by Roy Finn - December/17/2010 at 14:05
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2010 at 19:36
Looking foward to that info if it's available.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2010 at 21:45
I have read, and I believe it may be true, that the 3200's were just as tough as the 4200's, and the different recoil ratings were just something made up to advertise.
travis13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2010 at 10:30
The last year front AO model in 6-24x40 is being sold for $389 here on SWFA. That's a pretty good deal IMO
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2010 at 21:43

Will they still have the 3.3" eye relief or the 4" like the 6500?

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 11:27
Well, I doubt I will buy the chinese ones but would consider the other. Like my 4200, especially the rainguard.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 07:22
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Well, I doubt I will buy the chinese ones but would consider the other. Like my 4200, especially the rainguard.

I think a lot of people totally miss the point when it comes to "Made In China" stuff. It's not that the Chinese want or like to make poor quality products, its that they manufacture to someone elses specifications. If someone wants to them to make sh*t then they'll make sh*t...if someone wants them to make a quality product then they'll make a quality product.

John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 08:26
Do you have any examples of good quality Chinese products?  I thought the whole reason companies subcontract out to China was to save money as they are not concerned with quality.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!!"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 08:53
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

I have read, and I believe it may be true, that the 3200's were just as tough as the 4200's, and the different recoil ratings were just something made up to advertise.

I've always believed that the "mechanicals" of both the 3200 and 4200 were the same. It was only the glass (multicoated Vs fully multicoated), the erector systems (3x Vs 4x) and the options (side focus etc)...correct?
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 00:54
when you say "after this year bushnell will lump the elite into one catagory" does that mean after 2010 and they will be available this year? or is it after this year and they will be available in 2012?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 01:55

When I mentioned to my friend, who works as a salesman in a gunshop, about this change he said he knew nothing about it and the head salesman for Bushnells importers here in Australia has said nothing about it to him either.

EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 05:39
Although I see this as a crying shame after just recently owning and falling in love with my first 4200, I can see their tactic, as well.

For the price that they SUGGEST my exact scope go for ($450) compared to what I actually PAID for it, brand new and in the box ($215 SHIPPED and AFTER tax), they are more than likely trying to marginalize the gap between their top end scopes (being the 6500 series) and their lesser quality scopes in order to re-coop loss.

Think about it.  Unless you are loaded to the gills with cash to spend on the 6500s for all your rifles (which many of us are not), by having the 3200s (which I am sure are great scopes) and the 4200s (which I KNOW to be great scopes at a GREAT price if you look around) on the market for average hunters like many of us out here, tends to make us shy away from such a pricey product when we can get roughly the same results for a MUCH cheaper price.

Heck, go to the Bushnell website and click on rifle scopes and tell me what you see!  You never see any talks of the Bushnell Sportsman...why do you think that is?  Do you think it's because it's their entry level scope that you can get from Wal-Mart for $40-50 bucks?  Perhaps because they are, for the most part, GARBAGE!!! (I had a horrific experience with one that was on my brother's Rem 700 7mm-08)  Or do you think that it's because they would rather you only see their top-end, pricier stuff in hopes of spending more money on their product?  Look at what they DO advertise on their website under rifle scopes.  If you take the 3200 and the 4200 off that list, what are you left with?  Their Banner series shows up as their "Entry Level" scope (which is false) and compared to what I paid for my 4200 is an absolute RIP OFF for the quality optics that you would be taking home from them in comparison.

Yes, it's a shame, but a money-making tactic on their part.

Oh well, unless a reasonably priced solution with the same quality as my 4200 comes back around, it will only be one more reason for me to jump at that Zeiss Conquest as a future replacement for my .300WSM vice a Bushnell.  And probably my 30.06...and my .280 as well.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic