OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Changing E/W knobs on a Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing E/W knobs on a Leupold
    Posted: December/06/2010 at 23:30
I am looking to change the coin slot E/W knobs on my Leupold VXII 3-9 EFR. I am looking at either the target knobs or the M1 knobs. Not looking for a tactical look, I just like the idea of not having to remove caps in order to change the W/E. But I have heard that the target knobs have a better feel to them. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 07:32
Cost.  You'd be better off to trade that scope in to SWFA using their program to do so and get a better scope with finger adjustable turrets. 

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 13:46
If you are using it at the range and constantly adjusting I would think the M1 is the way to go. I have the covered target style on a Leupold and they are nice if you are doing most of the adjustments at the range. I put the covers back on when I'm in the field.
The M1's are only $20 more, so that's good.
Doug
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 19:47
Tahqua,

I was leaning towards the M1 but I have heard that the clicks are better on one of the type of knobs than the other. But I do not recall which was better.

And SVT what would you suggest I change to that has specs similar to the 3-9EFR and cost me less than $150 to do it?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 19:53
I would suggest you go to the covered target knobs if this is a hunting gun because then you can have the covers on when you want and off when you want.  I like the feel of the clicks on the covered knob better than the feel of the M1 but both will work.  I like the 3-9x42 Super Sniper way better than the scope you have it will be much better glass and it will be 1/10 mil per click with a mil dot reticle and FFP so you are getting way more when you go to something like that than just different knobs.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 19:53
Sparky, what kind of gun are you using and what for? The Leo 3-9 EFR is a great scope and I'm wondering if your doing something special with the set up.
Also, I haven't heard much about the difference in clicks. Here is some pretty cool pics from Brady @ O.T. http://opticstalk.com/leupold-m1-m2-m3-knobs-w-pics_topic15845.html
I bet the folks at SWFA can help with the click question

Doug
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 20:08
This is the covered style target knob on a 3-9 PR  Leupold

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 20:13

This is the 3-9 Super Sniper

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 23:32
Thanks for the replies. Urimaginaryfrnd, I agree with your comments about the SS 3-9 being a much better scope 110%. But my 3-9 EFR is on a Volquartsen 22lr and I shoot it anywhere from 25yds indoors to 100yds outdoors. So at those ranges the SS 3-9 is out. But if the SS 3-9 focused down to 10m like some of the other SS scopes I would get one. Your comments about liking the target knobs over the M1 knobs is what I was looking for. Thanks.

I guess I should have been more specific, but I was only asking about the knobs and not glass. And I posted in the rifle scopes section and not the rim fire section since I figured there would be more people here who have changed the knobs than on the rim fire section.

Tahqua, thanks for the link on the M1 knobs. I was only looking at the M1 knobs and not the M2 or M3 because I want 1/4moa clicks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic