OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

XDM 3.8 Range Report.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XDM 3.8 Range Report.
    Posted: December/04/2010 at 20:45
So went to the range finally today and shot my new XDm 3.8 40 S&W. I did notice a little place with the trigger before feeling pressure, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact of the safety feature in the trigger. Other than that, it felt really good, and shot very smoothly. I want to show something. This target is from my wife shooting, HER FIRST TIME EVER SHOOTING ANYTHING, EVER. If this doesn't impress you about the XDm 3.8, I don't know what will. She even said that it felt a little big for her. 

Hornady 155 gr TAP JHP ammuniton, indoor range @ approx 25ft.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2010 at 21:10

Nice, have a buddy with the 9mm XDM and he likes it a lot. The ability to change back straps to accomodate smaller hands is why he got his. He's a slight fellow with the hands of a 8 year old girl. 

I've shot his set up the way he likes it and was impressed with the pistol. 

Good on ya for taking the Mrs. out and having her shoot. She did great!!!!!

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 10:03
Looks great.  Now where are your targets?  Or did she skunk ya  a littleWink
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 10:10
Haha no, I have experience with pistols, and wanted to show how good the weapon is having a completely novide shooter handling it. Ill make sure to throw up my next targets lol.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 10:12
I'm just ribbing you.  I have faith that you can put up a good target.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 15:20
3.8 in 40 cal came in last week on special order at the local gun shop, the guy who ordered it never went to pick it up, so i handled it on Saturday evening. If i can get the funds together this week, it will be mine! 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 17:46

I really like mine. Like I said, the only complaint is something that CAN be fixed/adjusted/replaced, but I'm totally impressed with it.

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 11:01
I think the only thing i would upgrade is taking out the very slight bit of play in the trigger. A decent gunsmith would have no problem doing that and i happen to know a pretty good one up here in the sticks lol.

Just found out next week we are hitting a Christmas bonus. Plus i'm trying to sell one of my guitars so i'm going to see if the shop will hold the pistol for me until then.

Edited by shooter07 - December/07/2010 at 11:03
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 11:09
They are not able to take it out completely as that part of the trigger design.  However is you send it to Springfield, they have both combat and target trigger jobs that help some.  Also Springer Precision specializes in XD trigger jobs and do a good job as well.

They even had drop in kits where a user can correct some of the slop with just drop in parts. 

I don't mind the take up before the trigger pull as that is just a one time thing and quickly gone.  The part I don't like is the slop after the reset.  On a Glock or 1911 after you have trapped the trigger to the rear and you start moving it forward, as soon as it clicks it is tight again. With the XD after the click you have more take up (slop) before it is tight again.  Supposedly those trigger jobs help reduce that some as well.  But not perfect.  I guess if a persons shooting technique is slapping the trigger instead of using reset then this would not really be an issue though.

So it is not completely correctable, and if you feel that will be a big issue I would not buy the XD.  There are other choices out there that are better in that regard.

Edited by supertool73 - December/07/2010 at 11:10
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:00
I think the "slop" can be trained on, although i do admit the glock 23 is a superior trigger in all aspects. I have zero worries about putting $540ish into the XDM, as it is the best handling pistol i've ever felt. It shoots very accurately out of the box and is super reliable. It's small enough for concealed carry but big enough i can openly tote as well. Gotta love the firepower to size ratio as well. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 12:15
Oh it for sure can be trained on.  I run mine stock and do just fine on them.  I just wanted to make sure you knew that slop cannot be completely taken out.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 16:44
Well i just put the 3.8 40 (all black version) on layaway at the local gun shop. $250 down with $300 left to pay within 60 days. Should have it by mid January, possibly earlier depending on how much i get for my Christmas bonus at work. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 22:59

Nice shootin! ... looks like its time to set your wife up with her own rig! Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic