OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How low can the Aimpoint Micro go?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SporkInTucson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How low can the Aimpoint Micro go?
    Posted: December/08/2010 at 01:06
Was just looking at some alternate mounts for the Aimpoint Micro -- the LOW lever mounts from American Defense and A.R.M.S.  Questions:

Are either of these (or any other) after-market mounts lower than the factory mount that came on the Micro?

If I have one of these on a Micro, detach from the rail, and reattach in the same spot, how far can I expect my zero to drift?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 10:13
I have a traditional scope mount from American Defense and like it.  I haven't used their micro mount, but a few thoughts anyway.

1.  Why do you want lower?  Most mounts are made to cowitness irons - so cheek weld should be good.  Going lower will make dot acquisition more difficult, I would think.

2.  The lockup mechanism on the AD mounts is pretty robust, so shift in zero should be minimal.  Add to that the 4 MOA dot and the fact that dot sights shouldn't be on precision weapons (at least not acting as precision aiming points) and you shoul;dn't see any noticable shift in POI with detach/attach of the optic..

3.  If anyone makes a lower mount, I would guess LaRue does, but not certain of the standard height, much less lower.

Good luck.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SporkInTucson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SporkInTucson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 21:21
Thanks for the info, Coolaid.

Why lower?  I've got the an Aimpoint Micro on an UltiMAK gas tube rail on an AK.  It *just* cowitnesses with the iron sights, which is normal for this combination.  Most other mounting options won't cowitness at all because they're too high -- the only other one I'm aware of is the Midwest Industries solution customized for Aimpoint Micros.  But I like the UltiMAK and am not considering the MI.

Cheek weld is OK, but I thought that a detachable mount would be handy.  Have to make sure it is at least as low as the factory mount, which is why I'm curious if anybody knows what might be lowest.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic