OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pistol Ammo.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pistol Ammo.
    Posted: December/07/2010 at 11:51
So I currently use the Hornady TAP FPD JHP in 155gr for my .40. I used the Speer Gold-Dot 180gr out of my Sig, and I was wondering what you guys have had great luck with in the JHP. I only bought the Hornady for its price, and availability, but was wondering if you guys had some suggestions, thanks!
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 11:57

Here is what I do with my pistol that I carry.  I keep it loaded with my self defense ammo all the time so normally my first shots at target will be with them to make sure that I still have teh right technique and aim.  It also let me cycle that ammo through the gun so I can load up newer ammo of the same type/weight.  ( I dont' like to keep ammo for longer than 6 months at a time so i like to keep it fresh so to speak even though technically it doesn' t have to be done)  Then i will spend the rest of my time at the range using cheap FMJ or whatever i can find to shoot cheap.  The last clip of day will be with what I intend to keep in it to again reaffirm my POA and technique.  Then i clean it loadit up and I'm good to go.    Some will say practice with what you carry but i can't afford to do that and as long as the first and last clip are what i use for daily carry i think I can safely say I know where I will hit my target at.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 11:59
I'm cheap when it comes to pistol ammo, I usually buy Magtech for all my pistols.  The only pistol ammo that I reload for is the 454 casull all others are store bought.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:16
Yeah I usually use cheap FMJ for the fundamentals of shooting, and price, and then use what I carry in the same aspect, one mag to start, one mag to finish. But the real thing is what is your carry/defense ammo. I have been looking alot at the magtech for their price, but was wondering what else everyone had success with.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:22
I carry hornady TAP as well.  It shoots/functions good and has a low muzzleflash.  

Edited by supertool73 - December/07/2010 at 12:23
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:25
Are you carrying the 155 or 180?

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:29
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:29
In the WInter I carry 180 FMJ though.  For the fact that people wear more and heavier clothing and it can fill up the hollow point and also limit penetration.

Edited by supertool73 - December/07/2010 at 12:30

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:30
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

In the WInter I carry FMJ though

you are a smart one, after i thought about that comment above!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:38
Thats a pretty smart comment right there, and it makes perfect sense.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:40
I use the Hornady Critical Defense ammo for my CC guns
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:43
I have been wanting to try some, I am just to cheap

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense/

Edited by supertool73 - December/07/2010 at 12:44

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:59
I like it so far.  haven't really tested it on anything but a yote.  Out of a 9mm at 45yds it blew his exit side shoulder off completely.    Accuracy is on par with about all the other ammo in its range, better than I can shoot.Wink
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 13:02
My problem is I like to shoot 200 to 300 rounds of the ammo I carry to make sure it is 100% reliable in my gun.  I have don that with TAP and 180 FMJ.  But now to do it with another expensive ammo is like uugghh. 

But it does sound like it would be perfect for anytime/all time carry. 

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 14:10
I switched from gold sabots to the critical defense because of the clothing issue you talked about.  I dont' want to have to worry with layers of clothing and all.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 04:26
I use Remington Golden Saber 165-grain JHPs.  Also, Remington 155 JHPs.  Both work fine in Glocks.

Edited by Longhunter - December/08/2010 at 04:28
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic