OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 8X Porro Prisms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 8X Porro Prisms
    Posted: November/29/2005 at 15:37
I want a really good pair of 8X porro prisms for stand hunting.  I wear glasses, so eye relief is an issue.  I might consider a 7X, but no 10X (don't need it, can't hold it steady).  Please don't tell me I need roof prisms for hunting, I've already got a good pair, and in many years of hunting I've never needed waterproof glass.  I've spent some time with the Nikon Premier SE and like them a lot, but what else is out there?  Thanks for your input.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2005 at 17:16

I'd have to say the best poro's that I have come across are the Swift Adubons.  The optics are about the best out there even when compared to much more expensive glass.  I have both sets non-ED and ED glass both are very very clear, bright and have excellent color transmition. 

They say waterproof, I have heard they are not as H20 proof as a roof prism and so far I havent tested mine although the pair I gave my father and his have been warn in the rain and so far worked great.

The bino's have an excellent field of view (nice thing about poro's) however, the eye relief isnt as much as some people would like.  I dont wear glasses so I get the whole view.  My father wears glasses and it cuts down on the field of view but because it is so large it really isnt much of a concern.

The non-ED pair seem slightly brighter to mine and another hunting buddies eyes.  However, the ED glass pair removes the slight purple haze you might see when looking at tree limbs on a sunny day. Sorry the word that describes that escapes me. Some stores list the ED and non ED as the same weight, they are not the ED pair is about 4oz lighter in weight.  Peronsally, I think that the non-ED pair is a better buy for the money its not like you hold up the two and go "wow yeah that is definitly worth the extra $150-180 dollars" but the ED glass is nice to have plus I personally like the look of the black rubber body over the gray.

I have friends that only hunt with German optics and everybody that looked through the Swifts were very impressed more so when I told them the cost  and that was looking throught the non-ED pair (even better)

Do a search on this forum for the Swift Audubons there has been some pretty favorable comments. Also, I found this  which is interesting :

http://betterviewdesired.com/audubon/audubon.html

Finally, I just posted asking for a good 8x poro for my father in law (Christmas present) to replace the old Tasco's but I didnt want to spend a great deal of money infact the Swifts were a bit out of the price range.  It was suggested that I look at the Bausch & Lomb Discoverer series on closeout at Cabelas.  I did a little on-line research and prior to B&L selling out to Bushnell the  B&L Discoverer poro's sold as a pretty high end bino.  Closeout cost was about $150, they are supposed to be in Nov 30 so once they arrive I will update my previous post when I compair them to the Swifts.

Sorry so looooongg winded

Edited by Acenturian
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2005 at 18:21

Acenturian stole my thunder on the Discoverers. 

I have a 10X model which I bought from Cabelas for $180. (The 8X is $160) They originally retailed for around $400 so this is a pretty serious markdown. I have been very favorably impressed with mine. The optical image is superb. It easily rivals the image of high end roofs costing over $1000.   The field of view on my 10X is an impressive 341 ft. which is actually larger than my 8X Pentax. It is also higher than every one of  the most expensive roofs.  The Zeiss Victory FL comes closest at 405 ft.  The 8X model has a FOV of 410 ft. This is also better than almost every roof prism on the market. (The exception being the 8X Discoverer roof with a FOV of 420 ft.) What's more, they are waterproof, fogproof, nitrogen purged, have the patented RainGaurd coatings, and have a lifetime warranty. 

Of course, this all does come at the cost of a little bit of extra bulk. But, since you already are familiar with (and even seem to prefer) the porro style, this becomes a moot point for you. 

Cabelas is the only place I know of that is currently still marketing the porro prism Discoverers and it's anybody's guess how many they still have.  At the price they are asking however, I consider them a absolute steal.  Get 'em while they last...

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2005 at 22:53

For the money Swift Audubons 8.5x44 are hard to beat.  Their center field resolution will rival that of any binocular at any price.  Overall, the best porro is probably Nikon Superior E. 

My go to binocular is a porro IOR 7x40 which is superb (I actually two of these and they are both excellent).  One of the best porros in the world is Fujinon FMTR-SX.  It is available in 7x50 and 8x30 as well as 10x50.  Optically, I think it is comparable to Nikon Superior E.  Both IOR and FUjinon are waterproof but have individual eye focusing rather than central focus like that of Nikon and Swift.

I've also heard good reviews of Steiner Nighhunter XP.

All in all, If you can live with individual eye focusing IOR and Fujinon are excellent and waterproof to boot.  If you want center focus I'd look at Swift Audubons 8.5x44 very hard (or if you can afford Nikon Superior E, than go with that).

Ilya

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2005 at 08:34

Thanks for the input.  I've pretty much ruled out the Swift Audubons because of limited eye relief.  I had already read the review at betterviewdesired.  They sound great until near the end, when you find that a glasses wearer only gets 2/3 of the field of view..  You prpbably can still see plenty, but I've found over the years that binoculars like that are very tiring to look through; my eye is always shifting around looking for a better view.

I haven't found anything about eye relief on the B&L Discoverers.  Any glasses wearers out there using them?

I'll check on the IOR's and Fujinons, but I do think I want to stick with center focus, though.  Looks like I'll end up with the Nikons.

By the way, maybe I'm just getting older, but I'd much rather hold a pair of porros than roofs.  They just fit my hand better.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2005 at 12:59

I wear glasses (with a rather strong Rx in fact) and I get the entire field of view from my 10X Discoverer.

To be precise about things, the official eye relief specs are 17mm for the 10X and 19mm for the 8X

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2005 at 17:57

Ok B&L  Discoverers came in today and I have been playing around with them and comparing them side by side with the Swift Audubon ED's.   I am no optics expert and I dont know the jargon that even goes with  the field but I will try my best to give a comparison.

For brightness I'd give a slight edge to the Swifts could be because they have a slighly bigger objective at 44mm to the B&L 40mm.

Clarity - again I'd give a slight edge to the Swifts.  They both are very clear but the Swifts are pretty much clear edge to edge.  For some reason he Swifts just make objects (signs under trees on a very gray overcast day at about 100 yards) just jump out at you.

Feel in hand - Id give that to the B&L.  The Swifts are comfortable the design to the hand area are great and have a modern look to a poro design. BUT the B&L has smaller lenses and it feels more compact when handling the binos.

Weight- About the same maybe a slight edge to te B&L

Eeye relief- definitly the edge here goes to the B&L.  You get a noticable longer eye relief.

I will test them when it get really dark out later.  So who is the winner??? Well maybe I am just a Swift fan but I think the optics are slightly better on the Swifts, but then again I havent found anything out there in their price range that does and in some cases some roofs that cost a lot more and still dont.  That being said the B&L Discoverers are not far behind.  For the Cabelas close out they are worth every penny and then some.  If your looking for a great set of Poro's with a great amount of eye relief snatch these up.

UPDATE: Low Light test:  I went outside at about 6pm today was overcast and at this time all streetlights were on cars had headlight on.  Test was to go in my backyard no lights around and look down a darkened alley at a house about 60 yards away.  Both the Swifts and the B&L performed great.  On the house is a brick chimmeny (sp) and was not visible to the naked eye.  With both sets of binoculars I was able to see the chimmeny as well as with a rest see the mortor between the bricks.  I could see a bit more detail with the Swifts but I will not say that is was any clearer just the fact that it has a 1/2 power magnification.  So in low light both were great and will call it a draw.

Again Lucznik thanks for the the advice, I am sure my father in law will be very very happy with these binoculars.

Edited by Acenturian

- Anonymous

dclark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2005 at 10:15
   I purchased two pairs of the B&L Discoverer's last year when they were on closeout at Sierra Outfitters - an 8X 42 for me and a 10X42 for my son.  The only disadvantage that I can find is that the twist out eyepieces don't stay twisted out very good while you are carrying them around, for those of us that don't wear glasses.  It is a minor inconvenience for me, but no inconvenience if you wear glasses like my son.
  The RainGuard coating is simply fantastic.  I suspect that the above comments about the Swift Audobon's are very true, but I would have a hard time passing up the B & L Discoverer's at the closeout price for such a small difference in optical quality.
   In the long run I am expecting more problems with such things as collimation and fogproof performance than I would expect with a really good pair of roof prism binoculars, but I am not sure about that and they are guaranteed for life.
   I am beginning to believe that a pair of  these Discoverers at 10 X 42 and a pair of super premium 8X30's for those times when a  smaller, lighter pair of binoculars is needed would take care of anyone's needs for life.

Don Clark
elkhorn98 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elkhorn98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 10:42
Another vote for swift audubons.
gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2005 at 20:14
I'm another avid owner of Swift Audubons.  I don't necessarily think you need to spend the extra money for the ED glass unless these are going to be your only pair of binoculars.  The regular Audubons are fabulous.

Having said that, I'd love to get a deal on a pair of 10x Discoverer porros...
gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2005 at 10:32

After reading all of the recent posts regarding the Cabela's discount on the 10x42 B&L Discoverer's, I ordered a pair last night.  Can't wait to get them in and compare them side by side with:

1]  Swift Audubon porros (non-ED)

2]  Japanese made Olympus Pathfinder 10x42 EXPS

3]  B&L Custom 10x40's

4]  Nikon Action EX Extreme 8x40's

5]  Minolta Activa WP FP 12x50's

6]  Bushnell Legend 8x40's

7]  B&L Legacy 10x50WA

(Yes, I have wa-a-a-a-a-a-y more porros than I need... but not as many as I want!)

This should make for a g-r-r-r-r-r-eat New Year's outing.  I'll post a "Porro-Wrap-Up" once I get the Discoverer's delivered.

Edited by gremlin
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2006 at 09:34
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2006 at 12:23
Where can you find competitive pirces on Swift optics?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2006 at 21:36

I dont know about their scopes but this is where I ordered a pair of Swift Audubon binoculars, about the best price on the web and they shipped pretty fast.

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/binocular-spotting-scope-c omparison.asp?mainid=5&catid=1&subID=806

$342 for the ED glass model and $249 for the regular model.

good Luck

AC

- Anonymous

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic