OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Glass Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Comparison
    Posted: December/05/2010 at 13:26
Been thinking about getting a vortex diamondback 3-9x40 but then realized that the bushnell 4200 is only $10 more here.  From what I read everyone compares the 4200 to the viper line which is another $140.  Just wondering if the glass is noticably better on the 4200 over the diamondback or is the viper that much better than the 4200 making it worth the extra $140?
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!!"
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 13:55
You are correct generally viper vs 4200, but those prices seem odd to me. usually the 4200 can be $100 more than the vipers. What are the prices?

Edit: apparently in 3-9x40 the 4200 is only $300, but the next two cheapest in the line are $430 and $500. Not sure why that is , and if the cheaper one is any worse as a result. The diamondback in the same size should be $190. Either they are overcharging for the diamondvback or undercharging for the 4200.

Edited by grimreaper21 - December/05/2010 at 14:05
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 14:20

Canadian prices on riflescopes are usually out of whack and sometimes quite a bit more $$.  The diamondback goes for $319, 4200 is $329 and the viper is $469.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 14:30
In that case 4200 is easily the best value, it would be like getting the viper for almost the same as the diamondback. Can you order the diamondback from swfa for 190$ or do they not ship to Canada? Also I'd just make sure the 3-9 4200 has the same quality as the other 4200 models because I haven't seen one myself. (makes me wonder if the higher magnifications are the only reason they would cost almost 50% more).

Also, if ur spending 330 why not check out what the zeiss conquest goes for over there ($400 here). That's generally considered the best deal of any 3-9 scope.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 14:38
No they wont ship scopes across the border.  The zeiss 3-9x40 is $499 here but I like limiting my scopes to bushnell, nikon, leupold or vortex as there are local facilities to deal with those brands and in the event I need service than I don't have to screw around shipping it across the border.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 14:44
Sounds like 4200 is a good deal then, just make sure to play with it /look through it before you buy it
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 18:48
Originally posted by Teddy Bear Teddy Bear wrote:

The zeiss 3-9x40 is $499 here but I like limiting my scopes to bushnell, nikon, leupold or vortex as there are local facilities to deal with those brands and in the event I need service than I don't have to screw around shipping it across the border.

Teddy Bear- be aware that, among the four companies you listed here, three of them have great customer service, and the 4th is Bushnell. If you are focusing on customer service as a key requirement, I would take out Bushnell, which has a very poor reputation on support and service.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 07:42
4200 would be better of the two between it and the diamondback. The rainguard feature alone edges it over the top.
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 09:39
The 4200 Elite 3-9x 40mm model is different than the other 4200s. It uses the Elite 3200 adjustments (finger adjustable, but not target style).
That's why it's cheaper. The glass is still 4200 glass however,and is darn good.

I recently compared my dad's 4200 3-9x 40mm glass to my Viper glass. It's a very close comparison. Edge to edge, the Viper had better clarity, as my dad's 4200 was cranked far over due to a mount problem. The 4200 consequently had a bitty of soft focus around the edges,but at the center it gave slightly better resolution than my Viper 6.5-20x,when both were set to 9x.
Note that this resolution difference was only discernable using an old USAF resolution chart at 30yds, in that I could read one additional line with the 4200 vs the Viper.
 Real world,I had a very,very hard time telling a difference.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 10:13
Thanks for the info poodle, don't need the target knobs and if its got 4200 glass thats the main thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic