OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex or Elite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex or Elite
    Posted: December/02/2010 at 09:55
A buddy of mine wants to replace the banner on his 30-06 as it never holds zero, and doesn't want to spend a bundle.  Does the diamondback compare to the elite 3200 in terms of glass and quality or would he have to go to the viper?  As of now he is set on getting the 3200.  Thanks for any help.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!!"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 09:59
Get the Viper 2-7x if he is okay with that power range.  It is better than either the 3200 or Crossfire.  It is on such a good sale right now it is a super buy.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:05

The Viper 2-7 ST mentions is the best buy going right now.  IF he wants more power or is set on the 3200 its not abad scope. It does have rainguard and I had one that held up fine.  But the Viper would be leaps and bounds better than it.

Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:09
Originally posted by Teddy Bear Teddy Bear wrote:

A buddy of mine wants to replace the banner on his 30-06 as it never holds zero, and doesn't want to spend a bundle.  Does the diamondback compare to the elite 3200 in terms of glass and quality or would he have to go to the viper?  As of now he is set on getting the 3200.  Thanks for any help.

Here's a review of 3-9's by Koshkin, that was originally posted on this site.  It includes the 3200 and the Diamondback:  http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:qinexpensive-scopeq-comparison&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4.

As for Viper vs. Diamondback, you'll have to see if your eyes can tell the difference.  Mine can, but your buddy can't look through my eyes, so it does him no good.  Right now, they're closing out the 2-7x32 Vipers, so if he can live with that size vs. a 3-9, he can have Viper glass for less than a Diamondback.

FC
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:22
what everyone else said.  the viper is closer in comparison to the 4200 elite than the 3200.
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:41
Sorry fellas, should have said he wants a 3-9x40, and I don't think that those Vortex clearout prices are even available up here in the north.  Just wondering if the glass quality of the diamondback is equal to that of the 3200.  I know if it was my scope it would be a viper or a 4200.
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:48
Also specs say the diamondback has a considerable edge over the viper in field of view which could make a difference on a running deer.  44.6-14.8 ft/100yds for the diamondback as compared to 35.5-12.2 ft/100yds for the viper.(vortex website) 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:05
A lot of times you can find a basic 3-9x40 at a discounted price compared to other models within each brand.  I would not select the bottom line of any optics company but it can be hard to convince someone that better glass will benefit them. First choice would be Zeiss Conquest second would be Bushnell 4200 below those you really need to compare them side by side and look for best price compared to quality. Many companies have promo specials on their basic 3-9x40 scopes Burris Fullfield II often comes with some extra bonus equipment or rebate and you need to watch what is available in your area since you are out of country.  Vortex was unknown a few years ago but they have worked hard to gain market share and the warranty is very good. However the 3200 has the rainguard finish and that would be enough to sway my decision in favor of it.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:07
The redfield revolution in 3-9 would be a good choice as well.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:20
I think Nikon has brought back the Monarch 3x9x40.  That would be a good choice.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:55

Quote I would not select the bottom line of any optics company but it can be hard to convince someone that better glass will benefit them. First choice would be Zeiss Conquest

3-9x40mm is the bottom of the line Zeiss (just saying).

grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:58
Just get the diamondback then. It won best scope under 200$ by a large margin
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 16:09

If he's set on the 3200, it might be hard to change his mind.  I think the 3200 is very serviceable and I like the rain guard, I don't have any objections to this choice.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic