OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

wheelguns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 20:07
Hey Ed, what size barrels were those 19 S&W's? 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 20:11

4  and  6   

Extremely Loud and Very Loud   
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 20:12

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 20:14
Don't worry, flying on C-130's robbed me of some of my hearing already! The wife yells at me sometimes. Big Grin
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 20:20
YES....I WAS ALSO IN A TRAIN CRASH................

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 20:23

Edited by Ed Connelly - December/10/2010 at 06:13
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 20:25
One day there's going to be several news helicopters flying over the "scene" at the Clifford Compound with an army of federal agents, armored cars, various incendiary devices, K-9's and a crazed guy named "Dale" yelling out his list of demands from the shot out windows of his humble abode.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 05:51

I'm not big on listing my guns for the whole world to see.  However, here are some comments.

Ruger and Smith & Wesson are pretty generally recognized as the best current revolver manufacturers.

In .22 LR, a Ruger Super Single Six convertible is about as good a gun as you can get.  I personally like the new 4 5/8" barrel version, but had a 5 1/2" barrel that shot beautifully.  You may want to afford a relatively small amount for a trigger job and a Wolff spring after you've shot it a while.

In double-action .38, .357 and .44 magnums, I prefer the Smith & Wesson.  You can get a wonderful trigger pull if you shop around a little or have a trigger job done.

Personal fit is everything in a handgun.  Be sure the gun fits you and points naturally for you before you buy it.  I'm not a fan of barrel-heavy guns that feel like a brick and don't point naturally.  I'm also not a fan of the ultra-lightweight revolvers.  They are pretty much for belly-to-belly range (i.e., easy to carry, but not particularly pleasant to shoot and harder to keep on target.)

Example:  I shot .38 specials out of both a lightweight (15 ounce) Colt Cobra and a S&W Model 19 at the range when I was fairly new to handgun shooting.  I could shoot expert scores with the S&W, but  often could score with only 5 out of 6 shots with the Colt Cobra.  The 6th shot sometimes went completely off the target.  (No, it wasn't a bad chamber.)

When you move up to the .44 Magnum level, gun fit is EVERYTHING!  I cannot fire more than two shots out of a standard Ruger single-action .44 magnum without developing an uncontrollable tremor in my right hand.  On the other hand, I can fire a complete box of .44 magnum shells out of a Smith & Wesson 4-inch Model 29 accurately with no ill effects!  Some people will find the exact opposite to be true.  It's a  matter of fit!

The best all-around revolver is probably a 4" .357.  You can reload shells at the .38 special power level for practice.  It makes a great and versatile defense gun.  And it's handy, which is the whole reason for having a handgun.

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 07:22
I do love the look of the S&W 686 in 357 mag 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 09:37
Believe me thats no where near the "entire" list.  One of my all time favorites is the 6" 29, and the raging hornet. 
Oh yea I forgot
10" Raging Hornet
mod. 625.
Wilson PPC

In times past, handgun hunting was more popular than today, and as suggested the use of the handgun determines what you'll be getting. Also PPC used to be fun, as well as revolver class in IMSHA. Heavy loads in revolvers are difficult and guns like blackhawks trigger guard will make your middle knuckle swell, so grip changes become more important than say autos. Knowing how to "stack" the shot in good double action shooting is a lost art. A good revolver and loads will easily hit an 8" plate at 75 yds, standing 5/6 times--standing no support, and will consistently hit 200 meter silhoutte targets from a Creedmore postion, 20/20. The broad power range of the revolver is one of its most appealing features. Mild plinker loads to grizz. can be done in the same gun without function problemsand its a rare auto that approaches some of the power levels of the big revolvers.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 09:42
It's amazing what people can do with a revolver at long ranges. I've watched my friend's uncle drop 5 Gatorade bottles in a row standing from 50 yards, with a 44 mag. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 09:46
"Ive always been a fan of the ballistics and hand ability with the 357mag. Packs a real nice punch and really on a large or mid size frame isn't unfriendly to shoot.

Dale, seeing as you've owned a laundry list of revolvers, what would you recommend in the 357mag department? 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 09:51
686, or 586 in 4 or 6 inch  hands down.
Edit add, that the balance in this group of revolvers is almost perfect. It has the balance of the python which is the best of any revolver, and the shorter DA of the SW. This gun design was stolen from the python and if any one remembers the time and effort gone into its development would appreciate it more.

Edited by Dale Clifford - December/10/2010 at 09:56
Yogi Bera

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 09:53

Someone asked me the other day. "What do you think of the Judge?" Reply , It's sad to me to see that so much has been forgotten about revolver shooting".

Yogi Bera

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 10:00
My M28 was my PPC gun. It is a 4" and has been tricked out, but still legal. It is not apparent that it is a Highway Patrolman. I would not be without a 4" .357.
Doug
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 10:07
The larger frame size has a definite advantage in DA shooting as the greater cyclinder mass, itallows the inertia to care the cylinder smoother to lock up-- Thats why Miculek (sp) hold the worlds speed record with an N frame. --- but for carry I like the (petite?) 586s.
Yogi Bera

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 10:35
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

--- but for carry I like the (petite?) 586s.
That's why I carry my FA83 .454 instead of my .44 RH, petite.

Edited by tahqua - December/10/2010 at 10:35
Doug
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 10:35
Thanks for the insight Dale.....it is appreciated. Excellent
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic