OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski AV vs Kahles AH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski AV vs Kahles AH
    Posted: May/26/2004 at 14:49
Hey Chris and anyone else who could offer solid advise, I am considering the purchase of a Swarovski AH 3-10x42(TDS) or the Kahles AH 3-9x42(TDS). Price not withstanding, which scope would you pick to be mounted on a Kimber 8400 in 300 WSM (light rifle/hard kicker. I am as concerned with the quality of the optics( brightness, resolution etc.) as I am with the durability of the two scopes ability to withstand the stout recoil of the rifle/caliber it will be subjected to. Chris, if price was a factor, are either of these scopes that much better than the Elite 4200 2.5-10x40? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Roy Finn
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2004 at 22:52

Hello Roy.  I think both are very good scopes and either one should hold up and perform in a stellar fashion.  If money were not an issue, I would go with the Swarovski.  I think by design it is a higher quality scope than the subsidiary brother.  I also think that Swarovski is simply about as good as it gets in optics, they have very few peers.  That being said, I think the Kahles will perform just as well in 99% of actual hunting situations and it will save you a few bucks.  If you have the money get the Swarovski just because that 1% situation might happen when that Boone & Crocket trophy is on the line.  I think both scopes a superior to the 4200 Elite.  But, both scopes cost more than the Elite and the Elite will be more than adequate for most hunting encounters.  I don't think you would go wrong with any of them, I just think that you step into a whole new league with the higher-end Euro-opticss. 

ranburr   

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2004 at 00:14
Hey ranburr, thank you very much for taking the time respond to my question. Of the two,I was leaning towards the Swarovski, but, in the back of my mind, I still keep thinking that the Elite 4200 is a tough act to follow. Leupold proudly states that they subject the Vari-X lll to a durability test equal to 5000 rounds of 375 H&H Mag. Bushnell states that they subject the 4200's to double that and we all know that Leupold has a well earned reputation for durability, which ,as I stated is a significant concern of mine. Due to your knowledge of optics, there is little doubt in my mind the the Swarovski would be the clear winner, no pun intended!!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2004 at 15:18

I hunt with a Swarovski 4-12x50 TDS on a 5.5 lb. 6.5 STW and have had zero problems.  Swarovski has always kept Kahles a few steps behind them for marketing reasons....until recently that is.  Kahles is now completely off the leash at their request and have substantially closed the gap.  I am sure you have noticed this over the past couple of years.  Their new CSX illuminated scopes offer superior technology when compared to the Swarovski illuminated scopes.  They are almost becoming fierce competitors...which is good for us because we just keep getting better and better products.  These two companies do not share technology, rep groups, staff, etc.  So all that being said...I would still go Swarovski but keep my eye of Kahles in the future.

If price was a factor I would go with out beer for a while until I had enough to get the Swarovski.  There is a difference but mainly just in extreme low light.  If you go Euro you definitely pay for it.  4200's, VX-III's and Conquest are all above average and can easily get the job done but if you want the absolute best money can buy then it would be a Swarovski.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2004 at 20:14

"They are almost becoming fierce competitors...which is good for us because we just keep getting better and better products.  These two companies do not share technology, rep groups, staff, etc."

That is the kind of thing that you often see when someone is about to be sold off.  Any talk of this?

ranburr

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2004 at 15:18

First you must understand what led to Swarovski buying Kahles.  The last heir to the world's oldest and proudest scope company (Friedreich Kahles) was close to death in 1977 when he asked Swarovski to buy his company and keep the tradition alive as well as the employees (some had been their over 50 years).  Neither could stand to see such a tradition go down the drain or be bought by outside investors that would run it into the ground.  Since both were in Austria and both successful, Swarovski agreed to buy Kahles and keep it running as a branch of Swarovski Optik.  Kahles employees never really liked being thought of as a Swarovski branch because of the assumption that Kahles would be one step below Swarovski and they have fought continuously to be allowed to do their own thing and in 1989 Kahles became an independent company within the Swarovski group.  But now they are completely free having their own price list, reps, etc.  I have not heard any talk of them selling and hope that if they do the employees are able to buy the company.

Read the complete history of Kahles

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic